Saving Rain Forest Thread number 57!!

danon5

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 07:47 pm
Hi wayfarer and littlek!! Great clicks you ladies have........

Stradee,
Those are really good sites for Native American art. I can't remember as a child when I did not favor the Indian. Always during the wild 40's when we played 'Cowboys and Indians' and 'Bite the Dust' meant something bad, I always wanted to be the Indian. During my career in the military I met and became friends with another soldier - an Apache Native American - and was invited to join his tribe. We became blood brothers - a ceremony I will always cherish in rememberance. I was given the Indian name "Quiet Hawk" along with a necklace made by my brothers grandfather. Here is a pic of the necklace made just a few minutes ago:

http://www.directupload.net/images/050321/bdirhgwT.jpg

The beads, colors, method of carving the horn and the knots mean different things relating to the tribe.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 08:38 pm
Wow, that's cool, danon!
Please tell Patti that I'm hoping the injections work well for her.

We've clicked for Sunday!
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 10:13 pm
Hi Matrix,
Thanks - Patti is starting Copaxone - a med for MS. We are hoping that it works well enough so we can do some more traveling.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 10:29 pm
That is so cool, Dan!

Your story brought memories from when I was young also. Cowyboys, Indians, horses, the old west and Indian artifacts an interest of mine also. Picked up authentic indian heads when vactioning in Clear Lake, CA during summer vacations. Our cabin was located right on the lake across from Mt. Konacti. Saved the artifacts for years, and not sure if i tossed them, or they just were misplaced when our family relocated. Now of course indian heads are a protected item and very difficult to find and purchase.

A good friend gave me as a gift, an antique sand painting. I cherish the gift because one, my friend passed a few years ago, and also i remember him saying the sand paint redecorates as the artifact ages.
Pretty cool.

Not sure if I mentioned that a good friend was diagnosed with MS and after about a year after the diagnosis and meds, the disease went into remission, and so far so good! Sending good thoughts.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 01:20 am
Quote:
Top-level study of rainforests' secrets

Tim Radford, science editor
Monday March 21, 2005
The Guardian

British-based scientists are aiming to occupy the high ground of biology. Five giant cranes - each carrying an observation post and scientific laboratory - will tower over the treetops of rainforests in Brazil, Ghana, Madagascar, India and Malaysia in a $17m (£9m) attempt to explore one of life's most mysterious frontiers, the canopy.
The forest treetops are where the sun, rain and living things first meet. An estimated 40% of all terrestrial species are to be found more than 70 feet up, where the first wispy leaves and twigs compete for solar energy.

Almost 90% of the earth's biomass - the sheer weight of life - is in the forests. But the canopy is an almost entirely unexplored zone. "Some people say we know the surface of the moon better than we know the tops of the trees," said Andrew Mitchell, of the Global Canopy Programme, centred at Oxford.

"We find that about 80% of the insects we recover from the canopy are undescribed, new to science. There is an astonishing variety of life up there. So from the life-on-Earth point of view, it's really important to find out. It is totally undiscovered territory."

Ten cranes are already in use, mostly in temperate forests. But the greatest richness of life is concentrated in the tropical forests. The programme has just received backing from the United Nations environment chiefs and five governments.

Forests are powerful players in the carbon cycle, and have a huge role in the global warming theatre. If all goes to plan, the first five cranes will tower over the rainforests, swinging a research platform and instruments over the treetops, observing the foliage, flowers, birds, insects, epiphytes, parasites, reptiles and mammals in life's upper storeys, ideally without snapping a branch or disturbing a nest.

Researchers will measure volatile compounds from the foliage, monitor the interaction between plants and atmosphere, and watch for omens of change triggered by global warming.

Canopies are delicate environments. They are - at least from underneath - also dark places. Dr Mitchell first began high-altitude biology looking for gibbons in Borneo in 1978.

"I couldn't see them, because they were so high up in the trees and this was very frustrating, and I thought, well, if we could get up there and study the forest canopy maybe we could learn more about their lives."

He began by building a series of aerial walkways. He and other scientists have experimented with hot-air balloons, and even a dirigible.

More than 20 years of canopy science has convinced biologists that they need literally to get on top of the subject. "It is in the canopies that trees pass their genes around. This is where they produce flowers and fruits. It is where the sun's energy is beating down. It is where the forest meets the sky and as a result it is the most energy rich part of the forest," he says.

"The great thing about a canopy crane is that, with a helicopter, you can slide the crane down in between the trees without causing any damage. It stands on a concrete plinth that you do have to build but it doesn't have to be very big. It is simple technology, used every day in our towns. No other system allows you to get to that much forest, day after day, year after year."

The crane and gondola can deliver researchers to any point in almost a hectare of forest, from the highest fronds almost to the ground. Research at canopy level will be matched by remote sensing from space, and instrument readings at the forest floor. "The great thing is we have the backing of the United Nations environment programme and the backing of five important national governments," said Dr Mitchell.
Source
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 08:57 am
Walter,
Thank you so much for the article - and especially for the Source link. That link to the Guardian Site is now bookmarked by me. It also has many other useful and interesting links at the bottom of it's page.
I am happy to see the efforts made to study the canopy more effectively. It may prompt governments to stop the rampant destruction of the rain forest.

