AARP not your father's suffleboard

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 09:16 am
Seems the AARP doesn't support Bush's social security "plan" so what does the rightwing do? they accuse the AARP of being anti-US troops and pro gay marriage by running ads showing two men kissing and a red x over the image of an american soldier. USA NEXT (United Seniors Association) a rightwing organization has gone after the AARP not on the issues of Social Security reform but on the AARP stand against the Ohio anti gay marriage amendment which the AARP took a stand against because the language of the Ohio proposal threatens the rights of all unmarried couples, including unmarried seniors, regardless of their sexual orientation.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 430 • Replies: 6
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 09:29 am
While I'm no fan of the AARP, this is typical Republican chicanery and probably will have a measure of success.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 01:13 pm
Im not a fan of the AARP either but I would trust them way before I would trust bush or the social security "trust".
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 01:31 pm
AARP has weathered worse storms than this. As Edgar has already said, this is so typical of the sleazy way the current GOP runs its p.r. campaigns: if you haven't got a good counter-argument, change the subject and smear the opposition.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 03:06 pm
Anyone but me think that in 5-10 years there'll be a kind of cross between MoveOn and the AARP?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 05:59 pm
Among USA Next's claims articulated on FOX (Network News) are that the AARP is "the world's largest left, liberal lobbying organization in the world" that is "definitely against traditional values."
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 07:53 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Among USA Next's claims articulated on FOX (Network News) are that the AARP is "the world's largest left, liberal lobbying organization in the world" that is "definitely against traditional values."

Rolling Eyes Laughing Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies