UK government manipulated legal justifications for Iraq war

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 01:33 pm
Quote:
Revealed: the rush to war

Richard Norton-Taylor
Wednesday February 23, 2005
The Guardian

The attorney general, Lord Goldsmith, warned less than two weeks before the invasion of Iraq that military action could be ruled illegal.

The government was so concerned that it might be prosecuted it set up a team of lawyers to prepare for legal action in an international court.

And a parliamentary answer issued days before the war in the name of Lord Goldsmith - but presented by ministers as his official opinion before the crucial Commons vote - was drawn up in Downing Street, not in the attorney general's chambers.

The full picture of how the government manipulated the legal justification for war, and political pressure placed on its most senior law officer, is revealed in the Guardian today.

It appears that Lord Goldsmith never wrote an unequivocal formal legal opinion that the invasion was lawful, as demanded by Lord Boyce, chief of defence staff at the time.

The Guardian can also disclose that in her letter of resignation in protest against the war, Elizabeth Wilmshurst, deputy legal adviser at the Foreign Office, described the planned invasion of Iraq as a "crime of aggression".

She said she could not agree to military action in circumstances she described as "so detrimental to the international order and the rule of law".

Her uncompromising comments, and disclosures about Lord Goldsmith's relations with ministers in the run-up to war, appear in a book by Philippe Sands, a QC in Cherie Booth's Matrix chambers and professor of international law at University College London.

Exclusive extracts of his book Lawless World are published in today's Guardian.

Lord Goldsmith warned Tony Blair in a document on March 7 2003 that the use of force against Iraq could be illegal. It would be safer to have a second UN resolution explicitly sanctioning military action.

"So concerned was the government about the possibility of such a case that it took steps to put together a legal team to prepare for possible international litigation," writes Mr Sands.

The government has refused to publish the March 7 document. It was circulated to only a very few senior ministers. All Lord Goldsmith gave the cab inet was a later oral presentation of a parliamentary answer issued under his name on March 17.

This appears contrary to the official ministerial code, which states that the complete text of opinions by the government's law officers should be seen by the full cabinet.

On March 13 2003, Lord Goldsmith told Lord Falconer, then a Home Office minister, and Baroness Morgan, Mr Blair's director of political and government relations, that he believed an invasion would, after all, be legal without a new UN security council resolution, according to Mr Sands.

On March 17, in response to a question from Baroness Ramsay, a Labour peer, Lord Goldsmith stated that it was "plain" Iraq continued to be in material breach of UN resolution 1441.

"Plain to whom?' asks Mr Sands. It is clear, he says, that Lord Goldsmith's answer was "neither a summary nor a precis of any of the earlier advices which the attorney general had provided".

He adds: "The March 17 statement does not seem to have been accompanied by a formal and complete legal opinion or advice in the usual sense, whether written by the attorney general, or independently by a barrister retained by him".

Separately, the Guardian has learned that Lord Goldsmith told the inquiry into the use of intelligence in the run-up to war that his meeting with Lord Falconer and Baroness Morgan was an informal one. He did not know whether it was officially minuted.

Lord Goldsmith also made clear he did not draw up the March 17 written parliamentary answer. They "set out my view", he told the Butler inquiry, referring to Lord Falconer and Baroness Morgan.

Yet the following day, March 18, that answer was described in the Commons order paper as the attorney general's "opinion". During the debate, influential Labour backbenchers and the Conservative frontbench said it was an important factor behind their decision to vote for war.

Robin Cook, the former foreign secretary and leader of the Commons, yesterday described the Guardian's disclosure as alarming. "It dramatically reveals the extent to which the legal opinion on the war was the product of a political process." he said.

The case for seeing the attorney general's original advice was now overwhelming, Mr Cook added. "What was served up to parliament as the view of the attorney general turned out to be the view of two of the closest aides of the prime minister," he said.

Sir Menzies Campbell, the Liberal Democrat foreign affairs spokesman, said the government's position had been seriously undermined. "The substance of the attorney general's advice, and the process by which it was partially published, simply do not stand up to scrutiny," he said.

Sir Menzies added: "The issue is all the more serious since the government motion passed by the House of Commons on March 18 2003, endorsing military action against Iraq, was expressly based on that advice."

He continued: "The public interest, which the government claims justifies non-publication of the whole of the advice, can only be served now by the fullest disclosure."

Lord Goldsmith twice changed his view in the weeks up to the invasion. He wrote to Mr Blair on March 14 2003, saying it was "essential" that "strong evidence" existed that Iraq was still producing weapons of mass destruction.

The next day, the prime minister replied, saying: "This is to confirm it is indeed the prime minister's unequivocal view that Iraq is in further material breach of its obligations."

The same day, Lord Boyce got the unequivocal advice he says he was after in a two-line note from the attorney gen eral's office. The extent of concern among military chiefs is reflected by Gen Sir Mike Jackson, head of the army, quoted by Peter Hennessy, professor of contemporary history at Queen Mary College, London. "I spent a good deal of time recently in the Balkans making sure Milosevic was put behind bars," said Sir Mike. "I have no intention of ending up in the next cell to him in the Hague."

