Raising a resilient child

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 06:11 pm
I meant to post this when I first read it, it will only be online free for another 5 hours or so:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/01/health/01brod.html

This should be a more permanent link:

http://www.helenair.com/articles/2005/03/05/health/c01030105_04.txt

excerpt:

Quote:
Until recently, resilience was thought to be an entirely inborn trait, giving rise to the notion of the ''invulnerable child,'' now recognized to be a mistaken idea.

Resilient children are not invulnerable to trauma or immune to suffering. But they bounce back. They find ways to cope, set goals and achieve them despite myriad obstacles like drug-addicted parents, dire poverty or physical disabilities thrown in their path.

As Dr. Robert Brooks of Harvard and Dr. Sam Goldstein of the University of Utah put it, being resilient does not mean a life without risks or adverse conditions but rather learning how to deal effectively with the inevitable stresses of life.

Herein lies an important concept: learning. To be sure, some of what makes up resilience is inborn.

But resilience can also be learned, say experts like Brooks and Goldstein, psychologists and authors whose newest book, ''The Power of Resilience'' (Contemporary Books), provides lessons in ''achieving balance, confidence and personal strength.''

They are lessons of considerable importance, as there is no such thing as a life free of losses and setbacks. People who lack resilience are less able to rise above adversity or learn from their mistakes and move on. Instead of focusing on what they can control and accepting responsibility for their lives, they waste time and energy on matters beyond their influence.

As a result, the circumstances of their lives leave them feeling helpless and hopeless and prone to depression. When things go wrong or don't work out as expected, they tend to think ''I can't do this'' or, even worse, ''It can't be done.''

Children learn to be resilient when parents and guardians enable and encourage them to figure out things for themselves and take responsibility for their actions. When Ray Charles lost his sight at age 7, his mother insisted that he use his good brain and learn how to make his way in the world. In the movie ''Ray,'' she watched silently after the newly blind boy tripped over furniture, cried for her help and then struggled to his feet unaided.

Children need to learn that they are capable of finding their way on their own. Parents who are too quick to take over a task when children cry ''I can't do this'' or don't insist that children learn from their mistakes are less likely to end up with children who can stand on their own two feet, take responsibility for their lives and cope effectively with unavoidable stresses.

The same applies to parents who provide children with everything they want instead of teaching them limits and having them earn their rewards and to those who make excuses for their children and repeatedly defend them against legitimate complaints.

Very interesting, and fits in with a lot of what we have been talking about with "overparenting".

(Slacker moms unite! ;-))
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,928 • Replies: 24
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 06:24 pm
Very interesting article Sozobe, but it is one of the hardest
things to do as a "slacker mom" to let them figure things
out for themselves and not interfere - especially when they
get frustrated over some project and cry and ask for help.

I sometimes encounter this frustration in school projects
when my daughter has to do the research and layout
herself. Initially it makes her proud and she feels good
about it, but when she's in school and some of her classmates have far better projects that were clearly done by an adult,
she feels disappointed and frustrated.

Luckily, the teacher always takes in consideration the work
done by the students themselves.

Nevertheless, it is very heartwrenching to see that and
it takes a lot of emotional strength to not interfere.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 06:31 pm
Oh, I imagine. That's not something I've had to deal with, yet. That just doesn't seem right -- parents shouldn't be doing their kids' homework! I mean helping is a nice thing, but DOING, no.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 07:04 pm
Interesting article. Kind of reaffirms some things I've been thinking about in regards to my kids and the way we do things.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 11:19 pm
Whew. And here people were telling me that having Ya-ya hunt and gather her own food was too demanding.... Smile
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 08:14 am
Funny you say this about parents doing their children’s homework. My daughter last night was doing her homework and getting frustrated because she couldn’t remember which letter had a certain sound so she asked me. I told her it is her homework and she needs to do it herself. I will look at it after, but she needs to complete it, I cannot give her the answers. I tried to tell her how she might figure out the letter. She continued to get frustrated so I just left her alone and went into the other room. She came back a few minutes later with the answer. It is great to let them do it themselves because you can just see in their eyes their sense of accomplishment.

