Ceci N'est Pas Un Ambassador

PDiddie

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 07:52 pm
This goes so nicely with a Healthy Forests initiative that leads to cutting down more trees and a pending Consumer Protection bill which screws every consumer in America:

What do you do with a State Department official who actually says things like "There's no such thing as the United Nations?"

Why, you make him ambassador to the United Nations, of course.

I'm starting to think the Bush administration isn't really a government, but a highly sophisticated form of Dada performance art.

If Bush suddenly appoints Leonide Massine as our new Secretary of Dance and Donald Rumsfeld shows up with both of his eyes on the same side of his head...

Well, don't say I didn't warn you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 843 • Replies: 8
No top replies

old europe

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 08:12 pm
Re: Ceci N'est Pas Un Ambassador
PDiddie wrote:
I'm starting to think the Bush administration isn't really a government, but a highly sophisticated form of Dada performance art.

DADA is a virgin microbe
DADA is against the high cost of living
DADA limited complany for the exploitation of ideas
DADA has 391 different attitudes and colours according to the sex of the
president
It changes - affirms - says the opposite at the same time - no importance -
shouts - goes fishing.
Dada is the chameleon of rapid and self-interested change.
Dada is against the future. Dada is dead. Dada is absurd. Long live Dada.
Dada is not a literary school, howl

Laughing

Nevertheless, wasn't Magritte more a Surrealist than a Dadaist?

AND: So sad, this nomination... Sad
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 08:23 pm
PDiddie, added to your surrealism is the fact that certain members of the Sierra Club are trying to take over in order to add their support and money (the Sierra Club has quite a good foundation) to oppose immigration using the Sierra Club's position of encouraging population control. Turning positions topsy turvy has become such a science by conservatives that they have become masters at making their political attempts sound as if they come from the most reasonable people in the world. In addition, they make themselves sound like victims, battling all the big, bad wolves in the liberal camp.

Thank the goddess that the Sierra Club is still working at what its policy states it must do: try to save the natural beauty of this country.

Thanks for letting me vent (even though you had no choice, LOL). I never used to swear an awful lot, but since the appointment of dubya, I let 'er rip quite a bit. Actually, it feels pretty good. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 10:07 am
PDiddie: I think you may be on to something here. From the Dada Manifesto:

"I'm writing this manifesto to show that you can perform contrary actions at the same time, in one single, fresh breath; I am against action; as for continual contradiction, and affirmation too, I am neither for nor against them, and I won't explain myself because I hate common sense."

Tristan Tzara, the first neo-conservative?

Surrealist art
http://spanport.byu.edu/Faculty/rosenbergj/Images/Magritte.Pipe.jpg
"Ceci n'est pas un pipe"

Representational art
http://www.brendanloy.com/blog/images/corn-bush.jpg
"Ceci n'est pas un president."
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 10:09 am
joefromchicago wrote:

Representational art
http://www.brendanloy.com/blog/images/corn-bush.jpg
"Ceci n'est pas un president."

Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 01:11 pm
"Stick this where?"

Art education aside, the problem with the Bolton nomination isn't so much that the US will have fewer friends in the world. Bush has effectively demonized international cooperation, so who really cares if he nominates the equivalent of a diplomatic sociopath like John Bolton?

The problem is that at a time when we are fighting a two-front war, we have fewer and fewer allies. We have very little significant combat help, very little logistical help, and our troops are the ones paying the price.

Even staunch allies like Italy, with a few thousand troops in country, are insulted by the RWers on this board after a tragic friendly-fire mistake. ("Friendly fire". An oxymoron if there ever was one.)

If Bush can mend fences with the French, why can't the righty morons on this forum do likewise? What is the depth of the conservative xenophobia on A2K? I submit it has yet to be fathomed.

Bush should have nominated a UN ambassador that could build bridges with alienated allies, someone who could help deliver the international help our troops need.

Instead they give yet another middle finger to the world community.

And while conservatives snicker behind their hand, content in their clever "message" to the world, our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan continue to die. No pullout in sight, despite the singing and cheering and dancing emoticons posted pre-Iraqi election day.

John Bolton isn't going to be accomplishing much in the way of international cooperation, and more importantly, he probably contributes indirectly to more of our brave men and women dying in the desert for years to come.

Nice legacy, that.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 01:18 pm
Where did anyone here insult the Italians?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 01:25 pm
I knew there would be fireworks in the Dem camp when I saw the Bolton story yesterday.

I made popcorn Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 09:03 pm
I don't think the lady is right, that the guards targetted her.
But I admit it crossed my mind.

Reading with interest.
0 Replies