I won!!!! Or did I??

Linkat

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 03:38 pm
I got a call last night telling me I was the lucky winner of a trip for two to Disney and a cruise to the Bahamas. All I had to do was pay $299 a person for various fees and attend a 2 hour seminar in which they try to sell me some time share crap. She verified my address to send me the details and then asked me to get my credit card. Wait right there – my response – I will not give any credit card information over the phone. You must understand for security purposes since I am unfamiliar with your company. She proceeded to tell me that under no circumstances would their company jeopardize their reputation for a measly $300 and that I had filled out the raffle. I said I understand I filled out the raffle, but I was still not familiar with their company and would not give my credit card information to them over the phone. She got all huffy and said o-k and hung up. Do you think I ‘m still going to get the trip?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,000 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Letty

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 03:50 pm
hey, Linkat. That's an old trick, I'm afraid. You did the right thing, and that raffle was just a come on for something spurious. I never give my credit card number to anyone under those circumstances, and I hate to say it, but no, you haven't won a trip. Hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

(got an error message, trying again to send)
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 03:59 pm
She has her tongue firmly implanted in cheek, Letty.

Linkat is too shrewd of a bird to fall for that old song and dance.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 04:04 pm
Oh, good Lord, Gus and "Lynx." I guess I'm a bit sensitive to those kinds of things as my God-daughter was the victim of identity theft.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 04:08 pm
Gus is right I was being a smart a**. I just like giving these people a hard time and see how far I can push their buttons over the phone.

Letty, I am so sorry to hear about your God-daughter. I have heard about such things happening and does sound horrible, I hope everything has been straightened out.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 04:36 pm
Well, she's living in the keys right now, Linkat. She's sharp, also, but I haven't talked to her lately. To tell you the straight of it, I am so gullible about stuff, that I have learned to be tough the hard way.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 08:34 am
Letty – I don’t think you have to be gullible to be a victim of identity theft. It seems many of those people are very crafty and have such ways of getting information even the sharpest person can fall victim. It really is scary.

I do find myself being a bit too trusting, but hearing of other people’s unfortunate situations has made me a bit more skeptical.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:07 am
Linkat, although I may be too cautious, I feel that it's better than taking a chance on something that you don't understand. That's the reason that I don't do business on the net.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:11 am
I have a precept that has served me very well in life.
It is,

"If I haven't asked for it, I don't want it".

Period!
0 Replies