Saving Rain Forest Thread number 57!!

Stradee

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 09:53 am
Matrix! ewwwwwwwwww

Well now I can die knowing how the cats toss hair-balls!

and now i'll skip breakfast thank ya very much LOL

funny article though

all clicked
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 10:28 am
This morning we have overcast skies, laden with rain ready for a drencher come afternoon or nightfall. Is there such a word as "rainiferous"? Rain for the next several days will put a damper, to say the least, on the annual Irish Day celebration here in Murphys tomorrow. Huge shamrocks are freshly painted on several intersections, ready for street dancing. The art & craft vendors do not care for rain, either.

I see that the Leaderboard now has our team properly restored to its number one position (as you noted, ebeth). The bright side is that for a short while, the #2 team, the 12-visits one, got a chance to be shown as #1, even though it was based on a glitch. Hmmm ... that's a debatable point. Is it better to be happy for a short while based on a glitch than to remain at a less happy status?

Whilst still on the subject of the Irish, here's an explanation of "Why Dirish Drink: Only Their Bartender Knows for Sure" [San Francisco Examiner, 3/16/79]:

Customer John O'Brien, at the "Dovre Club":

"The Irish drink because they are just more intelligent than anyone else," he said as he stared into a tall glass of red wine. "Did you never look into the future? Did you never look at the stars at night? Did you never consider where we're all going in this world? And having done, wouldn't you then have perhaps two or three?"
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 03:15 pm
Aa, hi. I think pluvial would be a good word (and perhaps, for all I know, is a good word) as a synonim for rainiferous. Didn't look it up. It just came to me all of a suddink. (Or 'pluvious' mayhap?)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 06:01 pm
Lordy lordy lordy, that west coast gal in her leather pants roared back to the edge of the rainforest on the back of that dude's motorcycle. Always good to see you, Aa. Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 06:04 pm
You and your 283 friends have supported 1,796,436.6 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 67,302.3 square feet.
You have supported: (35,282.4)
Your 283 friends have supported: (32,019.9)

American Prairie habitat supported: 33,564.3 square feet.
You have supported: (9,457.3)
Your 283 friends have supported: (24,107.0)

Rainforest habitat supported: 1,695,570.1 square feet.
You have supported: (159,365.2)
Your 283 friends have supported: (1,536,204.8)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/color]

1 Aktbird57 .. 1044 41.237 acres
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 08:47 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Lordy lordy lordy, that west coast gal in her leather pants roared back to the edge of the rainforest on the back of that dude's motorcycle. Always good to see you, Aa. Very Happy

Aa's wearing leather pants in the rain??? Oh my...LOL!!!

Aa...
The Seattle area has a large Irish population and they haven't allowed the rain to dampen their spirits. (It does wet their whistles, though, and the pubs in the area do a tremendous business over the St. Patrick's Day holiday.) The parade always goes on rain or shine, too.

Aw, come on, Stradee...you really don't want donuts for breakfast? Laughing They've had those kinds of exhibits before, but most of the ones that I've heard of have had to do with the human body and its functions. The one in the article seems to have something in it for everyone.

danon...
If you were a kid that exhibit would be soooo much fun - especially when you got to see the reactions of the adults who had taken you to it. Laughing

Hi, Merry Andrew, pwayfarer, ehBeth & doggies, and everyone else...

Hope all of you have a great weekend - rain or shine!
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 08:55 pm
Just for fun again...

I'm printing this whole article here because you need to have an account with the Tacoma News Tribune to get into it otherwise:

Rigorous research puts sweet Peeps in peril

PATRICK ENRIGHT/Pop Shots
Last updated: March 18th, 2005 08:38 AM

What it is: Well, duh. It's a Marshmallow Peep, that perennial Easter favorite.

A Marshmallow what?: Peep. For you newbies, the Peep is a fluffy, sickly sweet, usually bird-shaped confection that is sold in rows. Want to know more? Head to www.peepresearch.org for a thorough scientific analysis of the creature and its habits, as well as photographic documentation of the research.

What you'll learn: Peeps are not found in polar regions because of their reactions to extreme cold (shattering). They're not soluble in water, acetone, sulfuric acid or sodium hydroxide, and while the exceedingly toxic solvent phenol causes near-total disintegration of the Peep, the creature's eyes appear to be impervious. Peeps have a high tolerance for both drinking and smoking, but combining the two (190-proof ethyl alcohol and Camel cigarettes) caused "a rapidly exothermic oxidation reaction, leading to a chemical and morphological divergence from the wild-type Peep phenotypes." Translation: They catch on fire.