Luckily with my youngest I doubt I will ever have this problem, as she wants to do everything herself. Teaching her older sister how to tie her shoes and the 2 year old wants to do it by herself. I have the opposite issues with her as obviously there is only so much a 2 year is physically capable of.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 06:40 pm
This is interesting.

I've always thought of resiliency as more of a trait than something that could be learned.

And I started thinking: how interesting that we almost have to manufacture adversity to allow kids to stand on their own two feet.

My family was very gypsy-like. We moved and moved and moved and moved until moving and leaving all my friends behind stopped feeling like the end of the world. I suppose that taught me resiliency.

We went from rags to riches to rags. I suppose that taught me resiliency.

And while they weren't very strict about assuring that I actually attended school daily they did always help me with my homework.

And really anything else I asked for help with.

All I had to do was ask.

Maybe its a matter of balance.

I still have some thinking to do on this but I didn't want to lose the thread so I guess this is just a really long winded bookmark.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 06:48 pm
It's a good bookmark though!

I've thought about the manufacturing adversity thing a lot too -- I'm grateful in a lot of ways for the adversity I faced because the process of getting through it gave me a lot of tools that I'm very grateful for. But adversity is -- adversity! I mean it's kind of the opposite of what you'd wish on your children.

The main thing I took from the article is how a parent's management of incidental things can have more far-reaching consequences -- the whole, "here, let me do it" sort of thing.

I've definitely seen what you refer to, Linkat, with my kid -- she often loses patience *just* before she actually has it. I try to just lay back and say "Keep trying, I think you can do it", and often she can. Not always, but often, and then she has that great sense of accomplishment.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 07:25 pm
Heh. The article reminds me of something that was sort of drummed into my head 20 or so years ago.

I took a class called "Systematic Training for Effective Parenting" when my daughter was born. One of the things they stressed ALOT was that every time your child came to you with a question you needed to ask yourself "Who's problem is it?".

If it's really your problem as the parent then you need to resolve it but if it's the child's problem then you need to let them work it out themselves.

I had never thought of it as "resilancy" but it looks like it fits in pretty well with what the article is talking about.

My daughter really hates it whenever she calls me with a problem and I ask her "Who's problem is this?" though! Razz
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 07:32 pm
>> singing -we are the champoins- <<

Slacker moms rule.
That is all there is too it! :-)
THIS , is something that should be read by every mom.
From this point on , I am taking the ' uber mom ' completely out of my vocabulary.
I have never thought that you could truly produce an effective, self sustaining, self confident person if you sheltered your child from everything you possibly could.
(((I use myself alot as an examplebecause I see alot of things my mom did that I dont want to do .. )))

but, my mother did this alot with me. She fixed every possible problem I had as a young child, teenager, and even into adulthood. Granted.. I am thankful for the help and in some situations I would have completely lost it if she DIDNT help, but for the most part, I spent alot of my young adulthood not so much as having to pay for my own gas .
As a result.. insecurities plague me.
As an adult I now see the problem and take care of it . But i always thought that the over sheltering was the CORRECT thing to do as a parent and that I WAS the
one who ' took it wrong' = insecurities.. etc.
This article is a great piece of info and ammo !
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 09:28 am
It is definitely easier said than being done in regard to letting your child struggle while they get frustrated doing something. That is why I left the room when she kept asking me for the answer. I could see her getting frustrated and as a mom you don’t want to see your little girl struggling and getting worked up.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 05:35 pm
Here is something from my living laboratory, tell me what you think:

I've really been trying to concentrate on the "you can do it" message since reading this thread so when he's been asking for help I've tried to give him guidance on how to solve his problem, instead of just bailing him out.

Today we were working in the yard and he climbed into the wheelbarrow -- something he's done a million times before.

But today he decided he couldn't get back out (another thing he's done a million times before). So, instead of bailing him out I insisted that he could do it. I know he can do it!

He started crying and I continued to offer encouragment as I continued to work. When he finally DID climb out, he was inconsolable. He was so upset, really just terribly sad and kept asking why I wouldn't help him.

I felt like an absolute traitor.

What gives, parenting gang of mine?

Really, I'm thinking that Mo has dealt with such a half-life of total crap that it probably WAS unfair of me not to help.

I feel like he was testing me and that I failed this test miserably.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 05:48 pm
boomerang wrote:
I feel like he was testing me and that I failed this test miserably.

