Shep Smith: Journalists are not the enemy of the people

georgeob1

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2018 05:02 pm
@glitterbag,
You're Irish too ! Damn. (probably from Ulster)

I appreciate your views but would like to suggest another perspective, perhaps more attuned to the present situation.

A few months ago, in a club I frequent in San Francisco, I met a very amiable gentleman named Jason Reilly. He's a Black man, from Buffalo NY, a fellow at the Manhattan institute, an admirer of Thomas Sowell of the Hoover Institute, and a fairly regular editorial commentator in a number of newspapers and journals.

He's also the author of a work entitled "Please Stop Helping Us ". or "How Liberal policies are hurting Black Americans". I was curious and found and read a copy of this work. While I don't think it tells the whole story, Reilly makes the very apt point that, many of the well-intended liberal policies adapted in the last 50 or so years to foster the social and economic rise of Black Americans, have had unintended, adverse effects on Black Family cultures, fatherhood, desire for education, and self-reliance. They instead subsidize and encourage dependency and the breakup of family structures and fatherhood among Black Americans

Ironically it was exactly the opposite qualities: i.e. strong family bonds, a drive for individual achievement, and an entrepreneurial spirit that fostered the assimilation of the hordes of Scandinavian, Irish, Jewish, Polish Asian, etc. (and more recently Haitian) immigrants in this country. In fact there is there is a growing, but largely invisible and unacknowledged segment of Black Americans who indeed embody these qualities, and who are rising socially and economically in the country. Others are, unfortunately facing the opposite incentives, and this is indeed a problem.

I recognize that the force and limitations applied to American Blacks in the era of Jim Crow effectively stopped the clock on this natural process of Black assimilation, and that some affirmative action was required to firmly end their action. Now we are left mostly with the adverse side effects of otherwise well intended programs to benefit them. I agree with Reilly that we need to let the natural process work, and reward instead the same qualities that enabled others to rise in our society and economy. Failing to do this hurts Blacks, impedes their progress, and deprives them of the recognition due from others for the achievements they earn. ( this is also an needed part of the process).

We are, all of us, made from the same human material and share the same human nature. Envy, resentment and indolence are as much a part of our shared human nature as are achievement, industry and a desire for self-reliance. That said, as Machiavelli wrote, "men are industrious often only out of necessity" .

I believe that all should be judged by their achievements and, as MLK aptly put it , by the contend of their characters.We do no favors for anyone by lowering the standards for achievement - it limits their success and denies them the recognition of others.
neptuneblue

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2018 05:47 pm
White House: It’s in ‘Public Interest’ for Staff to Skirt Ethics Rules to Meet With Fox News

White House counsel Don McGahn exempted Bill Shine from ethics rules so he can have meetings with their former colleagues at Fox News.
LACHLAN MARKAY
08.13.18 11:17 AM ET

It is “in the public interest” for the White House's top communicator to be excused from federal ethics laws so he can meet with Fox News, according to President Donald Trump’s top lawyer.

Bill Shine, Trump’s newly minted communications director, and Larry Kudlow, the White House’s top economist, who worked at CNBC before his White House post, have both been excused from provisions of the law, which seeks to prevent administration officials from advancing the financial interests of relatives or former employers.

“The Administration has an interest in you interacting with Covered Organizations such as Fox News,” wrote White House counsel Don McGahn in a July 13 memo granting an ethics waivers to Shine, a former Fox executive. “[T]he need for your services outweighs the concern that a reasonable person may question the integrity of the White House Office’s programs and operations.”

Kudlow, a former CNBC host, received a similar waiver allowing him to communicate with former colleagues.

Including Shine and Kudlow, the White House has granted a total of 20 waivers to provisions of various federal ethics laws and the ethics pledge that President Trump instituted by executive order the week he took office. Federal agencies have granted many more such waivers.

The news media has been a particular object of those waivers. Early in the administration, after The Daily Beast questioned the propriety of then-White House chief strategist Steve Bannon’s communications with employees of Breitbart News, the pro-Trump outlet he led before and after his White House tenure, the White House issued a blanket ethics waiver allowing all senior West Wing appointees to freely communicate with the press.

That move was widely seen as an effort to retroactively cover Bannon for previous meetings that would’ve otherwise run afoul of ethics rules—a move that may itself have constituted a violation of those rules.

