Trump's trade war sank the stock market

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 11:47 am
Trump is a moron. He doesn't know anything about our Constitution or Economics; both important issues for any president. His tariff war sank our stock market, losing all the gains for this year. His ignorance is dangerous to our country's health. The current border crisis that separates children from their parent is damaging the children's mental health - which can never be recovered. We have a president mentally unfit to be the president of a toy company no less our great country. The damage he's causing our country may be long term, and I'm not sure we can expect any quick recovery even after Trump is replaced. We can look forward to more damage for our country and the world. I can't think of one good thing Trump has accomplished. Can you?

mark noble

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 12:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Nathan Rothschild stole the world
Gained control of boys and girls
Twisted fate and thus unfurled
The premise of the day...

CIC - You know fckall. Go away.
oralloy

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 08:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Trump is a moron. He doesn't know anything about our Constitution or Economics; both important issues for any president.
Every time I've heard you say that Trump doesn't understand the Constitution, it has turned out to be you who didn't understand the Constitution.

cicerone imposter wrote:
I can't think of one good thing Trump has accomplished. Can you?
Yes. He has protected our gun rights from the Democrats.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2018 06:48 pm
@mark noble,
Quote mark noble:
Quote:
CIC - You know fckall. Go away.

Cicerone bought his house a few decades ago for $50K, and now it's worth $1.5 Million.

Which means he knows finance. When you show us that you know something useful, maybe then you might consider telling others to go away. Certainly not now.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 11:23 am
Quote:
He doesn't know anything about our Constitution
based on this ban on Muslims to enter our country. We have religious freedom in America according to our Constitution.
Quote:
He doesn't know anything about our .... Economics
. His tariffs proves it. It started a trade war that will end up costing more for everybody. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-08/did-donald-trump-just-start-a-global-trade-war-quicktake
I can assure everyone that this is not the end of Trump's damage to our country's economic health nor our relationship to our allies. He's dangerous because congress fails to control him.
0 Replies

seac

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 01:42 pm
The stock market goes up and down on all kinds of news. Even this trade war with China. Investors will always be around to readjust their holdings. Sooner or later a US president will have to make the decision to do something about the unfairness in trades between our country and theirs. I think it is too late with China. We have given them state of the art communication technology which they can dominate the world with. They don't need to destroy us with nukes. They do it with economics.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 02:03 pm
@seac,
There will always be investors as long as there is capital. There will also be the rich, middle class and the poor. China may grow their GDP, but their standard of living is below standard. It's about per capita GDP, not the country's total gdp, and their standard of living. Most Scandinavian countries have very high standard of living.
From Wiki: In past times, the Chinese economy was characterized by widespread poverty, extreme income inequalities, and endemic insecurity of livelihood. Since then, the most concrete evidence of improved living standards has been that average national life expectancy has more than doubled, rising from around forty-four years in 1949 to sixty-eight years in 1985. In addition, the percentage of the Chinese population estimated to be living in absolute poverty fell from between 200-270 million in 1978 to 70 million in 2017.[1]

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/04/china-has-a-water-crisis-how-can-it-be-solved/

However, what they don't mention is the simple fact that China's economic growth has also polluted their environment with 2/3rds of the fresh water polluted, and their smog problem that shortens lifespans. https://www.cnbc.com/2016/02/11/pollution-crisis-is-choking-the-chinese-economy.html Their pollution problems are hindering the economic growth rate.
Blickers

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 11:02 pm
@seac,
Quote seac:
Quote:
We have given them state of the art communication technology which they can dominate the world with. They don't need to destroy us with nukes. They do it with economics.

Don't be so sure. Twenty years from now robots will have taken over manufacturing, and Lord knows what kind of electronics-brain interfaces we will have to boost our technology. Chips in the brain to increase brain efficiency, and all that. Inventions like we can't imagine. Population might not mean that much in the not too distant future.
farmerman

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2018 05:45 am
@Blickers,
we'll still need lots of consumers.I can see where farming, health, and entertainment will be our biggest industries
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2018 06:12 am
@seac,
I think you aren't considering the true impact of a rising Chinese economy. Much of the current paranoia around China reflects the Japan panic of the 80's. The reason our trade imbalance was so lopsided in the past is that the Chinese people don't have the wealth to consume. As the middle classes rise in China, they start consuming more and buying more imports, and do you know what the real status symbols are among the Chinese - Foreign goods. All the best families buy US crafted furniture (as opposed to the Chinese made stuff), go into a Chinese high end department store and you will see non-stop US and European brands. When China fully develops, the US will have a relationship with it like is does with the EU, Japan or Canada. Lots of products will flow both ways and each place will do what it does best and there are a lot of benefits to that. No sane person wants to go to war with a major trading partner.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2018 06:17 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

However, what they don't mention is the simple fact that China's economic growth has also polluted their environment with 2/3rds of the fresh water polluted, and their smog problem that shortens lifespans.

