Saving Rain Forest Thread number 57!!

danon5

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 06:32 am
Retreat has been called many things throughout history Merry Andrew. During the 60's the US Army called it Retrograde!! Somehow it always seemed to be the same thing. I always liked "Attacking in another direction"

Morning all,

All clicked this Sunday - have a nice day!!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 06:41 am
Retreat? No such thing, Dannon. It's an advance to the rear. Smile
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 07:13 am
Oh!! - Is THAT what it is.........big grin.

I always associated Attacking the Rear with females - Nuther Big Grin
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 07:13 am
An advance to the rear?

Shocked

I really don't think we know each other that well, Mister A!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 07:18 am
Now, now. Danon said that, not I.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 07:20 am
I pipped her MA. grin
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 07:21 am
No one is pipping me OR advancing on my rear.

You boys!
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 07:22 am
Ok Ok........ We'll settle down.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 07:34 am
You, young man, are supposed to be well settled down already.
Don't you have someone you should be making a lovely first day of spring breakfast for?
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 07:50 am
I asked Madam this morning if she desired an early breakfast - she requested only an especially prepared coffee, which I made and served to her. A bit later, I'll probably make a nice oatmeal dish.

funnies aside-
Patti has just begun a series of daily shots - which I give her in her stomach. The shots are SubQ so aren't as bad as they sound. She has been on the new meds a week now and is responding well. We are keeping our fingers crossed.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 07:52 am
You and your 283 friends have supported 1,798,216.0 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 67,653.5 square feet.
You have supported: (35,352.6)
Your 283 friends have supported: (32,300.8)

American Prairie habitat supported: 33,587.7 square feet.
You have supported: (9,480.7)
Your 283 friends have supported: (24,107.0)

Rainforest habitat supported: 1,696,974.9 square feet.
You have supported: (159,388.7)
Your 283 friends have supported: (1,537,586.2)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 Aktbird57 .. 1045 41.274 acres

[/b][/size]
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 07:55 am
You tell Patti that we're thinking about her, and wishing her well.

We need to her to get better - and get you back under control :wink:
Plus, I imagine there's some travelling you both need to be doing. A coupla road trips to visit pals, some antique shops to dig through ...
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 07:59 am
Thanks for the well wishes. I'll tell Patti.

Yep.

It's time now for news and Sunday Morning.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 12:03 pm
Wild Horses and Burrows in the cross-hairs of industry. Sad

Groups Save Wild Mustangs From Slaughter

RENO, Nev. - Although a new law lets the federal government sell certain wild mustangs for horsemeat, the first ones auctioned off have been spared from the slaughterhouse.

The 200 animals from Nevada that Wild Horses Wyoming bought from the Bureau of Land Management (news - web sites) are roaming free on thousands of acres near Laramie, Wyo.

"We are in the business of saving horses," said Sean Mater, one of five partners in the company.

In December, Congress replaced a 34-year-old ban on slaughtering any mustang with a statute that allows the sale of older and unwanted horses for their meat. The animals up for sale are captured during periodic government roundups aimed at reducing the wild population.

About 37,000 wild horses and burros roam the Western range, about 9,000 more than the BLM has said the natural forage can sustain.

BLM and Interior Department officials have said they hope to find homes for horses affected by the law. But wild horse advocates have called the new law inhumane and fear the animals will end up as horsemeat for human consumption overseas or as dog food.

Wild Horses Wyoming and rescue groups are trying to save the horses by buying them.

Wild Horses Wyoming purchased the mustangs, all of them mares, for $50 each. The sale was announced March 1.

Mater, who lives in Fort Collins, Colo., said the company hopes to secure more land and eventually acquire up to 5,000 horses.

"That's our goal," said Bill Clark, a Fort Collins real estate broker and another partner in the venture. "Everybody is along the same track and nobody's backing off here."

The group is soliciting money for its efforts by selling horse sponsorships. Mater said the goal is to use the sponsorship money to acquire land that will sustain the horses for the rest of their lives.

"Putting them on good rangeland allows them to forage for themselves, and remain in that same mode that they were in out on the range," he said. "Once the land is paid for, then the horses become more or less maintenance free."

Lifesavers Wild Horse Rescuers in Lancaster, Calif., has 120 horses on 46 acres of land, and plans to buy 10 mustangs under the new law, said Jill Starr, the group's leader.

The Black Hills Wild Horse Sanctuary in Hot Springs, S.D., cares for 400 horses on 11,000 acres of privately owned land but has not immediate plans to take in more mustangs, office manager Pati Duff said.

"We need our resources for the one's we've already got," Duff said.

But she was confident others would help out.

"There's many, many horse lovers, and I think people will step up," she said.

___
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 01:12 pm
Stradee wrote:
Teeny, thanks! I luv American Indian Art, and while scanning a website, I found the avatar pictures <used as navigational icons at the site> and admired the beadwork and pattern.

Here's a link to the site. Each artist pictured on the page has his or her own gallery of paintings. Just click on a name to view their work.

http://www.artnatam.com/artist.html

Painting by Dakota Sioux Impressionist - Joanne Bird

http://www.native-languages.org/paint2.jpg

Thank you. They're just beautiful! Laughing
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 01:19 pm
danon5 wrote:
Morning ehBeth,
Can you believe we have clicked for 41 plus acres?? That is fantastic.

I finished the work on the library window. The building is over a hundred years old - and needs a lot of TLC. The pic "before" doesn't show the damage well - the dark places at the base of the window are all rotted and the pane putty is gone. But, it's all ok now.

http://www.directupload.net/images/050319/7fUrdFSu.jpg

A note for you all=
The direct up load site I'm using is free for everyone to use. It's mostly written in German, but that's no great problem. It's at:
http://www.directupload.net/index.php?mode=upload
To use enter click 'Browse' and copy/paste your pic file there. Then click on 'Bild hochladen' at the bottom (that means picture upload.) On the next page highlight and copy the URL listed under "Hotlinken Sie - - - Forum" That URL may be inserted directly in your post here at A2K and your picture will appear!!!

Oh yeah...... Make sure you size down your pic - like about 3 to 5 inches wide - before posting it here - or else it makes the page here really big.

It is a problem if you don't speak it! A pop-up came onto the screen and I really had a time of it getting rid of it. Will try again.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 02:26 pm
I'm sorry teeny. That popup is advertising. In the upper right corner - exactly where the big red X is to close IE windows - is a word = schliessen..... means close. Just click that and the window goes away. WaLaaa

Also, important with the size - be sure to make the pixels per inch 72. That loads so much faster.......
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 03:01 pm
Teeny, there are some good artists at the site, and I thought the painting was absolutely georgous.

Another good site is called Cal's Gallery.
A great place for viewing wildlife and wildplaces paintings and photos. My favorite are the wolf galleries. The background music and pics amazing.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/cal555/awolf3/wo0.html?

Thanks for the stats, ehBeth.

Have a good day Dannon and all ~

clicked
0 Replies

pwayfarer

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 06:01 pm
Rainforest 57
Oh, I'm having so much trouble getting on! And just back from GrandchildrenII. Lots of fun and some wild ping-pong.
Aa, so good to see you!
Danon- get that Patti well! and what a great job on the window.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 06:06 pm
clickety-click
0 Replies