2018 Hurricane Season

jespah

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2018 08:49 am
@engineer,
Thank God. I know squinney + Bear had tree limbs down (might have just been a ton of pecans). A friend from the northern part of the state posted video on FB of water just gushing in her yard. She lost power but fortunately for less than a day.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2018 10:04 am
@engineer,
Glad you're all doing as well as can be expected. Thanks for checking in.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2018 11:09 am
@engineer,
Good to have you back. While you were gone there were a bunch of home explosions in northern MA due to natural gas issues at the gas company, and a swimmer on Cape Cod was killed by a shark.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2018 11:11 am
Thanks to everyone for all the good wishes and kind thoughts. We still don't have power, but there is still propane in the grill and you can get very creative when the last of your ice is gone and everything in the frig needs to be cooked or tossed. Apparently Wilmington is something of an island, high ground surrounded by flooding. This morning the DOT published two approved routes for people to get to town and gas and supply trucks are arriving. Yesterday was our first day without driving rain and by the afternoon, everyone was out in their yards trying to clean up and it was very neighborly. I know that just a few miles out of town, things are dramatically worse. We have friends coming over tonight with their grill and food supplies. They have two feet of water in their basement and no power to pump it out. I'm sitting at work in the nice AC with all my electronic gizmos charging and thinking that I'm pretty lucky (but still really hoping the power comes on today.)
ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2018 11:29 am
@engineer,
Good to see you again. The reports from the island of Wilmington have been worrisome.

Black-out cooking. Remember it well - creativity does rule at those times.

Squinney is working on pecan pie recipes to use once they get regular power back in Coats.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2018 09:59 am
Another update from Wilmington. While the surrounding area is still a mess, the city is coming back up. There are a lot more people with power helping than those without (which unfortunately includes me). There are grocery stores open and they have ice for coolers. No more two hour lines to get in.
There is still a desperate beer shortage leading to people trying imports for the first time. 99% of the people have learned the driving rules for when lights are blinking or out, but that 1% makes things treacherous for the rest of us. You can go to a sit down restaurant and actually sit down and eat a leisurely meal before going back to your dark house. The local high school still has 500 people sheltering there and I have no idea when school will start back up, but it is starting to feel like we are turning a corner, at least in the city.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2018 12:26 pm
@engineer,
Thanks for the updates. It's hard to imagine the difficulty you (and others) are enduring, even as our lives go on as normal.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2018 11:50 pm
Heads up Gulf Florida. TS Michael is coming this week.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2018 12:38 am
https://imageshack.com/a/img924/6158/3JQ3rp.png
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2018 03:02 am
Looks to be a rough Wednesday in FL and the folk in NC/SC certainly don't need this this week.
engineer

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2018 05:05 am
@JPB,
How true. I'm still not up to snuff on my roof from Florence. I don't need a heavy rain. Hopefully I can get a tarp up today or tomorrow.
engineer

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2018 06:52 am
@engineer,
Good luck to those in the Florida panhandle. The roof get's patched today, just in time.
engineer

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2018 07:37 am
@engineer,
Just drove up through Raleigh and Greensboro, there are a lot of places with trees down and power out from Michael. In Wilmington, Michael was a non-event and all the press was focused on the destruction in Florida, but NC and Virginia each had over half a million people lose power and people I spoke with in Greensboro said there was a lot of property damage, trees down on houses, etc.
0 Replies