That blanket waiver, and the ones last month for Shine and Kudlow, underscore the perceived importance for the White House in working with—and drawing senior staff from—news outlets seen as friendly to the president and his agenda.

As McGahn put it in permitting high-level White House meetings with Fox, “I have determined that it is appropriate and in the public interest.”
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2018 06:37 pm
@georgeob1,
Quelle surprise. But no not Ulster....you? Didn’t Bill O’Reilly’s family come from Ulster?
georgeob1

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2018 07:16 pm
@glitterbag,
Well among folks from Galway, Cork, Limerick, Waterford and Claire there's a particular sour quality seen in some, not all, Ulstermen. My folks are from Waterford (Ardmore) and Clare (Ennis). I don't know about O'Reilly's origins, but the name suggests he may be OK.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2018 08:28 pm
@georgeob1,
I suppose, however I’m not a big believer in leprechauns, banshees or overly idealized romantic notions about the old country. Maybe you just haven’t made the complete break, but you might eventually. My dad’s family was the most recent arrivals in this country, but my mother’s family has been here much longer. Regrettably, neither side spent a great deal of time reminisincing about the moods of various counties. So, I can’t add much here if you are trying to distinguish between lace curtain and shanty Irish, but if those distinctions are important to you, I’m sure there must be someone else on the forum that can assist. Good luck
izzythepush

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2018 02:21 am
@glitterbag,
I know lots of Irish people, real Irish from Ireland. This is how they feel about the American war criminals who willingly took part in the Vietnamese genocide. They would be deeply offended when said war criminals claim to be Irish, they're not.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2018 04:28 am
Most of the real Irish as Izzy chooses to call them, when I was there in the late 1970s did not make an issue of what he hyperbolically calls the "Vietnam genocide." In fact, on a couple of occasions when some drunken wanter would go off on a tirade against me because of that war, the people around me would tell him to piss off. It is important to keep in mind here, that Izzy hates Americans and the Untied States, and never misses an opportunity to take a cheap shot.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2018 04:59 am
@Setanta,
Bullshit. I hate frauds, imposters and fascists. The majority of the people on A2K are American and I get on well with most of them.

I particularly despise sanctimonious arseholes who think they can lecture me on the horrors of the British Empire, which personally had nothing to do with me, who at the same time willingly participated in imperialist adventures of their own. To whit the Vietnam genocide, whose impact is still being felt decades later.

Quote:
Agent Orange — a chemical sprayed during combat by United States. troops between 1961 and 1971 — continues to have a shocking impact on hundreds of thousands of local children in Vietnam, more than 40 years after the war ended.

The chemical was a powerful herbicide used by US military forces during the Vietnam War to eliminate forest and crops used as cover by North Vietnamese and Viet Cong troops.

The US program sprayed more than 75 million litres of various herbicides over Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos from 1961 to 1971. Agent Orange, which contained the deadly chemical dioxin, was the most commonly used herbicide, is now regarded as one of the most toxic chemicals known to man.

It was later proven to cause serious health issues — including cancer, birth defects, rashes and severe psychological and neurological problems, and remains in Vietnam’s ecosystem, in the soil and in the fish people eat from rivers.

Nearly 4.8 million Vietnamese people have been exposed, causing 400,000 deaths; the associated illnesses include cancers, birth defects, skin disorders, auto-immune diseases, liver disorders, psychosocial effects, neurological defects and gastrointestinal diseases.

According to the Red Cross of Vietnam, up to one million people are currently disabled or have health problems due to Agent Orange, 150,000 of which are children.

Speaking to Dateline, which will air on SBS Tuesday at 9.30pm, Vietnam War Veteran Nguyen Thanh Son explained how planes sprayed chemicals on residents below, and how the it’s had a horrific impact on children of today.

“From the sky the planes sprayed the chemicals on us,” he told British television presenter Ade Adepitan. “The soldiers in the battlefield inhaled the poison [and] when they inhaled it in, their ears bled.

“When they sprayed the poison, you had to pour water on the cloth and cover your nose. Just one day after spraying, the trees shed their leaves. The branches were left bare and revealing our military positions.

“I directly inhaled these chemicals. They got into the ground and the water. When we cooked and drank we consumed those chemicals.”

Mr Son’s daughter, who is 41 years old and is considered a victim of Agent Orange because of her severe disability. His other child, who is 31, has gradually gone blind because of the chemical.