Mr Sands records that Lord Goldsmith visited Washington in February 2003 when he met John Bellinger, legal adviser to the White House National Security Council. An official later told Mr Sands: "We had trouble with your attorney, we got him there eventually."

A spokeswoman for Lord Goldsmith said yesterday: "The attorney has said on many occasions he is not going to discuss process issues". The March 17 parliamentary answer was the "attorney's own answer", she said adding that he would not discuss the processes of how the document was drawn up.

The Department for Constitutional Affairs said it could not say if Lord Falconer had a role in drawing up the answer.
Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,136 • Replies: 54
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 01:36 pm
Remember, how many laughed, when THIS was reported one year ago? :wink: (Original article in 'The Observer' of the same date.)
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 01:53 pm
These chickens are only very slowly coming home to roost.

I wonder if any US media outlets are picking up the story- maybe under the headline

"Blair Lied To Parliament- War Criminal?"
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 02:46 am
Quote:
Fresh doubts are raised over the legality of Iraq conflict

By Andrew Grice
24 February 2005

Tony Blair came under renewed pressure yesterday to publish the legal advice on which he took Britain to war in Iraq after fresh doubts were cast about the opinion given by the Attorney General, Lord Goldsmith.

The controversy was reopened by claims that Lord Goldsmith's crucial statement endorsing military action was drafted by Downing Street rather than himself. This summary of his legal opinion was all that Cabinet ministers and MPs saw before backing the action.

Philippe Sands, a QC in Cherie Blair's Matrix chambers and a professor of international law at University College London, claims in his book Lawless World that Lord Goldsmith warned Mr Blair in a document on 7 March 2003 that the use of force against Iraq could be illegal. Mr Sands wrote: "So concerned was the Government about the possibility of such a case that it took steps to put together a legal team to prepare for possible international litigation."

The Government has refused to publish the 7 March document. On 13 March, Lord Goldsmith changed his view. He told Lord Falconer of Thoroton, then a Home Office minister, and Baroness Morgan, Mr Blair's director of government relations, that he believed an invasion would be legal without a new United Nations Security Council resolution, according to Mr Sands. The book claims that Lord Falconer and Baroness Morgan summarised Lord Goldsmith's views in the parliamentary written statement issued in his name. But this appeared to be "neither a summary nor a precis of any of the earlier advice which the Attorney General had provided".

Robin Cook, who resigned from the Cabinet over Iraq, said the Government must now publish the Attorney General's written opinion. He said: "If true, this is deeply alarming because what it tells us is that actually there was no second opinion from the Attorney General and what has been served up to us in Parliament as a precis of his second opinion was actually drafted in Downing Street by the Prime Minister's head of political affairs and by Charlie Falconer."

Yesterday, Downing Street struggled to explain why it would not disclose Lord Goldsmith's full advice on the day that Lord Falconer, now the Lord Chancellor, published his legal advice on the Royal marriage. Mr Blair's official spokesman said: "The Lord Chancellor was setting out the reasoning. The Attorney General also set out his reasoning, but not the detailed advice."

Lord Goldsmith said: "It was my genuine and independent view that action was lawful under existing Security Council resolutions. The parliamentary statement was genuinely my own view and I was not leaned on to give that view. It is nonsense to suggest that No 10 wrote the statement."
Source
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 02:48 am
Walter, they didn't 'manipulate' - they just lied. And our PM has just sent more f*cking troops in!! And we're a nation that has PLENTY of oil! Insanity!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 06:53 am
What? Oil? Did anyone mention oil?

I thought this was all meant to be about national security, WMDs, and international terrorism (that is, terrorism perpetrated by muslims, for the avoidance of any doubt.) And then of course, after that, it was about protecting the Iraqi people and offering them the benefits of freedom and democracy, on our terms.

Not about oil at all. Whatever gave you that idea?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 09:32 am
I'm hoping that Tony Blair is forced to answer to the charge of lying to Parliament, and taking the nation into war on the basis of false claims.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 02:49 pm
Quote:
Attorney General Rejects Iraq Claims

By Gavin Cordon, PA Whitehall Editor

The Attorney General, Lord Goldsmith, tonight denied reports that a parliamentary answer he issued on the legal case for the war with Iraq had been drawn up in No 10 Downing Street.

In a written statement, he rejected claims that the answer had been drafted in No 10 by Lord Falconer of Thoroton - then a Home Office minister - and the Prime Minister's director of political relations, Baroness Morgan.

He said that the answer had been prepared in his own office with the involvement of Solicitor General Harriet Harman, two of his own officials, three Foreign Office officials and a QC, Christopher Greenwood.

The then Lord Chancellor, Lord Irvine of Lairg, was also consulted.

"I was fully involved throughout the drafting process and personally finalised, and of course approved, the answer," he said.

"No other minister or official was involved in any way.
Source
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 03:04 pm
Well, regardless of what they did or didn't do, or say or not say, the invasion was the right thing to do on the presumption that we wish to live in a world that doesn't contain headlines about madmen destroying cities with WMD.

