Practical hints for dealing with senile memory loss

Noddy24

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 11:38 am
Mr. Noddy has now admitted that his memory is failing. I've invested in two sizes of sticky note pads and an impressive assortment of refrigerator magnets.

His beloved clutter areas have been winnowed and tidied.

He never leaves the house without a list.

Does any one else have some practical coping suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,620 • Replies: 16
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 11:49 am
At least he's now admitted it, for my mom that was a major step in helping my dad deal with his memory loss.

I remember a few things she did that really helped:

She simplified the refridgerator so that really the only things accessable were prepared foods that didn't require cooking. Dad had a habit of putting things on the stove and forgetting all about them.

She notified his regular haunts about his condition so they could contact her if he became confused. Places like the corner grocery where his face was known but they didn't really know who he was.

Thinking some more.....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 11:57 am
For my dad, keeping a sense of productivity and accomplishment was important (he was only in his 50s when dementia crept in). My mom cleaned out his office leaving only a calculator, pen and paper. He would occupy himself with these things for hours, thinking he was "working".

My dad would also spend hours with old photo albums. They gave him a lot of comfort because he could remember those old times easier than he could new times.

These "occupying" tasks were the only things that allowed my mom to get anything done.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 12:08 pm
Medical ID style bracelets that carry the basic information he should never forget and would help someone if he was found to locate you and his home.

Timers. They create a sence of urgency in the brain that causes the electrical paths to strengthen. Though comepletely annoying for others, it will help stimulate his brain . Can also be used to remember times of day, a good thing to use to stop him at certain times and see what he is doing and where.
Above all else, dont forget dignity. ( i doubt you would noddy..) But for those who may be looking to this thread for help..
Dignity. Dont embarass , dont prod, dont force yourself. Give them time to realize what is going on and always treat them the same. Large changes in living arrangements, furniture etc.. can trigger a sense of confusion as well.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 12:09 pm
bookmark
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 12:18 pm
Can't let my husband drive any more. That is really the worst blow. There is a glimmer about curry powder helping this situation. I'll try and find it for you all.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 12:21 pm
Sorry for the double post. Tried to delete it, but the message said that I could only delete my own posts. Confused
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 12:29 pm
Since Mr Noddy is able to admit that his memory is slipping, I am willing to bet it isnt too bad yet ? Correct?
Small changes in diet help also. A little larger helping of protien, no granulated sugar ( get your sugars from fruits and root veggies ) , added vitamin B12 .
In my experience, I have seen people start music lessons and were able to fend off a large portion of memory loss. ( Not in every case ) reading, remembering important stages of thier lives, spending time trying to recall other stanges of life. Think of the brain as a muscle and try to work it out as much as possible. Memory games ..though childish.. help stimulate the brain. Routine is extremely helpful. If you dont have one that includes all the important steps of the day, there is no better time then now to start one. Labels, Labels, Labels . Calanders in the rooms of the house with the days crossed off.

( I have alot of little things like this that I had to do with my alzheimers patients. As I remember them myself and find my old college books, I will post more for you . )
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 03:24 pm
Thanks to you all.

Boomerang--

The refrigerator has been organized in the same way for years and Mr. Noddy has given up trying to fathom the freezer although he does have a knack for finding the ice cream.

Fortunately microwave techniques are firmly graven in "old" memory.

He's a tinkerer--although he no longer redds up after himself and he complains bitterly that simply projects take much longer than they should. I'm resigned that he's moving from accomplishing project to talking about accomplishing projects.

He's fairly well-known in this rural neighborhood.

Fortunately he's also a television watcher--although more and more this means he's a television dozer.

shewolf--

Unfortunately Mr. Noddy is a long term diabetic with a deep seated distrust of Med Alert bracelets. I'm still working on that one.

He loathes my timers. One of his more satisfactory speeches is that as a retired gentleman of leisure, he doesn't have to be bound to a clock. He fights routine

He also has some very peculiar notions about his diet. On my bad days I reckon that his diabetes will do him in before the final stroke of Multi Infract Dementia (MID).

He's not a reader. He has been recording tapes, karoke style--although lately he's been talking about recording tapes rather than actually recording.

Letty--

I'm dreading the day I have to take away the car keys. Access to wheels is a staple of American manhood.

Again, thank you all.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 03:37 pm
The only thing I can add is lists and organization. Keys always on a key rack by the door. Boots always in the same place. That sort of thing.

Other routines might also be helpful, e. g. Wednesday is always pizza night, that kind of thing. Then you can shop for it on the weekend (if you make your own), put it together and have it together. "I love Wednesdays." "Why?" "'Cause it's pizza night." That sort of thing. It might be trivial but that could help to anchor the week. When I wasn't working, it was important to me to have routines (e. g. it's Tuesday, look, the paper has a Science section in it); otherwise, every day looked like every other and I easily lost track of time. He may feel a bit rudderless and so some things he can count on as always happening at a particular time or on a particular day might be helpful.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 04:32 pm
jespah, that reminds me of my friend K, who grew up in a very well to do family that was run like the military.

It was forever before anyone realized her mother had dementia. Cocktails were served promptly at 5:00, dinner at 6:00; the staff took care of all the details. Her mom never missed a cue. Her father never noticed that anything was wrong.

K and her sister, a doctor, were visiting one holiday and noticed that their mom was not herself.....
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 05:24 pm
jespha--

Unfortunately, Mr. Noddy fights routine. This complicates his diabetes, but pampers his pride.

He's not bothered by not knowing what day it is--knowing what day it is is my job--sometimes at hourly intervals.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 09:44 am
UhOh, Noddy. Look what I found:(sorry for the white space)

Marijuana-like Ingredient Could Slow Alzheimer's

Cannabinoids could reduce inflammation associated with disease

By Janice Billingsley
HealthDay Reporter

WEDNESDAY, Feb. 23 (HealthDay News) -- By suppressing inflammation in the brain, a synthetic marijuana compound could potentially offer some protection against Alzheimer's disease, Spanish scientists report.

The researchers, who studied the brain tissue of deceased Alzheimer's patients, discovered that many of these patients lose the function of important cannabinoid brain receptors, which seem to guard against cognitive decline.

They further discovered in a rat study involving synthetic marijuana that when these brain receptors were working, they reduced the brain inflammation that is associated with Alzheimer's.
0 Replies

duce

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 01:47 pm
USE IT OR LOSE IT is also applicable in small doses. If there are certain things he needs to remember, make a game out of it, but repetition can be VERY important.

Where do we bank?
Where are our important papers?
When do we go back to the Dr?

As others suggest Dignity prevails. Memory games help slow the loss if he is agreeable.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 05:10 pm
Letty--

Oh, dear. I went through the Pot Wars with the first Mr. Noddy and then with both sons and stepsons.....

Personally, I have no High Moral Indignation about pot smoking, but I do not have the energy to be a test case. I just might summon up the energy if I were promised a private cell--with visitors only one day a week--but otherwise I'm wimping out.

Duce--

Mr. Noddy now allows that Something Is Wrong, but he's sure in his heart of hearts that everyone (except me) has trouble remembering the days of the week and doctors' appointments.

Our dialogues on these subjects isn't "Memory Games"--it's more like riding in the car with a kid who asks every 3 or 4 minutes, "When will we get there?"
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 05:16 pm
It's a synthetic version, Noddy, but I know what you mean. Anyone who has dealt with teenagers or raised them, doesn't get a complete night's sleep. Smile

Well, we do what we must, and try to keep ourselves as healthy as possible.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 05:29 pm
Health? A frill. I'm charging towards Serenity!

And serenity keeps retreating.

Damnit.
0 Replies