According to the investigation, birth defects in Agent Orange sprayed areas in Vietnam were three or more times higher than other places.

About 60 per cent of the children who live at the Hoa Binh Peace Village in Ho Chi Minh City — where the documentary was filmed — have parents directly exposed to the Agent Orange either during or after the war.

While some of the children at the hospital were abandoned at birth, others use the facility as a lifelong home.

Named Agent Orange after the coloured stripe on the barrels it was stored in, the US Army, supporting the South Vietnamese, spent a decade from 1961, spraying approximately 80 million litres over 30,000 square miles of southern Vietnam. The aim was to “smoke out” and weaken the Viet Cong enemy of the north, by decreasing their food supplies.

Studies have shown that dioxin still remains at alarmingly high concentrations in soil, food, human blood and breast milk in people who live near former US military bases.

According to the investigation, only a wire fence stops people from venturing in to the contaminated area.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/true-stories/dark-side-of-vietnam-reveals-cost-of-war/news-story/3448ad53dc083a3f761f113199f89c99

Now why don't you quote A Modest Proposal at me, as if a piece of satire nearly three hundred years old, whose author and subjects are long dead, is justification for the horrors unleashed in Vietnam. Those guilty of such disgusting war crimes are living happily in the west without fear of prosecution unlike the innocent children being born with birth defects today.

You have no moral authority whatsoever.
Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2018 05:11 am
@izzythepush,
I love it when some sanctimonious arsehole reads my post, votes it down, and then goes on a tirade. It is particularly hilarious from someone who seems to think that movies clips and comic books are good sources. Most of the bullshit you are posting here is . . .

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Itnb0hcPnqE/WbwccZMsQnI/AAAAAAAAKu4/KDmsDlF5fIYZjYEixaPf_ihKHOPelkOOgCK4BGAYYCw/s1600/Know%2BYour%2BPropaganda%2BTemplate%2B-%2BStraw%2BAmn.jpg
izzythepush

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2018 05:53 am
@Setanta,
You were voted down before I read your post. Despite you finding everything you disagree with hilarious, (maybe it's time to find a new word, google some synonyms,) film clips do show prevailing zeitgeist and attitudes.

When push came to shove you showed your true colours, far from being anti imperialist, as you claim, you'll support American imperialism/genocide, and American war criminals for that matter, if the person laying such charges is English.

I notice you've not commented on the news article I posted, (note, not a comic book or film clip,) I can only take it that you approve of what your country did, and is still doing, to millions of innocent Vietnamese civilians.

Unlike you I don't have a rose tinted approach to my country's imperial past. Here's a thread I started on atrocities in Kenya. Interesting to note that those who opposed the payment of compensation are all American.

https://able2know.org/topic/215727-1

You're as big a hypocrite as your buddy George.
Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2018 06:10 am
@izzythepush,
Utter bullshit--anyone paying attention will know that George is no buddy of mine. There is zero evidence of a settled policy of the United States government to exterminate the Vietnamese people. American, Korean and Australian soldiers in Viet Nam suffered the short- and long-term consequences of exposure to Agent Orange. Additionally, as it was manufactured in both Canada and the United States, employees at those facilities suffered the short- and long-term consequences of exposure. Additionally, there was significant environmental pollution at those sites as well. Harper's Tories tried to suppress the story, but a few years ago in Canada, the evidence of that environmental pollution and the effects on former employees came out. I don't know that any environmental claims are made in the United States, but the effects on former soldiers and factory employees has been well-documented.

It is typical of your style that you deal in hysteria and wild, unwarranted charges against others, because you cannot abide contradiction or criticism.
livinglava

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2018 06:34 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
I particularly despise sanctimonious arseholes who think they can lecture me on the horrors of the British Empire, which personally had nothing to do with me, who at the same time willingly participated in imperialist adventures of their own. To whit the Vietnam genocide, whose impact is still being felt decades later.

Global trade means that any act of exploitation that benefits any 'empire' also ends up benefiting other 'empires' that trade with those 'empires.' So the British economy benefited from the Vietnam war to the extent that the US economy benefited from it and traded with the UK to its benefit. Likewise, the US has benefited from the history of British colonialism in multiple ways. Really the only sense in which the US became independent from the British empire is in terms of political/governmental authority. It's not actually possible to achieve economic independence except by ending trade by becoming completely internally self-sufficient and autonomous, which never happens, as far as I know.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2018 07:09 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Utter bullshit--anyone paying attention will know that George is no buddy of mine.