He probably was testing you but I'm not so sure you failed.

You two had developed a routine. He climbed in, you helped him out. Today you "broke the rules" of the routine. He climbed in but you didn't help him out. Then he cried to make sure that you knew you broke the ruiles and to let you know that he isn't willing to let you get away with that again.

It's a lot harder to do this kind of thing once you've already built the routine. If it's never come up before then everyone understands the "rules" are new.

I'm don't know whether I'd try to just continue with existing routines and use new events to push him a little or if I'd sit down with him and have a little heart-to-heart and try to get him to see that you aren't just hanging him out to dry but that if you know he can do something you'll be expecting him to do it oin his own more and more as he gets bigger.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 05:51 pm
Hey fishin'. Actually he has never asked for help exiting the wheelbarrow.

The other day he scaled a 6' fence! When it comes to physical feets of near-impossiblity he is top tier.

I know he didn't hold it against me today. We've already kissed and made up. Still, I'm feeling a bit confused about this encounter.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 06:02 pm
You're not confused boomerang, you feel guilty, and that's
exactly how we all feel, when the kids get frustrated and
ask for help. It is so hard to withstand your emotion and
not help. They look so pittiful, they're eyes get teary
and they tear your heart apart.

You have guilt written all over it Wink But the rewards do
come and when you see how proud they are in having
accomplished their task - whatever it might be - it is
much condolence to a mothers (guilty) heart Smile

You did the right thing, and Mo won't hold it against you.
You'll see the next time he's climbing into the wheelbarrel
and wants to get out, he'll smile at you and climbs out.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 06:20 pm
Oh yeah. I feel guilty.

It would be much different if I hadn't not only seen him crawl in and out of the wheelbarrow much less drag the damn thing all over the yard.

Mo is very strong and very co-ordinated. My brother wants to sign him up for Ranger school but I think we should worry about kindergarten first!

This is not the kind of thing he typically asks for help with. How to attach the bungy cord to his bike so he can drag around the wagon? That's the kind of thing he wants help with.

We've all talked on so many threads about how each kid is different. I'm thinking that with Mo that the "you can do it" might have to be tempered with "when you have to" or some such thing.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 07:02 pm
perhaps kids sometimes wanna be reassured that you'll still be there for them even once they can do it on their own? like, sometimes they'll ask for help cause they think they cant do it on their own (and they'll be all happy when you encourage them to do it on their own anyway and they find they can); and sometimes they'll ask just to reassure themselves that momma/pappa is still there, and if you really dont want to do it on your own this time, they wont make you?

thats kinda the thought i had when reading your anecdote, boomerang. still, nothing that wont be long forgotten soon enough after i'm sure ...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 07:15 pm
I understand your worry, boomer, but you shouldn't feel guilty. My son often asks for help doing things he already knows he can do. We've had situations similar to what you described and I've done just what you did with the same result.

I don't know if it was the right thing or not, but I just explained to him that I'd help him when he really needed it. To me it feels like a control issue. He doesn't have much control over anything that happens in his life, and I think he's just trying to get me to do what he wants as a way of asserting some control. I don't really know, but I agree that this doesn't sound like a resiliency issue.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 08:12 pm
Bingo!

That is exactly what it was like - he didn't want to do it this time and it did feel like a control thing.

The hard part is knowing when it is that he needs reassurance, and when it is that he needs to take control himself because the difference in the message you send is huge.

Is it ever okay, once you've said "you need to do this yourself" and then you see that things are escalating and it's really a reassurance thing, to backdown?

When I say "No" I always try very hard to mean "No". By the time I realized this was a bigger deal than just getting out of the wheelbarrow, I'd already said "No".

I stuck with that but I'm wondering if that was the wrong thing to do.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 09:08 pm
Yes - think it IS ok to back down, Boomer - when you sense that he is genuinely distressed and escalating. Like - sorry Mo, I didn't understand that you were REALLY upset - I thought you were "It's tough, but I can do it" upset."

Kinda like when you hear a baby stir - make a few experimental cries - and you wait and judge whether they are gonna settle again, or escalate.

He needs to know you are there if he is overwhelmed (and Mo is likely to be easily overwhelmed by feeling - and hard to settle once "up")

Hard call, I know!
0 Replies