Thanks for stopping by - please visit more often.

I have noted the distinguished photographer pictured in your avatar.

Good Morning everyone,
I have clicked this day and have saved another tree.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 05:50 pm
You and your 283 friends have supported 1,799,901.8 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 67,817.4 square feet.
You have supported: (35,376.1)
Your 283 friends have supported: (32,441.3)

American Prairie habitat supported: 33,587.7 square feet.
You have supported: (9,480.7)
Your 283 friends have supported: (24,107.0)

Rainforest habitat supported: 1,698,496.7 square feet.
You have supported: (159,412.1)
Your 283 friends have supported: (1,539,084.7)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 Aktbird57 .. 1047 41.318 acres

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Great to see you wandering through here, Walter!
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 06:43 pm
Hi All ~

Happy second day of Spring!

Still storming in the Sierra's and so far none of the flowering trees and plantings are affected by the severe weather!

Keeping fingers, eyes, and toes crossed for clearing skies and sunshine by tomorrow.

all clicked
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 10:46 pm
Hi, everyone...we've clicked!

Welcome back, wayfarer!

Nice to see you here, Walter. Interesting article.

Good luck with the weather situation, Stradee. We had strong winds and rain all weekend - lots of trees down in the area & power outages, etc. Today was better, though...just showery but cold.

danon...
I really hope the meds work and work quickly so that you and Patti can get back to doing the things that you really love to do. Please tell her that all of us here are pulling for her and keeping our fingers crossed.

Hey, ehBeth...
Like the avatar!
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 10:55 pm
You guys said you liked the last moon movie so here's another one to watch courtesy of NASA/JPL:

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/images/moons/images/PIA06221-br402.gif

Mimas Occults Janus - Mar. 21, 2005
Saturn's icy, impact-riddled moon Mimas slips briefly in front of Saturn's moon Janus in this movie from Cassini.

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/images/image-details.cfm?imageID=1442
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 12:05 am
Hi Matrix ~ neat moonscape <zoom>

<smile>

Sure wish the storms were moving that quickly. So far the powers not been affected, and the trees and plants still ok, but temps are freezing here also.

Stay bundled Matrix!
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 08:08 am
Matrix,
Thanks for the tremendous site. You always come up with the good ones.

Stradee,
That's exciting news about your friend who had/has MS. Do you know the name of the meds she took? Patti started a med called Avonex last year, but she had such terrible Migraines from it she had to stop. This med, Copaxone, seems to be much better. We are keeping our fingers crossed.

ehBeth,
Wheeeeeet - wheeeeeooouuuu!!!!!! Boy!! Love that avatar..........................

Clicked - - - - -
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 12:03 pm
Danon, I'll send an e mail to my friend now. Soon as I receive an answer, will post here.

Tell Pattie to hang in there, rest lots, and we're sending our best wishes and prayers for her recovery.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 01:10 pm
Danon, here's the return e mail I just received.

"Hi Shirl, Joanne takes copaxone. It works well for her MS but may have lasting side effects. Tell your friend pattie that copaxone seems the best way to go and has a large support system. she does not take any other drug. Tell her to look it up on the internet and she will get a lot of information." ...

Danon, there are also on-line support groups Pattie can check. Perhaps Pattie can do a bit of computer reseach? and she may also find support groups to dialog with. MS a diesease that can go into remission, and please tell Pattie the prognosis can be good. Joanne has managed the MS well, keeps busy, she and her husband travel quite a bit also.

A copaxone website where Pattie can ask questions about the med, plus.
<registration required>
http://www.mswatch.com/Therapy/
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 02:13 pm
Stradee,
Thank you - the Copaxone is the med for us I think. Patti has been on it for just under two weeks now and I can really see a marked improvement. The link is great. I had already looked at more than a dozen, but had not seen this one yet. Thanks.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 02:28 pm
Cool Danon!

My friends send their best to you and Pattie also.

Before ya know it, you guys will be traveling again! Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 05:57 pm
You and your 283 friends have supported 1,801,236.4 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 67,957.8 square feet.
You have supported: (35,399.5)
Your 283 friends have supported: (32,558.4)

American Prairie habitat supported: 33,587.7 square feet.
You have supported: (9,480.7)
Your 283 friends have supported: (24,107.0)

Rainforest habitat supported: 1,699,690.8 square feet.
You have supported: (159,412.1)
Your 283 friends have supported: (1,540,278.8)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 Aktbird57 .. 1048 41.348 acres

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's getting time for a new thread for those of us on the not brilliantly fast systems.

Anyone on for a spring/renewal thread?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 05:58 pm
ohhhh, and gotta love google's world water day logo

(remember when we clicked for a water site, back at Abuzz?)

http://www.google.ca/logos/water_day05.gif
0 Replies

pwayfarer

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 06:54 am
rainfoest 57
We're all pulling for you, Patti and Danon.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 10:03 am
Thanks everyone, We are excited about the meds and looking forward to many more pain free days.

ehBeth,
Your avatar looks like a Wabbit !!

Any one care to SPRING for a new thread??

All clicked in...................
0 Replies