Yet you rush straight to his defence, and then you spend a couple of paragraphs defending your actions in Vietnam.

I think dropping napalm and agent orange on children is a bad thing. You seem fine with it as long as the perpetrators are American.
Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2018 12:30 pm
@izzythepush,
Once again, this is utter bullshit. I responded to your typically anti-American remarks addressed to GB. In particular, I responded to that idiot video which you alleged could stand for the attitude of all the Irish toward Americans and the United States. Talk about confirmation bias.

I have not defended my actions in Viet Nam--as usual you become more hysterical and make wilder and wilder accusations--lies in fact. My MOS-s were field medic and medical records and reports. The Army Medical Corps did not drop bombs. What a scurrilous array of lies and accusations comprise what passes for rhetoric at your house.
livinglava

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2018 05:56 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Setanta wrote:

Utter bullshit--anyone paying attention will know that George is no buddy of mine.

Yet you rush straight to his defence, and then you spend a couple of paragraphs defending your actions in Vietnam.

I think dropping napalm and agent orange on children is a bad thing. You seem fine with it as long as the perpetrators are American.

The left-wing social-liberal culture was a cultural bomb being dropped on the US at the time, which has been addicting generations of children to recreational drugs and sex in order to extract money from them as they burn up in desire-driven self-destruction.

Who are the perpetrators when children are seduced into a culture of self-destruction through morally-naive indulgence?

izzythepush

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2018 06:11 am
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/27/de/bc/27debc3dacc4764a4dfc3c9a6c2bc4e5.jpg
revelette1

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2018 08:14 am
Quote:
On Periscope, Alex Jones tells supporters to get their “battle rifles” ready against antifa, the mainstream media, and “Chicom operatives”

Quote:
ALEX JONES (HOST): It now stands with you and the U.S. military who I know already understand who the Chicom operatives and the traitors are to understand who's trying to take the First Amendment, who’s trying to bankrupt the country, who’s trying to shut down everything, who went ahead and admitted they wanted to bankrupt health care in America to bring us to our knees. We’re under attack and you know that, and you pointed out mainstream media is the enemy.

But now it’s time to act on the enemy before they do a false flag. I know the Justice Department's crippled, a bunch of followers and cowards. But there’s groups, there’s grand juries, there’s -- you called for it and it’s time politically and economically and judiciously and legally and criminally to move against these people. It’s got to be done now. Get together the people you know aren’t traitors, and aren’t cowards, and aren’t hedging their frickin’ bets like all these other assholes do, and let’s go, let’s do it. Because they’re coming. Now, in your wisdom you may be playing possum and waiting for them to come in. But America needs to know that they’ve got their little pathetic commie red teams ready. And they’ve got their targets picked out: the sheriffs, the judges, the police chiefs, the patriots, the veterans, the talk show hosts, everybody. And everyone’s going to be amazed when they come and when those cowards come and it’s going to hit in the middle of the night, and they’re coming. And they’re coming. And they’re coming.

They think they can really take down America. And this is it. So, people need to have their battle rifles and everything ready at their bedsides and you got to be ready because the media is so disciplined in their deception. Antifa attacked all these people at the White House, beat up reporters, beat up women, children, no coverage. And they’ve got discipline folks, they’ve got criminal discipline because they’re a bunch of followers.

MM
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2018 06:46 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
He has defined journalists who falsify and/or distort the truth as the enemies of the people, and he is right.

Well, if that's the interpretation you're going with, then Fox would certainly be number one on that list. But that's not what's happening. Singling out specific stations that report unflattering news while simultaneously praising specific opinion only sources is what trump is complaining about.

And he's wrong.

He's complaining about singling out specific stations? Never heard him say anything bad about people who single out specific stations. Never heard him complain about praising specific stations. And I have still seen no evidence that he ever called the press the enemy of the people.
neptuneblue

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2018 06:54 pm
@Brandon9000,
Well, you must live in an alternative universe.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2018 07:54 pm
@izzythepush,
For what it’s worth, I didn’t see your comments as anti-American.....I also didn’t think you were attacking medics.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 01:25:43