President OK'ed CIA torture tactics

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 10:39 am
Smog, you are correct. But now in a post-9/11 world, it seems to be more readily acceptable by a larger portion of the country. And talk about bait and switch; now China is citing human rights abuses against the U.S.

It just gets wierder and wierder...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 10:47 am
The president did approve of it. He approved of it to the level of highly promoting the guy who wrote the documents allowing it.

The situation in this country right now, to be frank, is ridiculous, re: torture. 3/4 of the country has no idea that we're doing it, 10% are outraged, 15% think we should be torturing more people. This isn't good. The major news networks aren't picking up this story; they are afraid of the implications.

In the last week, I've heard these three things on cable news, talking about it:

Bobblehead on Coast to Coast: "How can we be expected to fight the war on terror when we have one hand tied behind our backs by the law?"

Hannity: "Now, concerning the possible practice of shipping terrorists overseas to countries where they might be tortured; is this legal? We'll ask the judge..." Judge: "Illegal, but you won't be seeing any enditements."

Scarborough: "I, personally, think we should be doing more torture here in the states, and forget about sending them abroad."

I was left speechless every time. Do people really believe that torture, which has been shown to not be extremely effective in garnering useful information, is a step that we should be resorting to here at home? I mean, are we in Bizzaro world?

I grew up in a world where we were better than the Communists, b/c we didn't mess with other gov'ts like they did. And we didn't torture and disappear people like they did. Now we do both, and how am I supposed to feel about my country?

Quote:
Why as non-US citizens should they be allowed to have trials for possible acts of terrorism? If they are suspected then let them be questioned and then released. I'm alomost positive that we just wouldn't grab various people for no reason. There had to be a reason for what happened.

Baldi,

Think very carefully about what is wrong with what you've said in this paragraph. I mean, truly, truly WRONG. I know that we disagree from time to time on the boards, but I don't think you're a bad guy at all; but this paragraph has a lot of moral issues that should be addressed.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 11:23 am
Well, we can at least count on the neoconservatives to stop their criticisms and whining of China's human rights abuses. Hell, for such a large trading partner, does anybody in their right mind think that the majority of this country really cares anymore? I guess if we are to accept China fully, both politically and economically, we might as well get on the same page... :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 02:57 pm
Well, given that Egypt, Saudi Arabia, allegedly Israel and other US allies in the ME (and, of course, formerly Iraq) practice torture, I would have thought China easy to swallow. The US is hardly in a position to criticise the dearh penalty.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 12:55 am
It figures that Dook wouldn't address what I posted, he has been doing that lately. Go figure!!!
0 Replies