Homie dissed, city pissed

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 11:04 am
The banner says "Fire Rumsfeld" and it's on the main drag in homie Rumsfeld's part time home of Taos New Mexico. Near Kit Carson Park where the city has a space to advertise coming events such as a peace rally scheduled for 3/19/05. The city says them's fighting words and speech that is lewd. obscene, profane and libelous. The city, which has posted banners on the same site such as "The Town of Taos welcomes Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld". Jeffrey Haas, a local attorney says the town doesn't want the banner up because it doesn't agree with the message and stated "you can't put up one side and not the other." District Judge Peggy Nelson agreed saying "I think what the town is trying to do is place limits on the First Amendment" she then granted a restraining order against the city.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 392 • Replies: 5
No top replies

smog

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 11:10 am
A restraining order against the city? Rock on.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 11:13 am
I support the right to free speech, whether I agree with the content or not. So rock on, Taos, indeed.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 11:38 am
Liberal lawyers have fought for the rights of American neo nazis to march in the street.

There is something about the 1st amendment and free speech that should always transcend partisanship. But that is slowly becoming not the case in this country.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 11:44 am
I was amused when the ACLU assisted Rush Limbaugh with keeping his medical records private.

I think eating all that crow is what makes him so irrascible lately.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 11:46 am
But according to Bill O'Reilly, the ACLU are terrorists/terrorist sympathizers. Shocked

Does Rush Limbaugh feel the same way? :wink:

And forget the crow. It was probably all that Hillbilly Heroin that probably screwed him up for life...
0 Replies