Shep Smith: Journalists are not the enemy of the people

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 05:27 pm
Shep Smith: Journalists are not the enemy of the people.

White House stops CNN reporter from attending a Rose Garden event.
Shepard Smith shares his thoughts on Fox News Channel.

Published on Jul 26, 2018
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 23 • Views: 23,925 • Replies: 703

izzythepush

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 05:43 pm
Quote:
President Donald Trump's media attacks raise the risk of violence against journalists, UN experts have warned.

In a statement, David Kaye and Edison Lanza of the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights called the attacks "strategic" and said they undermined press freedom and "verifiable facts".

The comments follow hours after Mr Trump's daughter Ivanka distanced herself from her father's attacks.

Mr Trump has repeatedly criticised the media before and during his presidency.

He has declared journalists to be "enemies of the people", drawing condemnation from across the political spectrum.

Earlier on Thursday, his daughter Ivanka broke from her father's remarks - prompting a tweet from Mr Trump in which he attacked "fake news" as the real threat.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45053406

This is how dictatorships start. As well as Kim Jong Un, the two leaders Trump shows most respect for are Erdogan and Putin, two leaders who have managed to extend their rule way beyond the legal term when they took office.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 05:51 pm
@Real Music,
Good on ya, Shep
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 06:02 pm
What a pompous, sanctimonious, self-righteous, self-serving blowhard. The press conference was over. This particular reporter was, as shown there on tape, thanked for her attendance, and repeatedly told the press conference was over. She still just kept shouting asinine questions like "Do you feel Cohen has betrayed you?"

Freedom of the press does not mean freedom to bust into the White House and rudely shout questions after being politely told that it was time (for her and everyone else) to leave. That's simple trespass and disturbance of the peace, not "journalism."
layman

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 06:15 pm
Quote:
The White House on Thursday defended its decision to bar a CNN correspondent from attending an open press event but contended it had nothing to do with the questions she asked."It had nothing to do with the content of the question," Gidley told reporters.

Gidley said Collins "was told repeatedly to leave the Oval Office." She refused and stayed "despite staff, Secret Service, everyone trying to usher everyone out of the room," Gidley said. "And that can't happen."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-cnn-kaitlan-collins-white-house-20180726-story.html

To hear these self-important "reporters" tell it, the white house has absolutely no right to maintain order or maintain it's own schedule. Only reporters should control those things. They can take over the Oval Office and stay as long as they like, while forcing the President of the United States to cater to them.

They didn't "ban reporters" from anything. They simply disciplined one unruly and rude person for refusing to follow protocol and for violating all standards of common decency.

Quote:
Deputy press secretary Hogan Gidley said Kaitlan Collins was denied access to Trump's Rose Garden event with the European Commission president on Wednesday because of her refusal to leave the Oval Office during a previous availability with the president.

Press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders on Wednesday said the White House had made clear that other CNN journalists were welcome at the Rose Garden event, just not Collins.

"To be clear, we support a free press and ask that everyone be respectful of the presidency and guests at the White House," she said.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 06:26 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
Freedom of the press does not mean freedom to bust into the White House and rudely shout questions after being politely told that it was time (for her and everyone else) to leave. That's simple trespass and disturbance of the peace, not "journalism."

Well, Sarah Huckabee Sanders repeatedly dodges and deflects questions she doesn't want to answer. She continues to ignore questions in the "daily" briefings and if she does answer a direct question, the answer is incomplete and leaves even more ambiguity. She sticks to a script and if a question is asked that's not on the script, she ignores it. How is that transparency?

Hint: it's not.
layman

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 06:32 pm
@neptuneblue,
What does 'transparency' have to do with anything I said, or anything else involving this whole incident? This was a public meeting by Trump with some kind of foreign official, who is also entitled to respect. Her questions didn't even have anything to do with the nature of the occasion.

Generally both Trump and the foreign dignitary speak at these things, then each answers questions about what they just said, not about how good their wife is in bed or some **** like that.
neptuneblue

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 06:35 pm
@layman,
Transparency is everything. How does that not apply here?
layman

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 06:39 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

Transparency is everything. How does that not apply here?

How does "transparency" have anything to do with your supposed right to walk into my house and shout at me after I tell you to leave? Does your desire to follow me into my own bathroom because you want "transparency" give you the right to trespass on my property and invade my privacy?

I don't think so! Homey don't play dat.
neptuneblue

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 06:44 pm
@layman,
Did we watch the same video???

Trust me, I'm not following you anywhere, let alone a bathroom. This was a PRESS BRIEFING. Not a private conversation.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 06:52 pm
@neptuneblue,
You have your answer in a nutshell. Asking questions is disturbance of the peace. How long before printing such questions gets you locked up for sedition.

