New Deadwood starts Sunday

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 09:20 am
And I can't wait. This looks like it's going to be a violent one. In the previews I saw, it looks like all the main characters are bruised and cut up.

Anybody else addicted like me? Let's start the countdown. 4 more days...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,486 • Replies: 34
No top replies

dancingnancy

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 01:58 pm
I'm not really addicted to this show, per se, but I did watch it a few times during the first season and will certainly be giving it a try this season. Interesting show for sure!
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 05:11 pm
I'm trying to catch up, HBO has the first season On-Demand on comcast. 3 down 10(?) to go. Who needs sleep anyway.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 08:05 pm
All caught up and the new season starts now.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 10:33 pm
YES!!!

Excellent season premier!

I always have to watch it twice to catch all the dialect. Missed the whole thing at the beginning about new government, and the letter.

Bullock makes me sweat. Can't believe he's falling for her... Remember the scene wheb her Dad was in town?

Well, don't wanna give too much away for anyone that missed it.

On to Carnaval. Dang! That was a good one too. Think I've got a lot of it figured out, but worried about Sofie.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 07:34 am
Both of those shows end too damn soon. I was surprised about Bullock and Swearengen -- I thought they were getting along since last season.

Carnival -- holy bejeezus. Still trying to figure out what "Sophie is the Omega" means. She's the last? The last what?
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 08:17 am
I know that Swearengen used excessively foul language in season one, but is it my imagination or has it actually increased this season.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 12:05 pm
LOL! I don't think it could increase unless the F and GD words were the entire script.

Early on in season one of Deadwood, Bear looked up some stuff and it has actually been following the real records available on Deadwood, Bullock, Wild Bill and Clamity Jane.

DON"T READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU DON'T WANT INSIGHT INTO CARNAVAL OR DON'T WANT ANYTHING REVEALED YOU MAY NOT HAVE CONSIDERED!!!

As far as Sofie in Carnaval...

Bear and I figured out early on that the preacher and sister are the dark side. Ben Hawkins and Sofie are the other side. Since one side is brother and sister, the other probably is too. Sofies Mom was raped, and Sampson warned Ben about getting close to Sofie in that way, so he may know something. Also, both Ben and Sofies Moms were affected by having given birth. If Ben is the Alpha, Sofie would be the Omega?

Not sure where management comes into all this. Thought he was preachers dad and Scutter was Bens Dad, but then why did Management give power to Ben?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 12:20 pm
I also thought that Ben and Sophie were probably sister and brother. And Sofie's mom was raped by a guy with a tree on his chest so it was probably Scutter.

Management was definitely preacher's dad, but he thought the son was dead and didn't know who Ben's enemy was until right before he died. But my guess is that the good has to pass power to the good, the evil to evil.

So, Scutter is interesting because he was trying to hide and not be involved. So will the preacher become more powerful when he gets his hands on Scutter?

And who besides me thinks that Sophie is pregnant from Ben. Hell, they made it rain! Ok, maybe I should start a Carnivale thread.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 03:22 pm
I was thinking about the Sofie pregnant thing today. I'm waiting for Preacher to get his hands on her and then we wouldn't know if the child would be good or evil.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 03:23 pm
Ooooh. The plot thickens.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 06:27 pm
At first I thought this thread was about my former husband....Deadwood and all, but then realized it wasn't! Razz

Not having television really limits me sometimes. I am guessing this is a tv show? Has it been around a long time? I think when I get moved within the next couple of months and actually have television, I'm going to be rather shell shocked. Shocked
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 06:49 pm
Deadwood is an HBO mini-series. This is its second season. It's about the town of Deadwood in the late 1800s (?). It's just a really well-written show with fabulous characters and amazing dialogue. I'd bet that they will start distributing the seasons on video soon enough, like they did with the Sopranos.

I never had a tv until I moved in with my husband. I have to say that aside from Law and Order, HBO is the only channel worth watching for drama and comedy. I wish we could go a la carte and just pay for Nick Jr., HBO, and HGTV. Those are about the only channels we watch.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 07:14 pm
I saw the first season on DVD the other day at the store.

The dialogue is certainly colorful. One of the funniest exchanges I saw was between Swearingen and Mr. Wu. "I'm glad I taught you that word"
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 07:45 am
I liked that one. In Sunday's episode, Swearengen did an imitation of Farnum that was so funny it made me laugh out loud.
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 05:08 pm
I got hooked on "Deadwood" last season and true to form, HBO has yet again been the network that produces the most entertaining, though-provoking series TV on the airwaves. "Deadwood" is definitely not for everyone but the near Shakespearean dialogue mixed with the most image-capturing swearing this side of the late, great Dr. Hunter Thompson makes this my own personal favorite.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 09:10 pm
Thought I would pop in here and see who might be following Deadwood. Ought not to be surprised, squinney, to find you and Bear kicking about. Hi duck. AllenSwan...the Shakespeare analogy isn't out of place.

This is a masterpiece. I haven't seen anything this good since Sorkin and Dennis Potter.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 06:54 am
I confess it's the dialogue that has me hooked with the excellent character development a close second.

Sunday's show had me laughing out loud. My favorite had to be the exchange between Calamity Jane and "Nigger General". "This here is the ass of a drunken shitbird." Pure poetry. I like to watch the show twice because there's always some little meaning I missed the first time.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 06:55 am
Oh yeah, and welcome to the nutty farm, blatham.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 12:16 pm
One of the things I really like about Deadwood is how they leave the wounds on the characters. In many shows and movies, the characters fight but don't get hurt. Or they get hurt but miraculously are healed by the end of the show. On Deadwood, a fist fight is ugly and bloody and the scars and wounds stay for several episodes.
0 Replies