Today's multiple shooting is in my backyard Annapolis,MD

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2018 02:10 pm
We are in lockdown right now. Helicopters are in the air and right now 24 hours news is reporting the shootings at the Capital Gazette Newspaper. Reports are spotty, early reports mention 4 fatalities.
We don't know if there are any shooters still at large. The neighborhood children have been ushered inside their homes and doors are locked.

Courts and Crime reporter Phil Davis tweets that a shooter fired thru the glass doors and opened fire on the office force. He reports being under his desk and hearing a weapon being re-loaded.

I don 't know how fluid the situation is now, waiting for news updates.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,564 • Replies: 24

MKABRSTI

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2018 11:18 pm
@glitterbag,
I know quite a few people from that area.

Shootings are not a uncommon thing in the Baltimore area?
From my understanding Baltimore has the highest rates of a lot of things for the nation & has held it for a long time.
I know you said Annapolis however I know how close Annapolis is..

I mean of course the degree of this recent one is far more serious than the average in that area.
MKABRSTI

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2018 11:19 pm
@glitterbag,
I will pray that you & your family stay safe.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2018 12:26 am
@MKABRSTI,
Thank you for your prayers. My family was not targeted, but four reporters and a sales rep working for this small town newspaper were killed today.. The people who were killed are not nationally known...they cover local school sports, local County and City elections and are truly plain vanilla.

We expected our 6 year old granddaughter earlier today, but we called her mom and told her to stay home because she would have had to pass the area where the active shooter was unknown. It was so close and initially were didn't know what was happening.....all we knew was to get the kids inside and warn other neighbors to lock their doors. It's summer...everybody is out tending to gardens, kids are playing outside..and it's abnormal to realize you should hide in your house.
MKABRSTI

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2018 12:37 am
@glitterbag,
You're welcome.
Yes I heard the news of what happened out your way (hence why I said it's a different type of shooting for your area)

I generally browse news websites to see what it going on when I'm about to go to bed...

Eh,,, Yeah a society shouldn't have to live like that locking ones doors & staying inside...
0 Replies

MKABRSTI

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2018 12:39 am
@glitterbag,
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-ramos-search-20180628-story.html

It looks like they found him.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2018 01:06 am
@MKABRSTI,
He's in custody...last thing I heard is that he's not cooperating with police....It's too early to attribute motive.
MKABRSTI

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2018 01:15 am
@glitterbag,
Well...
Idk what else to say other than.
I really hope they got the right guy....
glitterbag

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2018 01:17 am
@MKABRSTI,
Me too.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2018 02:49 am

here's the latest from CNBC...
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2018 06:55 am
They're made of stern stuff those Annapolis journalists.

Quote:
Staff at a Maryland newspaper have published a Friday edition after a gunman killed five people and injured two more at the paper's office.

"We are putting out a damn paper tomorrow," tweeted Chase Cook, a Capital Gazette reporter. Staff worked in the car park to get the paper out.

The gunman, who fired through a glass door into the newsroom on Thursday with a shotgun, was arrested afterwards.

He has been charged with murder and has a bail hearing shortly.

A Capital Gazette reporter tweeted the charge sheet which shows that Jarrod Ramos was charged with five counts of first-degree murder.

The suspect is reported to have unsuccessfully sued the newspaper group in 2012 for defamation.

The paper tweeted the front page of their Friday paper as well as obituaries of their colleagues.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44654077
MKABRSTI

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2018 03:20 pm
@glitterbag,
The thing I find interesting is that another journalist is being blamed for this, there's been 1000's of tweets blaming him today for this.
He mentioned in one of his social accounts today that he is taking civil action.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2018 04:07 pm
@izzythepush,
It’s amazing to me that the reporters rallied and put out the newspaper for today. They actually set up in a parking lot across the road from the murder scene and pumped out the paper. Two of the survivors who were in the office during the attack were interviewed by cable news outlets and were remarkably coherent describing the ordeal they had been thru. The reporters are not seasoned tv types, but they were so articulate, so honest and told their story with no manufactured hype. Most of those of us who live locally know these reporters because they the ones you see at zoning meetings, covering charity events, and the like. They shop in the same grocery store, are customers at hair salons, eat at local restaurants and are not well paid. In other words, they are ordinary citizens, going to work, taking care of their children just like every one else.

0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2018 04:08 pm
@MKABRSTI,
Do you know the name of that reporter?
glitterbag

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2018 04:11 pm
@MKABRSTI,
MKABRSTI wrote:

The thing I find interesting is that another journalist is being blamed for this, there's been 1000's of tweets blaming him today for this.
He mentioned in one of his social accounts today that he is taking civil action.

Hang on, are you talking about the talk radio guy who announced he couldn’t wait for the vigilantes to come and start shooting fake news reporters? Please tell me it’s not that guy?
0 Replies

MKABRSTI

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2018 04:34 pm
@glitterbag,
Milo Yiannopoulos

It was simply a troll message, he has no connection with the person who did this.

Also when he said what he said it was in private messages by him to Journalists that are not connected to the people whom were targeted.

But Also Milo is a hated person among many for being a gay man with a black boyfriend who happens to be a republican, he was given the name "The Dangerous Fa****" which he sometimes refers to himself as.

glitterbag

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2018 09:02 pm
@MKABRSTI,
MKABRSTI wrote:

Milo Yiannopoulos

It was simply a troll message, he has no connection with the person who did this.

Also when he said what he said it was in private messages by him to Journalists that are not connected to the people whom were targeted.

But Also Milo is a hated person among many for being a gay man with a black boyfriend who happens to be a republican, he was given the name "The Dangerous Fa****" which he sometimes refers to himself as.

I don't understand what you are saying. I know who Milo is ....... however what part does he play in our recent tragedy? I doubt Milo is hated for the reasons you list, and I'm not even sure he is hated. I think he's basically just a needy guy who needs to be in the spotlight in order to feel relevant.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2018 07:17 am
And I didn't realise you were such a nasty git. GB lives just around the corner from where this shooting took place. She's bound to be shaken up. A decent person would realise that, but clearly decency is something you're entirely unfamiliar with.
Blickers

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2018 11:50 pm
@izzythepush,
Sounds like MKxxxxxx is more concerned with poor Milo than the people who got gunned down.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2018 01:09 am
@Blickers,
One of the most honest thing I heard during that ordeal, was when one of the reporters who escaped with her life and had to hop over recently butchered colleagues, people she has worked with and respects as friends and mentors was being interviewed via phone by Anderson Cooper. She described the events as they unfolded and Anderson asked her did she find comfort in the Thoughts and Prayers being offered by the Administration. Her answer was that she and her colleagues hid under desks and prayed for help, prayed for their families and prayed everyone would survive, she also said she and her friends were grateful for the prayers, but they need more than thoughts and prayers. She said that she knew that within a few days no one would be thinking about the massacre in her office, there would be something else capturing attention. She and the Newspaper staff will never forget what happened at 2:30 on a beautiful summer day....the damage can't be reversed....so if that's the extent of the solution, she doesn't want the ******* prayers.

She was exhausted, she had experienced something horrible, her life has been altered.....I understand why she said what she did.....
0 Replies