How Peeps react to stressful stimuli: They roughly quadruple in size. The stressful stimuli in question are confined spaces and bright light, which were combined in the form of a microwave oven. This experiment is commonly performed by amateur scientists all over the nation.

PETA can breathe easily because: "Before any testing begins, all Peep subjects are thoroughly examined and sign a disclosure form explaining the potential risks of their volunteer service."
http://www.thenewstribune.com/soundlife/story/4699684p-4342866c.html
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 08:57 pm
The things you learn on the internet.

Ya know, I'd never heard of Peeps before a thread on Abuzz.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 09:01 pm
Peeps...The candy that will out live cockroaches!
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 09:24 pm
...with a shelf life of a thousand years... LOL
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 09:37 pm
Exactly!
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 09:41 pm
Peeping in - !

Yer right ehBeth, ya never know what's gona show up on line...... grin

Hey, Aa !!!! How's the pants??

Hi ya Matrix and Stradee and wayfarer.....

MA,
Good word - I think.... Hmmm. If it's pluvial, do we really need a pluviometer to tell us so??
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 07:58 am
peep
peep

pip pip

cheerio

all clicked

You and your 283 friends have supported 1,796,647.3 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 67,466.2 square feet.
You have supported: (35,305.8)
Your 283 friends have supported: (32,160.3)

American Prairie habitat supported: 33,587.7 square feet.
You have supported: (9,480.7)
Your 283 friends have supported: (24,107.0)

Rainforest habitat supported: 1,695,593.5 square feet.
You have supported: (159,365.2)
Your 283 friends have supported: (1,536,228.2)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 Aktbird57 .. 1044 41.241 acres
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 10:51 am
Morning ehBeth,
Can you believe we have clicked for 41 plus acres?? That is fantastic.

I finished the work on the library window. The building is over a hundred years old - and needs a lot of TLC. The pic "before" doesn't show the damage well - the dark places at the base of the window are all rotted and the pane putty is gone. But, it's all ok now.

http://www.directupload.net/images/050319/7fUrdFSu.jpg

A note for you all=
The direct up load site I'm using is free for everyone to use. It's mostly written in German, but that's no great problem. It's at:
http://www.directupload.net/index.php?mode=upload
To use enter click 'Browse' and copy/paste your pic file there. Then click on 'Bild hochladen' at the bottom (that means picture upload.) On the next page highlight and copy the URL listed under "Hotlinken Sie - - - Forum" That URL may be inserted directly in your post here at A2K and your picture will appear!!!

Oh yeah...... Make sure you size down your pic - like about 3 to 5 inches wide - before posting it here - or else it makes the page here really big.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 11:48 am
Great work, danon!
You're quite the citizen.

I'd offer to shake your hand but I've been eating rotisserie chicken without cutlery Embarrassed
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 12:41 pm
I bet it's good.

I just had lunch - a left over Wiener Schnitzel from last night that I made into a SANDWICH!!!!! Meine GOTT in Himmel!!!!! My Mother in Law from my last wife (the Wiennerin) is turning over in her grave............ I made the mistake of calling a Wiener Schnitzel a Breaded Porkchop one time and NEVER did that again!!!! NOT the National Meal of that little country in the middle of Austria........!

Here is probably the reason that the library window received no maintenance for all those years. It's about 13 - 15 feet down to the bottom of the steps. I had to build a scaffold to stand on.

http://www.directupload.net/images/050319/FT5WU7jX.jpg
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 12:44 pm
meep
meep

thatabe grown peep

Dan, very impressive work! Good job!

have a good day ya all ~

clicked
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 02:08 pm
Well, now that we know you 'do' windows, Dannon...
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 06:53 pm
Merry Andrew,
Thanks a lot guy!! You must have been the one who actually read my profile.......................

How does this sound to you?

"Ordinum Sinecura Internasci"

Loosely translated into - "A position by which one profits by little or no effort."

Marked by these tenets=
1. Procrastination is the road to success.
2. When the going gets tough - relax.
3. Exigency - the factor to avoid.
4. An inexorable faith in universal fatalism is good.
5. The road to success lies on the couch.

All the above is sort of a stretch. But I have to think about it.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 10:01 pm
When the going gets tough, the tough delegate.
0 Replies