URGENT!!! Might have killed a wire

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2018 12:00 am
I was trying to install a double light switch and may have done it wrong because when I switched the breaker back on there were sparks. I then immediately switched the breaker off and reinstalled the old light switch the same way it was before and I think is dead, the hot wires aren’t hot anymore (I don’t have a tool to check but I accidentally touched them and didn’t get shocked). The wires in the switch also turned off other electrical sources in the room that isn’t related to the switch. Can someone please tell me what ive done and maybe help me out? Much appreciated

engineer

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2018 04:55 am
@DramaKingDan ,
I'm typically for the do it yourself electrician, but:

- You switched the breaker back on and there were sparks
- You don't have a tool to check live wires
- You accidentally touched what you thought was a live wire.

Your luck is going to run out at this pace. You need to call a professional.
0 Replies

LouisGerald

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2018 04:21 am
@DramaKingDan ,
In such cases, I usually take help from an electrician.
0 Replies

taopathway

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2018 11:20 pm
@DramaKingDan ,
ive seen this before. if you tripped the breaker multiple times or really bad the hot wire going in the breaker itself just breaks/burns/ melts the copper wire going inside/under the breaker terminal screw. to fix this would require removing the panel cover which is intimidating and checking the hot and neutral terminal connections on the breaker. I would call in a favor from family or friends with know how and have them do it can be dangerous so be safe and turn the main breaker off before working on anything in there so only the service wire terminals are live in the panel. honestly it sucks but you would want someone experienced to do anything with the panel lid off

More than likely you connected the new switch correct but when pushing the switch back into the box one of your ground/bare wires were not tucked inside well enough and were touching your hot or neutral somewhere. as for stacked switches/ double pole switches I am not familiar with
0 Replies