Looking for Bookkeeping Job, Hate Work, Hate Looking For Job

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 09:15 am
Ms. Negative this morning.... oh, where to start? I spent 20 years in corporate environments, working F/T as a computer operator, programmer, database analyst, second-level help desk, reports analyst, support, etc. Hated it all! Lots of corporate-speak, lots of corporate games, but the pay was great.

I found little "real" meaning in any of it, maybe just my own cynical nature; it was rather hard to work myself up into feeling I'd done any good. I tried really hard, thinking, well, I've just made this person's job easier, which is worth something, but I realized it was just my trying to convince myself I was making a difference. The difference was miniscule. OTOH, maybe all differences an individual can make are miniscule.

Fast forward to post-marriage, when I THINK we can actually afford to both work part-time. Been looking for a part-time Bookkeeping job, which is what I've done for the last several years (teehee! Not looking, but working at it).

Believe it or not, owning almost 3 acres with a crappy double-wide trailer, our mortgage is only $308/monthly, since we bought the place 6 1/2 years ago, before property values went way up in our area. Even our electric bill is cheap... maybe $55-80/monthly. So if I ever FIND a job, it could easily work.

Sure, bookkeeping is just as meaningless as corporate database analysis, but I went to it because, in a rural area, NOBODY needs an analyst. I'm working on an at-home Bookkeeping course, and I DO have that "everything-in-its-place" sort of mentality, so it pleases me to some extent. However it's been difficult to find something part-time, and I'm really tired of searching-not-finding right now.

My last job I only held for 4 months, so it's not even on my resume.... oh, how I hated my boss! He owned a tiny local business (franchise). I did all his bookkeeping. He was named Mohammed & wanted to be called "John." He was so critical of virtually everything I did (and everybody else did), he lost employees faster than he could hire them. Every day I'd come in and, before I could put my bag down, he would start in on all the things he thought I'd done "wrong" the day before. In fact, I always work hard and am smart enough to hardly ever make mistakes, no matter how difficult the work may be. So I knew I was doing a better job than 90% (or more) of other local folk.

On my 3-month review, he criticized me for doing what he told me to do... it was my fault, he said, for not stopping him. So one day I said, good luck finding anyone who wants to work with the likes of YOU.... and off I went.

The job before that was 25-30 hours per work working for a local pest control business, which I held for 2 years. I answered the phones (oh, nasty nasty customers!), kept the books, vacuumed the carpet, everything nobody else wanted to do. We only had 3-4 employees.

The boss was 28-30 yrs old, just married with a 1-3 year-old child. He'd inherited the business (or this part of it) from dad, and complained constantly about how hard he worked, even though I actually worked quite a bit harder than he did. He'd come in for 15 minutes, go out to a 2-hour breakfast, drive around and visit friends, then come in & complain about how hard his life was.

This fellow lied to me virtually every day about SOMEthing or other, even trivial things that nobody cared about anyway. How I hated that! The end came when he moved the office into his house, with his screaming 2-year-old & wife who put dirty diapers in the office trash (not having kids myself, I never knew just how stinky a diaper could be!). Couldna stand it no more, given the lies, the lies, and the lies.

This is really just a RANT, can you tell?

NOW, I'm looking again for part-time bookkeeping, and finding nothing. Had a good interview last week, but haven't heard back from them. Since then I've started to apply for full-time, though I seriously doubt I'll keep anything full-time for more than a year, if that (not that I would tell an employer that).

I'm just feeling discouraged. Sad Contacting a local employment service this morning. Comments/suggestions welcome.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 941 • Replies: 2
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 09:47 am
Oh, wow! Another professional juggler!

Sadly, the jobs that are advertised don't seem worth having. Make friends with people in business, or working in business environments. Learn to impose on friends. Learn to call imposing on friends "networking."
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 10:23 am
Thanks for listening to my Rant this morning, Roger, and that's a darned good idea, esp. in a small town like this.

I think we actually have a business networking organization nearby, if I can find it.... oh, I hate being so shy! It's always a fight for me to do something like this. I Will Win the Fight, I Will Get a Job.... Every day, things are getting better and better...
0 Replies