Politics of Baseball???

woiyo

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 07:48 am
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/11/sports/baseball/11chass.html?

I will admit bias in this matter.

I love the Game, playing it, watching it, talking about it...EVERYTHING ABOUT IT!

I was somewhat disappointed to learn that during the '90's, steroid use MAY have tainted some of the records established. I am somewhat disappointed that the Union and Mgmt did not want to do anything about it as those "records" increased revenues on both sides.

I am somewhat happy to see that Union and Mgmt have established some form of testing which needs a chance to see if it will work.

But what I can NOT understand is WHY the House Committee, who I am sure has better things to do, will spend taxpayer dollars in trying to get Ballplayers to "squeal" on each other, "for the benefit of the children" (as they say).

Well if they are so concerned about the "children, why have they not investigated pharmicutical companies about mercury? child obesity ? or even to quote the attahced article...

"Perhaps in return for their appearance before the committee, baseball players and officials could ask the members their own questions, such as: Why didn't you ban ephedra before Steve Bechler, the young Baltimore pitcher, died after taking it?"

What say you all?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,217 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 08:06 am
The testing and punishment they have established is a joke.

For one, you have to realize that steroids aren't just a baseball "problem," they're in sports in general: NBA, NFL, ect. Look at the NFL, the average lineman is almost 100lbs heavier and FASTER than they were 15 years ago. It's not evoloution. Nobody talks about it, because the public is naive and uneducated about 'roids...the testing in the NFL is a joke too. The ratio they test for in the blood leaves a pretty wide gap to allow some steroids in the system.

Another thing, steroids aren't just used by the handful of huge power hitters in baseball, I think it's even more players on it than you'd think. I laugh when someone "questions" whether McGwire or Sosa took steroids. Also, I know a minor league player, who claims there was only 4-5 players on his team I saw play a couple seasons ago that didn't openly talk about their steroid use. A lot of them didn't look like the stereotypical steroid user. Even though it's not fair to the natural guys who are in great shape to point fingers, I think roids are pretty rampant in sports.

Anyway, I don't think they should asterik the records. Even though Bonds wouldn't have the numbers he's had if he stayed natural, I get the feeling players take steroids just so they can compete, nevermind succeed. But is it fair to the past players? That's the big debate. I'm sure those guys would just have soon juiced if it was as widely available(but they didn't). Guess it's just another stage/era of baseball.

As far as testing, it's going to impossible to completely eliminate steroids. There are drugs athletes can take that will hide the 'roids in tests, there are drugs that have short half-lives, and these guys could even just bulk up on them in the off-season, when they're not being tested.

Guess my point is, you can't really blame the players directly, why wouldn't you take steroids if it's a matter of millions of dollars? If the league wants to make a drastic change as far as getting rid of the drugs, they'll have to make a strong stand, like they do in the Olympics. Right now, nothing has changed much, and steroids aren't going anywhere in baseball.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 11:13 am
I wouldn't take them b/c it's the wrong thing to do. Simple as that. The money doesn't matter.

I don't have a problem with the congressional hearings, as it's within their rights, and something needs to be done with the problem; it's obvious that baseball isn't going to fix it in on their own.

I would say that probably half the players in the league use some form of steroid or another. That's why they won't crack down upon it; it would destroy entire teams...

Sad, really.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 11:23 am
I don't think it will destroy any teams, I just don't think the league really wanted to open this can of worms. They'll be investing money into something that will possibly cut down on production numbers(HR's, RBI's), which could have people lose interest. It's kind of sad, but it's hard to reverse an ugly situation like this once it's the norm.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 11:30 am
Good point. I guess we should think of Baseball as any other big business; adverse to regulation, no matter the consequences...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 11:59 am
So the NEW testing policy currently being used in your opinions, is inadequate?

I understand better results are obtained by blood tests rather then urine tests which is being used by MLB.

I submit, that COngress is TOO LATE to start their investigation and should wait to see how the new policy is used (or abused). Congress should have investigated this YEARS AGO when the MLB installed the testing policy in the minor leagues.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 12:00 pm
Quote:

Yeah, the new policy is a joke. THere's little randomness to it and it's too easy to lay off to avoid the testing, not to mention a lack of accountability for people who are caught.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 12:03 pm
I think tackling the steroids problem should be Selig's biggest priority right now. I think using them is cheating, and I think it sucks.

I just hope that the risk of getting caught cuts down on steroid use this season. It'll be interesting to see how the power numbers look at the end of the season!
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 12:14 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, the new policy is a joke. THere's little randomness to it and it's too easy to lay off to avoid the testing, not to mention a lack of accountability for people who are caught.

Cycloptichorn

Why is it a joke? Is it a joke becuase they use urine instead of blood?

From a "randomness" standpoint, I understand 5 Red Sox were tested yesterday. The "testers" came un-announced and pick 5 guys (names not released).
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 12:18 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
I think tackling the steroids problem should be Selig's biggest priority right now. I think using them is cheating, and I think it sucks.

I just hope that the risk of getting caught cuts down on steroid use this season. It'll be interesting to see how the power numbers look at the end of the season!

I do not disagree that taking them to "bulk up" is cheating. The penalty should be more severe for 1st time offenders (it is a very short).

Yet, if taken by prescription, such as some HGH, is that OK?

Is getting your ankle tendon "sewn back up" and being given a pain killer in order to perform, is that somewhat comparable to "performance enhancing drugs"?

Do we allow Govt to regulate this?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 12:50 pm
I don't think taking prescribed pain medication and using steroids on one's own are the same.

Here's a real-life parallel: I broke my elbow three weeks ago and was given various pain meds after surgery, including morphine. Alas, the morphine is all gone, but I have other stuff to take as I see fit. I use it appropriately, IMHO, but if I handed it out to friends or stashed the pills for recreational purposes later, that wouldn't be OK.

That's the distinction I'd draw...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 01:52 pm
Woiyo, there's no way in hell a pro athlete is going to be prescribed HGH just because he wants it. I'm sure some of these athletes have doctors they work with that know what they're on, and help them monitor their health during steroid cycles, but they can't prescribe the drugs to them.
0 Replies