Child asked if he is Catholic or Christian?

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 05:59 pm
I wasn't sure if I should post this on the spiritual or the parenting forum, so here it is...

My 10 yr old son Mo, came home last night and asking if he was Catholic or Christian? I told him religion was in his heart. He insisted and said, "Yes Mom, but what religion are we?" I told him that since I remarried we have been attending a Christian church. That didn't stop him, he asked:
1. What are grandma and grandpa? - (Catholic)
2. So what were you when you where a little kid? (Catholic)
3. What are my dad and his parents? (Catholic)
4. What was I when I was a baby? (Catholic)
5. So what am I now? (This is where I don't know if I answered correctly)

Again I told him that he and his brother were baptized in a Catholic Church but since we started going to church with my husband I prefer to go to Calvary Chapel. I told him that I didn't want to force "religion" on them like my parents did on me. I wanted him to believe and except Jesus completely in his heart and that when he was old enough he can pick a "religion" to follow.

I hope I didn't scare him away or in some way shake his prior belief in God. Should I have handled it differently? Is it wrong not to push children into a religion or is it better to give them a foundation and let them build it up as they grow?

Thanks for your opinions..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 948 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Montana

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 06:01 pm
I think you handled it perfectly :-D
0 Replies

chispita73

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 06:04 pm
I sure hope so...

He said he like the church we go to now so that's always good. Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 06:08 pm
Yes, it is. I think it's great that you're giving him the room to make his own choices.

Stop worrying and welcome to A2K :-)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 06:13 pm
Since when are Catholics not Christians?

I think you handled it very well.

Do you have any idea where your son come up with such a question?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 06:21 pm
boomerang wrote:
Since when are Catholics not Christians?

My first thought exactly.

If he's 10 he should be able to comprehend the idea of there are several Christian religions and differentiate between Catholics and Protastants.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 10:07 pm
I used to participate in a religious debate forum and until that time I always thought of Catholics and Protestants as Christian. I still do, but surprisingly there are many people who don't.

Back to the original question, I think you handled it just fine. Depending on who your son is talking to at school he might be trying to see which kids are the same religion as he is. Do you know why he was asking the question?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 09:54 am
Thank you, Boomerang, I thought the same thing. Catholics are Christians, similar to Protestants are Christians or a Baptist is a Christian. Catholic, Protestant and Baptist is just the religious denomination.

I also agree and think you handled it just fine.
0 Replies

chispita73

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 11:38 am
Thank you for the welcome Montana..

I did ask my son why he was asking, he said he just wanted to know.

The truth be told... He goes to visit his dad every other weekend. Not too long ago he came home and said that he and his brother had gone to church with their grandparents. I asked if his dad went and he said yes.. I said, who's idea was it to go to church? He said that it was their dad's idea that they all go to church with his parents.

I asked because during the last 3 years of our marriage their dad never wanted to go to church. I would take the children on my own with my parents. I think their dad might have asked if we go to church and Mo being the innocent child he is might have said, yes but it's not like this...:-)

I didn't want to continue to push him to tell me why or who asked him about his religion. Should I be a little more persistent? We do live in a predominantly Catholic community but they have friends who are Jewish, Baptist and Christian.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 11:49 am
I don’t think you need to be more persistent. If he seemed fine with your answer then there is no reason to pursue it further. If he seemed confused or didn’t seem satisfied with this answer then I would just pose some questions to him. Like, how do you feel about God, your church, religion, etc? He was probably was just curious as his answer was I just wanted to know.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 11:51 am
I agree. He seems satisfied with the answer you gave so I would let it go unless he brings it up again.

I am curious though - do you think perhaps his dad or his grandparents could be giving him a hard time for not going to the Catholic curch anymore?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 12:13 pm
I agree with Linkat and Boomer. I think you handled it quite well and I wouldn't press the issue.
0 Replies

chispita73

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 12:14 pm
Link - I was thinking the same thing. I'm easy going like that. If he does bring it up again I probably will give him more info.

Boom - I actually do think that someone at dad's house is pushing them or asking when or why they haven't done their first communion.
Luckily I have full custody so when the time comes if they want to go to a Catholic Church and follow those religious guidelines I will back them up.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 12:51 pm
I think as well that you handled it perfectly well.

<I'm a catholic as well and knew before the age of ten that I was a Christian, like the Protestants/Evangelicals.>
0 Replies

chispita73

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 04:07 pm
I am going to leave the issue alone for now...
We'll see what happens over the weekend when we go to church.

Thank you ! Very Happy for all the good feed back.
0 Replies

chispita73

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 01:54 pm
Greetings All and Happy Monday!

Well at least now I know or have a pretty good idea why Mo has been asking about religion. When I got home from work on Friday he reported that his teacher had a birthday coming up. I asked if he knew what she'd like for her birthday and we could pick it up over the weekend. He told me that one of her favorite things is CANDY & Diet COKE.. I said okay we could pick her up a little something.

Just then he stopped me and said, "No mommy we can't get her any Coke or candy... Miss B promised to give it up for 40 days." I said we'd find something nice that wasn't candy or coke. Then he asked, "Mommy what religion is that, when you promise to give up the thing you love the most?" I said it was the Catholic religion but that it could really be anyone from any religion.. He went into his room and a few minutes later came out and reported that he would be giving up video games and his hot wheels for 40 days.. Smile

He was so excited about church on Sunday that he picked out what he was going to wear Friday night before bed time. My husband and I are very happy that he has so much interest in learning about God and the bible. He has been asking for his own Bible since before Christmas.. I think it's time we got him one. Any ideas on really good childrens King James Bibles? We've looked and can't seem to find one with the thumb tabs and I just know he'd enjoy that one the most..
0 Replies