the new WTC

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 10:22 pm
AP Photo
Libeskind Plan Chosen for WTC Site
(AP) - A cluster of sloping, angular buildings with a 1,776-foot spire that would be the tallest in the world was chosen Wednesday as the blueprint to redevelop the World Trade Center site, The Associated Press has learned. Architect Daniel Libeskind's design beat a plan by an international design team known as THINK, which envisioned two 1,665-foot latticework towers straddling the footprints of the original towers, said a source familiar with the selection. An official announcement is expected Thursday
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,661 • Replies: 10
No top replies

LarryBS

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 11:10 pm
Slide Show of design proposal, Libeskind Design Team at Lower Manhattan Development Corporation site

Libeskind Slide Show

Daniel Libeskind

"Aerial view" of design

Aerial view
0 Replies

seattlefriend

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 11:56 pm
the Libeskind design
Every September 11, between the times of the first tower attack and the second, the 'sun will shine without shadow' -- into the park.

I love this! The Mayans did it, the Egyptians did it, and now we at last will have a monument which is 'tuned in' to the sun and calendar.

On the other side, who will want to work in these tall towers?

Seattle friend (Jeanne deSeattle)
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 12:24 am
Nice pick I think it seems appropriate and I hope it will be up next time I visit NYC. I have not been since 9/11 but can barely tolerate the image of the Manhatten skyline empty of the towers.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 07:18 am
I don't like it.

It looks too modern for the site and its too tall.

I still like my 4-corners idea. Where there would have been 4 60-70 story towers located at the four compass points and a plaza.
0 Replies

colorific

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 08:05 am
I feel offended that a German Architect is getting the prestigious job of designinging a replacement for the trade center.
This is a country who won't back our position in the Middle East; so it is outrageous to be giving "one of theirs" a high paying job of this scope...particularly one that we all have to look at.
I'm a New Yorker; I want this thing to be designed and built by a New Yorker; preferably by someone who was there on 9/11; and with the full input of the New york fire Dept.....they're the ones that will be answering the calls.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 08:31 am
Although this was not my first choice, now that I look at it again, I think that it will work well.

colorific- If you check the links that were provided, you will find that the architect is not German, but a naturalized American citizen of Polish descent.

Quote:
Born in postwar Poland in 1946, Libeskind became an American citizen in 1965.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 08:35 am
And I believe a New Yorker, too.

Jeanne, I agree about the whole "Wedge of light" idea. I've read a lot about the dichotomies inherent in this building -- memorial/ looking to the future, etc. -- and the futuristic design combined with an ancient feature (sun-oriented design) really encapsulates that beautifully.

I hadn't noticed until I saw the slideshow how the tallest tower echoes the form of the Statue of Liberty. Nice.

It looks so EXPENSIVE, though. When will this happen?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 11:02 am
OK, looks like we're all a little right:

Quote:
Libeskind, who immigrated to New York from Poland as a teenager, said he was motivated to enter the design competition by his sense of loyalty to the city.

"As an American and a New Yorker, someone who studied at Bronx High School of Science and studied architecture at Cooper Union, I wanted to do my utmost to make New York whole again," Libeskind said in a telephone interview from his home in Berlin.

http://www.upenn.edu/pennnews/current/2003/022703/feature3.html

So he currently lives in Germany, not in New York, but he has.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 12:19 am
Charlie Rose, on his nightly PBS talk show (Charlie Rose) has had several guests in the last week discussing Libeskind's design. He had the Lower Manhattan Development Corp. people on last week, Libeskind on Friday, and last night had two reporters who cover architecture in New York. The website has the old shows archived (just the audio) and they are interesting shows. These recent shows haven't reached the Archives page yet, but will soon, if you are interested.

Apparently the second place design, with two huge latticed towers, would have cost a fortune, and that was a consideration in picking Libeskind's. I preferred it, it was stunning.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 11:25 pm
http://www.charlierose.com/archives/archive.shtm

March 3
New York Times journalists Herbert Muschamp and Edward Wyatt talk with Charlie Rose about the Lower Manhattan Development Corp.'s selection of architect Daniel Libeskind's design for the World Trade Center site in Lower Manhattan.

February 27
Real estate developer Larry Silverstein , who leased the World Trade Center for $3.2 billion six weeks before it was destroyed, talks with Charlie Rose about his interest in the property, the Sept. 11 attacks and his lawsuit against 20 insurance companies led by Swiss Reinsurance Co. over his losses.
0 Replies