This is very true and there is nothing more disconcerting than seeing the air while you are there and knowing that you are breathing that stuff, but the Chinese are completely aware of this issue and are aggressively working on it. They are clamping down on polluters, pursuing clean energy, restricting cars in their big cities, etc. Basically, China is where the US was in the 60's with lot of pollution but an awareness of how big the problem is and some energy to fix it.
farmerman

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2018 09:02 am
@engineer,
The thing is that theyve learned that a great deal of GDP based on pollution control technology is an engineering practice that can be sold around the world. What the hell, e gave em the entire Solar panel industry (becaue weve taken aay incentives even to the designers and installers of the solar systems), and WE started the pollution control industry and sold off the "Gizmos" we created to china and India.

I say that were jut not too bright. Weve successfully split the country Half if us are total incompetents to even understand scientific facts, and the other half cant understand whats happening.

Now weve got this douche bag beginning a trade war and the trading partners respond by targeted tarriffs like bourbon, soy products ,furniture. AND his base still believes he knows what hes doing.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2018 09:15 am
@farmerman,
It's been easy to determine that Trump is a moron. He really doesn't understand economics, and he supposedly graduated from Wharton. His idea of a wall and tariffs has all the negatives screaming at us, but people still supports this moron. No wonder Hitler was so successful.
neptuneblue

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2018 07:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Declaring bankruptcy and starting fresh only goes so far. Once a company restructures, its creditors will take that into consideration. But if the same leadership does the same old tired practices, the company fails AGAIN and now investors are shy to give money to people who either don't learn from their mistakes which forces the company to seek investment from sources that have scrupulous tactics.

A Country cannot run like a business. Declaring itself to be a lone wolf doesn't sit well with over 500 sovereign nations. We have to work towards a common goal, not establish policies that don't work here, let alone worldwide.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2018 07:57 pm
@neptuneblue,
Many companies go bankrupt every year. The management or owner doesn't understand the need for cash flow, and underestimate the time it takes for the business to grow enough to be self-sufficient. I have done consulting for small businesses, and taught them inventory control. I also consulted a nonprofit in Arizona, because of their poor cash flow. It was an easy solution; the employees needed to cut their salaries based on their revenue flow. I was a Director of Administration for a nonprofit, and made sure that their reserve had a healthy balance. Because their fiscal management was rated excellent, they were awarded more contracts by the state. On a personal note, I was able to retire early and travel the world - having traveled to 128 countries on my last count.
As for the stock market, I have never listened to financial pundits who have recommended that the investor increase their bond holdings as they age. That's balogne. I did the opposite and kept my equity balance at over 80%. My past 12-month return is over 13%. I must admit that the 2008-2009 recession hurt our investments, but made up the loss in 1.5 years.
neptuneblue

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2018 08:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I disagree. Owners DO understand cash flow, it's the sustainability that comes into conflict, What you're saying is employees always have to give up wages before management considers reconstruction of their business model. That should have been taken into consideration BEFORE anything else.

What worked for you as an independent contractor when you acquired wealth doesn't benefit the workers that actually DO the work to sustain the company. Sure, an outside opinion is always welcome, but not necessarily going to be beneficial.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2018 08:22 pm
@neptuneblue,
From Forbes: Reason #5: Inability to nail a profitable business model with proven revenue streams.
neptuneblue

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2018 08:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Spoken as a true outsider.

I've had a stream of "professionals" telling ME how to increase revenue when the issue actually is a poor business model. Increasing production at the expense of the workers leads to poor moral and high turnover. Outdated machinery, incompetent and detached management are all issues that cannot be solved by decreasing workers wages.

You're paid to come in to tell the owners what they want to hear at the employee's expense. You get yours but nobody else does. And you wonder why there's a crisis in manufacturing...
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2018 08:47 pm
@neptuneblue,
I was talking about a nonprofit organization where their revenue is determined by state grants and fundraising. It's not about outdated machinery, incompetent or detached management. Most people who work for nonprofits are underpaid, but with more education and dedicated to their jobs than people who work for commerce. Their jobs are not 9 to 5 jobs. Many work on weekends too.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2018 08:54 pm
@farmerman,
For some of us who understand what's going on, it is very discouraging. Trump doesn't understand anything about economics, and he's creating unnecessary handicaps for our country and trading partners.
0 Replies