THE MAD THUMBER

Kolyo

Sun 15 Jul, 2018 02:25 pm
I am leaving the site.

I hope, if the thumb wars stop, concurrent with my departure, that people won't think *I* was the mad thumber. (He may take the opportunity to try to pin that on me by ceasing his hostilities. )

Ultimately, posting around someone like that is not pleasant. So why torture ourselves?
Olivier5

Sun 15 Jul, 2018 02:54 pm
@Kolyo,
Why do you care? The qualitative aspect, the text, the ideas, is much more important that whatever + or - number next to it.
tsarstepan

Sun 15 Jul, 2018 04:15 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Why do you care? The qualitative aspect, the text, the ideas, is much more important that whatever + or - number next to it.

So? As a reasonable individual with some legitimate academics and posting history here? It's not the number that matters. It's the downward spiral of toxicity of the environment. If one wants a dragged down shitshow of a fight on politics? Go on. No ones stopping you. The insanely demented vocal minorities of social conservatives are destroying the site with its own tools and attacking any sense of civility outside the politics realm here at a2k.

It's about time to get rid of the thumb rating system altogether. Take the weapon from both sides of the debacle.
engineer

Sun 15 Jul, 2018 04:28 pm
@Kolyo,
Sorry to lose you. I've always respected your input here. I suspect driving the good posters away is one goal the vandal has and I'm sure you won't be the last.
0 Replies

firefly

Sun 15 Jul, 2018 04:33 pm
@tsarstepan,
I also feel it is time to get rid of the thumbs rating system altogether.

In fact, this site was much better before that alleged tool was added. We managed just fine without it.
Olivier5

Sun 15 Jul, 2018 04:35 pm
@tsarstepan,
I do understand how some people get tired of the negativity alright, it did happen to me at times on this and other boards. Iggy helps. Also, not posting too often helps, because social media are inherently toxic as people unload crap they wouldn't dare to say face to face in real life. But the numbers are inconsequential. Even a collapsed post below -5 is de-collapsable, so I don't see the big deal. It's just a bunch of monkeys pooping around, easy to make abstraction of.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sun 15 Jul, 2018 04:37 pm
@firefly,
I support the motion.
0 Replies

jcboy

Sun 15 Jul, 2018 05:17 pm
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:

I am leaving the site.

You shouldn’t give a rat’s ass about thumbs feature on this site. I’ve been here over ten years; it’s been the most useless function on the forum.

And on another note: I believe this is the result of Russian bots! The Russians are sending out mirowaves to all the ignorant Americans that actually voted for the idiot tRump and they follow them, “ like sheep to the slaughter honey”
0 Replies

nimh

Mon 16 Jul, 2018 08:21 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Robert's militant libertarian "do nothing streak" and let the chaos that follows, come hell or high water ain't helping.

Posts are "disappeared" by the mods every day. And then people complain about that too.
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 16 Jul, 2018 12:14 pm
I would like to stress once again that there are at least two programs in operation here. One is the titular "mad thumber." But there is a recently begun campaign by the far right-wingers here to use down thumbs as a de facto censorship--and it's getting worse. For that reason, I agree with firefly, the thumbs need to go. (In all likelihood, when the reactionaries see this, it will be down-voted into oblivion.)
Walter Hinteler

Mon 16 Jul, 2018 12:41 pm
@Setanta,
I have been really disappointed when some of my post weren't downvoted for quite some time (more than one hour).
But since daytime even in California, all is 'well' again.
tsarstepan

Mon 16 Jul, 2018 01:02 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

I have been really disappointed when some of my post weren't downvoted for quite some time (more than one hour).
But since daytime even in California, all is 'well' again.

Sucker! I just thumbed up your post! You've just been served!
0 Replies

roger

Mon 16 Jul, 2018 01:37 pm
@Setanta,
Agree. The thumbs should go. That, or the person using the system should be identified.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Mon 16 Jul, 2018 03:25 pm
Many posts are now disappearing from the photo Association game.

https://able2know.org/topic/271912-175

Instead of getting rid of the thumb system all together, we should get rid of the net system and institute a separate positive and minus system. In other words just count the total positive and negative responses.
izzythepush

Mon 16 Jul, 2018 03:27 pm
@coluber2001,
I thumbed them all up but there's only one of me.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Mon 16 Jul, 2018 03:30 pm
Robert Gentel wrote:
Someone has been using different IPs and a lot of time to abuse voting here, these votes will be removed and this will be made harder to do.

I wish we had time for a more comprehensive solution but that will have to wait.
https://able2know.org/topic/468668-1
0 Replies

firefly

Mon 16 Jul, 2018 04:00 pm
@coluber2001,
But why do we need the thumbs ratings at all?

Do we really need an approval rating poll on every post?

People can post an actual reply, which facillitates further discussion, and which is considerably more meaningful than an ambiguous thumb rating.

As you pointed out, posts are disappearing from.The Photo Association thread because of the intentional abuse of the thumbs ratings. Unless this sort of thing is stopped ASAP, this site will be completely trashed.

I am glad that Robert Gentel is addressing the problem in some way.
Banana Breath

Mon 16 Jul, 2018 04:22 pm
@coluber2001,
Quote:
Many posts are now disappearing from the photo Association game.

https://able2know.org/topic/271912-175

Interesting that someone takes so much interest in photo association that the photo I posted of a boat garners 6 downvotes. Clearly someone was either scared by a boat when they were young, or else they're trying to compensate for underdeveloped genitalia by extensive use of a virtual thumb. Sad in either case.
https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/7f49b125d7edd91b9d5f7caf073887dda5a79f74/c=0-25-200-175/local/-/media/2018/07/11/SNJGroup/CherryHill/636669370607490378-ventnor-city.jpg?width=534&height=401&fit=crop
0 Replies

glitterbag

Mon 16 Jul, 2018 04:22 pm
@firefly,
Honestly, I don’t know why Robert bothers with us, all he ever hears is complaints.
0 Replies

engineer

Tue 17 Jul, 2018 06:13 am
I am interested in the details of the attack. Robert mentioned multiple IP addresses and that's not particularly hard, but it does mean someone with serious intent and some know-how. I'm also interested in how the targets were chosen. There seemed to be negative targets, positive targets and people who were ignored and while there are some general trends in these groups, there are some head scratchers as well. I don't think that our vandal was home grown.

1. Forums
  2. » THE MAD THUMBER
  3. » Page 8
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 03:56:33