The Last Night Of Dan Rather

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 10:11 am
Quote:
The Last Night of Dan Rather, anchor
Polarizing figure signs off 'CBS Evening News' Wednesday
Wednesday, March 9, 2005 Posted: 9:16 AM EST (1416 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- For Dan Rather, it's hardly a smooth sail into the sunset.

Still battered by his ill-fated story about President Bush's military service, Rather anchors his final newscast Wednesday without the wave of good will that accompanied Tom Brokaw's exit from NBC last year.

A CBS affiliate was taking a vote among its viewers on whether to air the network's prime-time tribute to Rather, and, in his last full week on the air, Rather finished a distant third in the ratings.

Also, a CNN-USA Today-Gallup poll released Tuesday night said the percentage of people who say they believe all or most of what Rather says has declined to 23 percent, compared with 34 percent in 2002.

Rather's 24 years gave him the longest-running continuous tenure in the anchor chair for a network newscaster. Rather, 73, is becoming a full-time reporter for CBS' "60 Minutes" franchise.

On his final broadcast -- the 24th anniversary of when he took over as "CBS Evening News" anchorman from Walter Cronkite -- Rather will end his series of reflections on some of the biggest stories he's covered (this time talking about the September 11 terrorist attacks) and briefly talk to viewers about the end of his tenure, said Jim Murphy, the broadcast's executive producer.

"It is a particularly trying time for CBS News and the 'CBS Evening News,' " Murphy said. "We would just like to do our jobs well and have our work graded on the strength of the newscast. This sideshow that is going on with the media who want to have fun picking on Dan ... It's not good and it's not fun for us."

One affiliate taking vote
The network and Rather have both taken blows to their reputations from September's discredited report about President Bush's National Guard service during the Vietnam war.

WWTV in Cadillac, Michigan, said it decided to let viewers vote on whether it should air Wednesday's prime-time tribute, "Dan Rather: A Reporter Remembers," after being inundated with "negative feedback" about Rather.

The CBS affiliate will air something else -- it wouldn't say what -- if a majority of voters turn thumbs down on Rather. As of Tuesday afternoon, more than 1,000 people had cast ballots with 63 percent voting against Rather, station spokeswoman Tessia Klix said.

The network wouldn't comment on its affiliate's actions. CBS spokesman Dana McClintock said he knew of no other affiliate that wasn't airing the special.

Contributing to the buzz about Rather's exit was a Monday interview that Cronkite gave to CNN's Wolf Blitzer. (See story)

Although Rather "did a fine job," Cronkite said he would have liked to have seen "Face the Nation" host Bob Schieffer replace Rather a long time ago. Both Cronkite and "60 Minutes" reporter Mike Wallace were also critical of Rather in a recent issue of The New Yorker magazine.

"The people inside who have used this opportunity to try and, I don't know, re-establish their own reputations and ruin his have really upset people and at times demoralized people," Murphy said.

Schieffer begins as Rather's temporary replacement Thursday.

CBS chief Leslie Moonves has said he wants to dramatically rework the broadcast, probably with multiple anchors, but there's no indication he is close to announcing Rather's permanent successors.

Schieffer, 68, noted Tuesday that the network has apologized and held some people accountable for the Bush story. He said he hopes to help CBS move forward.

"We hit a bad bump in the road," he said in Fort Worth, Texas, where he was honored by his alma mater, Texas Christian University. "What we have to do now is get back to work. We learned our lesson."

It's nice to see that the leftist media's "miopic zeal" has blown back in their faces for once. Rather's chomping at the bit to get a swipe at President Bush, not unlike other rabble rousers and demagogues, Mickey Moore, Al Franken, drove him to compromise three decades of good journalism for one night of political airtime. Serves him right. Very Happy

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/03/09/tv.cbs.rather.ap/index.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,057 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 05:58 pm
http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/graphics/rather_apology.jpg
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 06:12 pm
http://www.cagle.com/news/DanRatherRetires/images/summers.gif
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 06:12 pm
He should have stuck with being a weatherman.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 06:13 pm
http://www.cagle.com/news/DanRatherRetires/images/streeter.gif
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 06:15 pm
One incredibly biased leftie masquerading as a journalist down, 2 million to go...
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 06:17 pm
I have detested Rather's journalistic ethics ever since he went on the air to report that Texas school children were applauding John F. Kennedy's assassination. It was a flat out lie, of course, but whether something was true never bothered him much.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 06:21 pm
Good grief. I'd never heard that.

But, he was down right crazy as a **** house rat.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 06:23 pm
There weren't a lot of incidents like that, but over the years he got caught enough times that if his media colleagues had any ethics of their own, they would have had to call him on it. But he's not only crazy as but at times WAS a **** house rat, but he was big media's **** house rat and therefore a member of the club.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 06:24 pm
LOL!!!!!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 06:34 pm
last I heard Dan joined the Communist Party and intends to run for governor of Texas. (landside)Lyndon Johnson signed on as campaign manager. Lyndon continues to reside in the same cemetary that gave him and JFK the 1960 election.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 06:44 pm
If that was Dan's next scoop, I wouldn't be at all surprised.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 07:04 pm
Funny thing, I never considered Rather a "liberal" in any sense of that word. It's true that I didn't like his on-camera persona, so seldom watched CBS news. I might have missed something.

As to the cackling neocons on this thread, I'd like to point out that the independent panel which investigated the CBS allegations about Bush's Nationa Guard service came to the conclusion that it "cannot conclude that a political agenda" was behind the story. It further stated that it could reach no "definitive conclusion" as to the falsity or authenticity of the documents cited in the CBS Evening News report. The great crime that the network was found guilty of, mind you, was that it had not taken sufficient steps to ascertain the documents were, in fact, authentic. But the panel itself made no further conclusions on that score.

I'd also like to remind you that the ranking member of that panel was former Attorney General Dick Thornburg, who served under both Ronald Reagan and George Bush the elder. A staunch Republican, Thornburg would certainly have been the first to fault CBS and Rather for "political bias" if there had been even a tiny shred of evidence to support the charge.

I didn't like Rather. But I feel extremely sorry for him. I think he was done in, not by political bias, but by the cutthroat competitiveness which characterizes network news-gathering.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 07:08 pm
I agree, Andrew. Now Peter Jennings is the last of the old anchor men. Always watch him.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 07:12 pm
The only investigation conducted in the issue of the forged documents was conducted by CBS. Anybody who thinks the story, with the key facts in dispute by all witnesses, was run with no political motivation must really think we all just fell off turnip trucks. That's why so many of us hold big media in such utter contempt--they really do think we are so stupid we'll believe anything we've been told.

Actually that Texas school children story was very similar. Rather, not an anchor but a new CBS reporter at the time, was given the story by a "Methodist minister". Checking further, the teacher(s) and school children adamently denied the truth of the story. Rather ran it anyway.
This started a long pattern of his running stories that supported his political ideology with important facts omitted or changed.

Only he didn't limit the implication even to that one school. As I recall when he made that newscast, he just stated something to the affect that "Texas school children applauded. . ." I was young, ignorant, and liberal at the time, but I was appalled. I was living in a redneck paradise and I wasn't seeing anything but shock and grief from everybody.
http://weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/005/324nfvwe.asp
0 Replies