They've already targeted minorities, LGBT, Black and Hispanic people, now they want to get rid of the free press. They won't want anyone reporting on gerrymandering and illegal ID requirements to stop people exercising their right to vote.

layman

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 06:58 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

Did we watch the same video???

Trust me, I'm not following you anywhere, let alone a bathroom. This was a PRESS BRIEFING. Not a private conversation.

Are you really that ignorant? The press conference had gone on for some time, prior to where this video picks up. Questions from reporters, both foreign and domestic, were asked and answered. The press conference was scheduled to last only so long, not FOREVER.

This reporter was not singled out. EVERYONE was told that the question and answer session had ended. EVERYONE. But that doesn't apply to HER, she thinks. She can defy secret service orders and scream as long as she wants if you ask her.

Nobody in this country has the right to be disruptive and/or to trespass. The press seems to think they have that right, somehow. Fraid not.
neptuneblue

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 07:05 pm
@layman,
Press conferences don't last FOREVER. They end when the question and answer period has concluded. In this case, the willful ignorance of reporter's questions was not transparent nor was it complete. Therefore, answer the question, truthfully and completely, and THEN it's over.

Real Music

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 07:07 pm
@izzythepush,
1. Trump seems to think that the press is suppose to only give him softball easy questions.
2. Trump seems to think that the press is suppose to praise his every action.
3. Trumps seems to think the press is suppose to kiss his ass and only say good things about him.
4. Trump seems to think the press is never suppose to say anything negative about him.
5. I see why Trump admire other authoritarian leaders.
6. Trump wants to rule as an authoritarian dictator just like them.
vikorr

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 07:07 pm
@layman,
Quote:
How does "transparency" have anything to do with your supposed right to walk into my house and shout at me after I tell you to leave? Does your desire to follow me into my own bathroom because you want "transparency" give you the right to trespass on my property and invade my privacy?
Such an asinine and irrelevant comparrison:

Quote:
to walk into my house
-She was invited, while you compare with not being invited
- you compare a public institution with your private dwelling
- you compare an organisation that needs to be accountable for decisions, vs your personal life
Quote:
and shout at me

- you compare a person a distance away in a noisy room who doesn't have a microphone (so a raised voice is absolutely necessary - you will not hear normal conversation in that mess), to your close quarters, uncrowded, home.
Quote:
to follow me into my own bathroom
certainly inappropriate, nonsensical comparison:
- she didn't follow, but that's what you want to compare to
- public place by invite, versus private bathroom without invite

Basically almost every phrase and any words were very incorrect for comparison, highlighting ulterior motives, because honest comparison would never phrase things the way you just did. How then can your perspective carry any credibility?

That was the worst of your comparisons, but your other posts also have problems.

I personally think news papers and TV journalism leaves a lot to be desired, particularly in relation to their ethics, and the deceptiveness of their reporting (not that they lie, but that deception easily occurs through omission, and slanted perspective). That said, Trumps attacks on Law Enforcement, and particularly on Journalism, are incredibly harmful to democracy.
layman

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 07:13 pm
@vikorr,
The press conference was over. Period. I can't believe that posters on this forum are just as impudent as reporters.

Wait, I take that back. I can believe it. I see it every day. The same presumptuousness. The same smug arrogance. The same sense of entitlement that a spoiled two year old has. The same total lack of self-respect, let alone respect for others.
layman

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 07:20 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

Therefore, answer the question, truthfully and completely, and THEN it's over.

That may be the most nonsensical statement I've heard today, and I've heard plenty.
layman

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 07:25 pm
Trump just kept saying, 4 or 5 times, to everyone "Thank you" in a manner which was a clear announcement that time for questions was up.

A secret service agent, standing right next to this bitch, kept telling her, very politely, that it was time to leave (it's their job to enforce order at the white house). She ignored him and just kept shouting irrelevant questions.

If that's what reporters are expected to do, then they are, in fact, "enemies of the people," subject to criminal sanctions.

Everyone in this thread (so far) should get together, form an "occupy the Oval Office" gang, and go for it. See what happens.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 07:27 pm
@layman,
So truth isn't your forte.

Got it.
0 Replies

Rummy

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 07:35 pm
The only reason you Trumper's feel the media is "The Enemy Of The People" is because they are asking the tough questions and getting no type of affitmative response. You have Sarah, who's job it IS to answer press questions, but dodges and or reads from the script, in response to every tough question.
This President, (i have a hard time using that terminology) feels that every Government Agency, and the Press, should perpetually praise him and bow to his lies and FALSE STATEMENTS, and if they don't, they are The Enemy Of The People".
I've never been so embarrassed to be an American, and or a Republican.....

1. Forums
  2. » Shep Smith: Journalists are not the enemy of the people
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 03:12:22