So, even if all of your dubious arguments about how the Iraq case was presented were correct, which they aren't, it would at most mean that we did the right thing ("invade") for the wrong reason.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 03:49 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
..... we wish to live in a world that doesn't contain headlines about madmen destroying cities with WMD.

I don't think Fallujah is inhabitable yet

Quote:

So, even if all of your dubious arguments about how the Iraq case was presented were correct, which they aren't, it would at most mean that we did the right thing ("invade") for the wrong reason.

If Tony Blair can be shown to have lied to Parliament to promote this invasion (which I believe he did) it should mean he has to resign. Which I believe he should.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 03:57 pm
McTag wrote:

If Tony Blair can be shown to have lied to Parliament to promote this invasion (which I believe he did) it should mean he has to resign. Which I believe he should.

If he lied, he really wouldn't have any alternative choice - and here I nearly quote literally what a minister in Her Majesty's Government and MP told me, months ago already.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 05:21 pm
McTag wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Oh, yes, far better if he had allowed a real possibility of a madman possessing doomsday weapons and killing millions. You people see conspiracies everywhere, and have no ability to distinguish between a lie and putting the best face on one's case without lying, or simply being wrong. The invasion of Iraq was necessary, and if some one of the advocates for it did something wrong in his advocacy, it only means that the right thing (invading Iraq) was done for the wrong reason.

Not only that, but as technology puts WMD within the reach of more and less sophisticated entities, we will undoubtedly have to use force to prevent other power mad dictators from obtaining these ultimate weapons. Get used to it, because, unfortunately, this is just an early taste of the shape of the world of the future.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 05:34 pm
Yes - there is still stuff circling around our PM about deliberately falsified intelligence. He keeps disclaiming knowledge.

One can only hope there emerges clear evidence of a lie to Parliament.

Sadly, if the disgusting "children overboard" lie didn't shame him into resigning, I guess this one won't.

Not that the likely replacement is any better....

I take it Brandon doesn't believe his own government about Iraq having no WMD? Well - after the stuff about their definitely, absolutely being there - I can see why.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 06:04 pm
dlowan wrote:
I take it Brandon doesn't believe his own government about Iraq having no WMD? Well - after the stuff about their definitely, absolutely being there - I can see why.

You misunderstand or misrepresent me entirely. We now believe that the WMD are gone because we invaded. Had we not invaded, there would be considerable doubt whether they were simply hidden, and maybe still under development. When it was that the WMD which he had possessed left Iraq is one of the things we don't know. Had they been there, and had he continued to develop them once sanctions were lifted and the spotlight off Iraq, they could have ushered in a Dark Age for the people of the world in his malignant hands. We would have been perfect fools not to have made sure.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 06:17 pm
Some we's may believe this - I do not believe that most we's do.

Speak not of universal we's, please.
0 Replies

gozmo

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 07:13 pm
Are we's taking the piss ?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 07:17 pm
We might be....
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 09:34 pm
dlowan wrote:
Some we's may believe this - I do not believe that most we's do.

Speak not of universal we's, please.

Do you disagree with every single sentence, or only some of them?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 09:45 pm
"We now believe that the WMD are gone because we invaded. Had we not invaded, there would be considerable doubt whether they were simply hidden, and maybe still under development. When it was that the WMD which he had possessed left Iraq is one of the things we don't know. Had they been there, and had he continued to develop them once sanctions were lifted and the spotlight off Iraq, they could have ushered in a Dark Age for the people of the world in his malignant hands. We would have been perfect fools not to have made sure."

We disagree with these ones.

I have no idea if I misrepresented you, I don't think I did - but I won't bother disagreeing with that one.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 11:10 pm
dlowan wrote:
"We now believe that the WMD are gone because we invaded. Had we not invaded, there would be considerable doubt whether they were simply hidden, and maybe still under development. When it was that the WMD which he had possessed left Iraq is one of the things we don't know. Had they been there, and had he continued to develop them once sanctions were lifted and the spotlight off Iraq, they could have ushered in a Dark Age for the people of the world in his malignant hands. We would have been perfect fools not to have made sure."

We disagree with these ones.

I have no idea if I misrepresented you, I don't think I did - but I won't bother disagreeing with that one.

You misrepresented me:

dlowan wrote:
I take it Brandon doesn't believe his own government about Iraq having no WMD?

because you implied that my central argument was that there really are WMD in Iraq now, which I state no opinion on, when, in fact, my case was something completely different: that because of the danger WMD pose, it was right to go in to find out for sure whether there were WMD, even though it then turned out that there were not.

So, you disagree with each and every one of my four sentences. For example, you disagree with:

Brandon9000 wrote:
Had they [WMD] been there, and had he continued to develop them once sanctions were lifted and the spotlight off Iraq, they could have ushered in a Dark Age for the people of the world in his malignant hands.

Do you believe that even if Hussein had had WMD hidden and he had continued to develop them once the spotlight was off Iraq, it would have been no big thang????
0 Replies