Anchorage, Alaska... some questions.

Orglif

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 07:30 am
Well, I've recently been offered a job in Anchorage. It's not the most money I could make in the city--though it's more money than I've made before in my brief 23 years--and I'm considering doing it.

Currently, I'm unemployed in Portland, Oregon, where I've spent the last 17 months as either a cook or a technical support agent. I moved to Portland from Whitefish, Montana, so I like to think I'm familiar already with the environment in which I'd be living. I'd be cooking again, and don't fear the job in any way; I'd be simply making more money to perform a task in which I'm already proficient. What scares me is the state itself.

I've never been to Alaska. Actually, I've never been to Canada either, come to think of it. I'm a burly fellow; harsh weather doesn't bother me. I enjoy drinking (actually, I'd say I enjoy drinking too much). Does anyone here live in Alaska? Or at least, travelled to it? What I've heard is that, I can anticipate spending my summer drinking, drinking, and applying mosquito repellant. My rather promiscuous libido would have to be put on hold; from what I've heard, the ratio of men to women is something like 7:1. Aside from that, I've heard the days will be long (some 19 hours?), the conversation scarce, and the nightlife non-existant.

Anybody have advice? Insight? Moving to Oregon was easy... this move, I fear, may be a tad harder.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,397 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Equus

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 10:20 am
Anchorage will be indistinguishable from any large American City. It's only when you get out in the boonies that it gets tough. I hear Alaska's cost of living is much higher than the 48 contiguous states.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 10:46 am
Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

Ditto what I've heard about the cost of living. I've known a few people from Alaska, only one that went back -- and she was an odd sort who came to me one day, asked me to shave her head, then disappeared. Sent a letter saying she'd gone to take care of sled dogs in some remote such-and-such a town. Never been there, though, so I can't tell you anything about it.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 10:58 pm
I've been to Alaska... even worked there a couple of times in Fairbanks and Barrow. It isn't bad and there is plenty of nightlife if by that you mean, "are the bars open?" Yes, yes, I believe they are, and open late.

You'll love Anchorage if you like to fish, or hunt, or both. You'll especially like it if you enjoy boating, photography, bird-watching, and hiking. It is a fairly casual place, though there are people who get dressed up in a suit every day and go to work, even there.

If you're unemployed anyway, why don't you try it? Anybody can stick it out for a while, besides, the thaw is about on now and life is good in AK during the summer. The sun stays high in the sky and the midnight sun or near-midnight (since you'll be a-ways south of the Circle) is incredibly invigorating. Good Luck! Stay in touch!

And don't worry about the women -- if you're nice, you'll find somebody. There are plenty of women in Alaska who are looking for a guy who didn't lose his sense from last winter's cabin fever.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 11:19 pm
...I had an eight week gig in Anchorage, a few decades ago. unless it has changed drastically, you were mislead about the nightlife. I did more partying in that town than anywhere. We used work to in a club until 4 in the morning. thenn we would go to an after hours joint, where they had a live band. Then we would go to every night house parties, where they had two or three live musicians.!
...Be sure about salary versus cost of living. What seems like a lot from a distance might not be as much once you get there. Last I heard they had the second highest COL in the union. Why not check, via computor, real estate and other prices in Anchorage, then you can do the math.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 10:57 am
Org, First of all, WELCOME to A2K. Never lived in Alaska, but can offer an anectdote that might help you decide. As you probably know, they have long nights during the winter months. A young lady was the driver of our tour bus, and we asked her about "living conditions" in Alaska. She told us that it's a great life for young people, because they have parties all the time to make up for an otherwise dreary winter. This was in Anchorage. We stayed at the Captain Cook hotel. c.i.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 11:44 am
Orglif, you'll be fresh meat and everybody will be clamoring to get to know you and have you drink with them.

Errrrr, the job doesn't have anything to do with fish processing, I hope!!! If so, run fast the other way.
0 Replies