Guess who is going to bolster our (US) image with the Arabs?

angie

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 10:03 pm
Joe wrote: "After 9-11 this administration had the best chance in history to gain favor in the Arab world and they blew it for a chance to knock off Saddam. "

Bingo.

Of course, "knocking off Saddam" for the neocons had nothing to do with spreading democracy and everything to do with oil.

BTW, why is there no call for "democracy" in Saudi Arabia, the land of Bush's oil buddies ?

And, while I'm asking rhetorical questions, whatever happened to the search for what's his name ?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 10:57 pm
nuke France? I admit I skip franceneg threads, and I admit I didn't think some of the french behaved well at all during wwii, but then I have some questions about us too. And other questions about others. In any case, I am not belligerantly antifrance so I don't nose into those threads much. but nuke? tell me you're exaggerating?
0 Replies

gravy

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 11:01 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
We should brief them on democracy otherwise they are likely to be as disappointed with their political leaders as we are

There are occasions, where people in the middle east have got a taste for democracy. In many cases, these democratic bubbles are burst either by the meddling of US, or by scapegoating the US for meddling.

E.g. Iranian presidential elections of 1997:

(Granted Iran is not an arab state, and not a democracy by any definition except the Iranian Government's.)

Nonetheless, overwhelming (80%+) participation in that election gave people a taste of participation in their destiny. Incidentally, It was the overwhelming voter turnout of Iranian women in that election that brought Khatami to power. (The valiant struggle of Iranian women towards equality is a matter for some other thread)

The bitter aftertaste was the abject failure of Mr. Khatami to carry the people's mandate, while exposing the un-democratic core of that system of government that subsequently devoured the democratic aspects.

How was this 'democratic' aspect quashed? By accusing its proponents to be pro-American turncoats. (the US's posture of 'anything to destabilize the regime is welcome' didn't help either)

US foreign policy makers would do well enough NOT to directly involve with democratization (political meddling). Even assuming the sentiment is genuine (an assumption lost on 95% of the population of the ME), past history of transgression and fresh images of violence are hard to erase.

US foreign policy would fare better with support for the groundwork towards democratization (education, health, peace), preferrably through neutral channels and surrogates.

(...signing off from utopistan...)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 11:07 pm
angie wrote:
Joe wrote: "After 9-11 this administration had the best chance in history to gain favor in the Arab world and they blew it for a chance to knock off Saddam. "

Bingo.

Of course, "knocking off Saddam" for the neocons had nothing to do with spreading democracy and everything to do with oil.

BTW, why is there no call for "democracy" in Saudi Arabia, the land of Bush's oil buddies ?

And, while I'm asking rhetorical questions, whatever happened to the search for what's his name ?

Actually, the US IS starting to exert more pressure on such notoriously unpleasant regimes as that of the Saudis - now that it sees its national interests as making this important - but it always exerted SOME, through various means.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 07:00 am
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/STATE_HUGHES?SITE=FLMYR&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Rice Introduces Hughes As New Diplomat

By ANNE GEARAN
AP Diplomatic Writer

Quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Declaring the United States "must do a better job of engaging the Muslim world," Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice introduced former presidential adviser Karen Hughes Monday as the Bush administration's choice for a State Department post designed to change Islamic perceptions about America.

Hughes, pending confirmation by the Senate, would become undersecretary of state for public diplomacy with the rank of ambassador.

"I'm eager to listen and to learn," Hughes said, with Rice standing at her side.

From the White House, President Bush said "spreading the universal principle of human liberty" is key to changing the conditions that spawn terrorism and thus a crucial part of the nation's long-term security strategy.

"This will require an aggressive effort to share and communicate America's fundamental values while respecting the cultures and traditions of other nations," Bush said in a statement. "Karen Hughes has been one of my most trusted and closest advisers and she has the experience, expertise and judgment to lead this critical effort."

Choosing one of his most-trusted aides "signifies my personal commitment to the international diplomacy that is needed," Bush said.

Introducing Hughes at the State Department, Rice said the United States must do much more to counter the "hateful propaganda" that is so common in the Islamic world.

Rice said Hughes believes strongly that the United States "must mobilize young people around the world to shatter the mistrust of past grievances and to foster a new spirit of tolerance and mutual respect."

Also in attendance at the ceremony was Dina Powell, an Egyptian-born former White House aide who is slated to be a top aide to Hughes.

Hughes, who for years has had a major voice in crafting Bush's domestic message, is a former counselor to the president who left the White House in 2002 to move her family back to Texas.

She is also a former Texas television reporter. She has continued to advise the president from her home in Austin. Although not a diplomat by training, Hughes had a hand in several foreign policy initiatives during Bush's first term, including efforts to promote democracy and improve the lives of women and children in Afghanistan.

Hughes and Powell will focus on Bush's plan to spread democracy in the Middle East, an effort that has gained momentum with recent elections in Iraq and the Palestinian territories.

The two nominees are the latest close Bush aides to follow Rice to the State Department. Rice was Bush's White House national security adviser during his first term. She succeeded Colin Powell as the top U.S. diplomat in January.

[bolded parts added by me, obviously]

I am just wonder when bush, rice and Hughes are going to have another church service on air force one.

If this was Clinton having all these women slavishly following himÂ…

All in all, I don't think she is going to make too much differenence either way. So the Senate may as well confirm her as anyone else. I am curious about the Egyptian born former aide, she make a positive difference depending on her politics.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 10:23 am
I too don't think the appointment will make much of a difference. She is still part of the Bush regime, a regime which broke trust with almost all of its long-standing allies to invade Iraq pre-emptively and unilaterally. Once trust has been broken, it's difficult to re-establish that trust. Certainly it will take more than a perceived "softer" appointee.

The Bushies don't get it. Their arrogance and disdain for the rest of the world lead them to believe they are intellectually superior, that they can behave one way and speak another way with no real consequences. In fact, the rest of the world is much smarter than they think and is onto them big time.
0 Replies

Maximos1984

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 03:22 pm
I don't think that Arabs hate or have a bad image of the American people .. coz we don't we just agains the US system! besides we're against our new government ..so !
0 Replies

StSimon

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 03:41 pm
PDiddie wrote:
Karen Hughes couldn't sell a doorknob to anyone but a suburban Republican.

And because she was so successful at that in 2000 and 2004, that's where she should stay, and what she should do. After all, there are oodles of those sheople who are going to need doorknobs as pacifiers when the terrorists strike again (scheduled for shortly before Election 2006, so the GOP can continue its Borg-like assimilation of the planet Earth).

The Bulldog is back! This should be good!
0 Replies