Are daytime soap operas going to be extinct in 5 years?

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2018 01:45 pm
There are only 4 left

Sturgis

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2018 02:00 pm
@singlesucks13,
They don't have as much of a pull as they once did. Back in the old days, when they began on radio and later when they became television staples during the day, they helped a housewife through the day. They served as a way to relax between jobs around the home for a short interval. Game shows had a similar purpose.

These days with more people in the workforce and with network execs looking to increase earnings they are losing the fight. Added to this, are the increased salary demands of many actors (especially contract actors). That takes away from profits which are acquired through advertising.

Will they make it another 5 years? Possibly and maybe even longer. Similar to the rest of television programs, changes are occurring daily.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2018 02:03 pm
@singlesucks13,
There are way more than four — but they're all from foreign countries where daytime soaps reach huge audiences and have a real effect in the national culture. Why not learn Turkish or the language of some other country where they're still being produced on a large scale?
Sturgis

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2018 02:08 pm
@hightor,
I have the feeling that the o.p. is referring to the U.S. and Eng!ish language market of daytime.

As you said, in other markets the appeal and viewership is huge. Maybe the U.S. market needs to explore what positive changes are to be made. From what I understand, the Spanish language serials are doing very nicely.
singlesucks13

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2018 02:19 pm
@Sturgis,
Young and Restless, Bold and Beautiful, General Hospital, Days of our Lives
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2018 04:00 pm
@singlesucks13,
Quote:
Are daytime soap operas going to be extinct in 5 years?

Based on the current trend, daytime soap operas are disappearing fast. I provided a Wikipedia link on American daytime soap operas. For many years there were as many as 10 to 18 soap operas in any single year. So, if there are only 4 currently on the air, they probably won't be around much longer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._daytime_soap_opera_ratings
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2018 09:40 am
@Sturgis,
Quote:
Maybe the U.S. market needs to explore what positive changes are to be made.
They need more helicopters and more scaly giant monsters that spit fire, and uncurable alien hosted diseases that turn people into flesh eating action puppets.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2018 10:19 am
@hightor,
Turkish series are the best! I started watching some of them about 10 years ago on youtube. There are groups of people that take turns providing english language subtitles for them. So addictive.

Magnificent Century !

(drats can't make the wikipedia link work)

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/17/world/middleeast/17iht-m17-soap.html

Quote:
“Muhtesem Yuzyil,” or “Magnificent Century,” a lavish prime time soap opera about the life of Suleiman the Magnificent and Hurrem, the slave who became his powerful wife, is as admired here as it is reviled.

Suleiman ruled the Ottoman Empire from 1520 to 1566 at the height of its glory and is still revered as Kanuni, or Lawgiver.

The series attracted a wave of protests from irate viewers and even government officials. Critics said it was disrespectful to the sultan because it showed him drinking alcohol — banned in Islam — and womanizing with concubines in the harem. They also complain that its scriptwriters take liberties with historical events and depictions of royal lives.

if you don't want to join the 457k youtube subscribers, there's always netflix

https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/80089559
Sturgis

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2018 12:31 am
@ehBeth,
Thanks for this tip! I enjoy Turkish movies (as long as they have the subtitles) and this sounds like something new to enjoy.

0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2018 08:59 am
@ehBeth,
Quote NY Times via ehBeth:
Quote:
Critics said it was disrespectful to the sultan because it showed him drinking alcohol — banned in Islam — and womanizing with concubines in the harem.

The alcohol criticsmI can understand due to the Muslim restriction. But isn't womanizing pretty much the whole purpose of having a harem?
izzythepush

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2018 08:05 am
@Blickers,
He's still revered in what is a very conservative country. People don't like having their heroes shown behaving unheroically regardless of how accurate the depiction might be.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2018 01:58 pm
The "Soaps" began in the 1930s, on radio. I was raised by my grandparents, and when my grandmother insisted that my grandfather buy a television in 1956, it was probably so she would watch the soaps. Years later, she had become disgusted at burning food (she was a first class cook) because she would go into the hall to watch a soap, and forget the kitchen for a moment. So we went out and bought her a nice portable television for the kitchen.

The soaps have been around for more than 80 years. The Guiding Light began on radio in 1937, and comfortably made the transition to television. Women and men watch them, college students watch them, college professors watch them. There have been comic soaps, and undoubtedly will be again. In the 1960s, there was even a satiric soap about a vampire, Dark Shadows, which ran for five yeras, and then made a brief come-back in 1991.

Soaps ain't goin' away.
0 Replies

singlesucks13

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2022 11:41 am
@singlesucks13,
I love revisiting old posts lol.

4 years later and Days of Our Lives is going to a streaming service only. Which means there will be only 3 left on Broadcast TV. I think the decision of Days going to Peacock will make them lose so much viewership and they will end up canceling the show.
Mame

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2022 11:44 am
@singlesucks13,
I consider the Real Housewives franchise to be a soap Smile I can proudly say I've never seen one episode.
0 Replies

PoliteMight

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2022 01:09 pm
@singlesucks13,
That is not true. Their are tons of channels out their with soaps on going all over the place. The problem is that
1. Other language
2. Soap channel
3. Tons of previous content to download.

Their you go. The reality is with the LGBT mass producing women who are unable to enjoy or be women turn being a girl into a luxury few are able to afford.

Like this person I was working under needed somebody to sleep with her, just so feel like she has some kind of interesting daring life, rather then looking good in front of her cliche
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2022 02:46 pm
Neighbours' last episode was broadcast a few weeks back.

It was an Australian soap very popular over here, so much so that British money funded it, and it was that stopping which caused the soap to end.

This was a major news item for anumber of days.

Neighbours launched the careers of many famous stars, Russel Crowe Guy Pierce, Chris Hemsworth, Kylie Minogue and Alan Dale among others.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2022 06:55 am
I think soaps are feeling the same pressure that evening serials are feeling. It's just easier and cheaper to put out reality TV. In the mornings, the equivalent is talk TV.
0 Replies