Battery charge/starting problem

Tenoch

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 01:32 pm
Got a problem on the mustang gt. It won't start. All you hear is a clicking sound when you turn the key. Sounds like when you stick a poker card into your bi-cycle spoke and ride around. So I take the battery out and take it to kragen to get chaged/diagnosed. It's two ladies and they throw it on the machine. They said it might take 60 minutes if it needs a charge. so I come back and they tell me that it's no good and that it started to stink while it was charging. Now before I buy a new battery I need to know if maybe it's a starter problem or something else?

If the problem is also the starter, will it ruin a spankin new battery if I drop one in?

Any experts.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,403 • Replies: 5
No top replies

curtis73

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 08:46 pm
The test machine is pretty fool-proof, so even two kids could run it. If it started smelling like rotten eggs when it was charging then its bad. Get a new one.

It is possible that some other component has also failed, but if the battery stinks, its toast or darn near to it. Its possible that after you put the brand new battery in it, it might still just click. If it continues to click like the card in the bike wheel, there is some problem from preventing the full juice getting to the starter. Look to the solenoid. If you put the new one in and it just clicks once when you turn the key, its the starter. Try whacking on the starter with a wrench or something. Sometimes that jars things loose and gets it working temporarily, but its in need of replacement. If you put the new battery in and it runs fine for a few days and then dies again, its the alternator. The best way to test an alternator at home is to use a volt meter. Usually, the battery will read 12+ volts when its not running, but should read 14+ when running. Often times a bad alternator will show 10-12v when running.

Multiple clicks is the solenoid cycling on and off because there isn't enough juice to hold it on. One click is the solenoid activating fine but the starter isn't turning because its bad.
0 Replies

Tenoch

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 09:00 pm
just replaced the battery, and it purs like a kitten again. thanx curtis.
0 Replies

wesS

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 06:32 am
after u buy a new battery start ur car and let it run then take of the (-) negative termanil and see if it still runs if it doesnt run the u need a new alternater
0 Replies

wesS

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 06:34 am
after u buy a new battery start ur car and let it run then take of the (-) negative termanil and see if it still runs if it doesnt run the u need a new alternater
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 12:45 pm
Although that was a good idea in the days of generators, its not a good idea with alternators. Running alternators without the circuit completed can fry the diodes in a split second.

You can get very inexpensive ammeters that just use inductance to tell you how well the alternator is doing. I got one at Harbor Freight tools for $2.99.
0 Replies