Hey there Smash Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:36 am
Hello, Smash! Feel free to stick around, yourself! Very Happy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 10:24 am
Hi Smach, Yeah, stick around, and Welcome.
0 Replies

Smash

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 12:37 pm
Thanks everyone for the friendly welcome. Don't worry, I think I'll be sticking around for a while in at least some capacity.

Cheers.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 12:50 pm
Hi, Smash. Welcome aboard. Any friend of Cav's is a friend to me!

Just a kind warning, though... Don't venture into politics without steel toed boots. All other locations are pretty much barefoot safe.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 09:25 pm
Love your avatar. Smash! Very Happy
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 03:13 pm
I have been wondering where Cav was...it did not really occur to me that he might have passed during my absence.

I will not forget Cav. From the moment I saw his "eat ****" avatar I could tell he was a guy worth knowing. He was also the first person who I ever conversed with on A2k. I was sharing some poetry, and he gave me some encouraging feedback that I still remember. He said to me:

Quote:
First off, just a tech note...some of the light-coloured fonts, yellow and pale blue in particular, are really hard to read.

Now, on to the writing. I think this was my favorite:

I want a girl that's complicated,
underestimated, pondered, and
heavily debated.
I want a girl that's complicated
in her normalcy, not overrated.

Belated, long awaited, and
intimately un-rated.
I want a girl that's complicated;
sexually, explicitly -
not submissive and outdated.

Maybe it's because it reminds me of my wife, but it's nice work. I like all of it really. Keep writing, and posting.

If it weren't for him, I doubt that I would have returned to post again.

Rest easy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 03:38 pm
It's interesting to see that somebody reactivated this thread. I just returned from a 24-day cruise from BA to Barcelona, and met some Canadians from Toronto. I mentioned to them the fact that Cav catered a special meal for my wife and I when we visited Toronto when we did the trans-Canada train tour in August of 2003. Yes, I still remember Cav, because of his intellect, cooking skills, and humanity. Miss him alot.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 04:38 pm
Cav's brother, mezzie, has been posting on some Japanese translation threads. It's interesting to see his similar, yet very different, style. Obviously has that some light sense of humour.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 05:08 pm
I'll always miss Cav and think of him with tender thoughts. A man with a heart as big as the one Cav sported, is never forgotten.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 05:13 pm
I've gotten to that stage where I can see a thread about cav and look at it with plain enjoyment. I guess I've lost that disbelief that he won't be posting anymore - but I guess I think of him as just being unusally quiet.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 05:13 pm
I'll second that, Montana.
0 Replies

mezzie

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 03:34 am
I love that these threads get revived every once in a while... thanks Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 06:51 am
Mezzie--

We still remember Cav--and always will.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 07:55 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Mezzie--

We still remember Cav--and always will.

Same here; as a matter of fact, I mentioned Cav at our SF gathering last weekend. Yeah, I miss the guy.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 08:58 am
I was thinking about him this past weekend when I was in Canada.
0 Replies

sfmuse

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 05:41 am
More remembrances of Cavfancier
Hello everyone,

I saw that this thread was last revived not *too* long ago. Paul's love is still felt, and that feels so good. Paul touched my life long ago, and through his passing, I've learned, once again, how ridiculously short life is. I'm thrilled to see how many lives Paul touched. Though we had not spoken in so many years, he had and has remained in my heart.

I grieve knowing he left this world all too quickly. The great intermission between birth and death is sometimes awfully bittersweet :-(

Mezzie, though we have never met, I want you to know, when I knew Paul, he spoke of you and your family lovingly. It was humbling, as I had a difficult relationship with mine. In letters Paul wrote to me, he often mentioned you.

My prayers are with you, Paul's wife, and your family. I am SO sorry, and I've been grieving since I found out last week. I keep returning to this site almost daily, to read past posts of Paul's, and I'm finding great solace in the legacy he left, in his posts on a2k, and the many friends he has here, as well.

Your eulogy for Paul brought fresh tears to my eyes, Mezzie. It was simply beautiful, and I'm sure Paul was smiling down on you that day.

Always here for you,
Le Anne in San Francisco
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 06:25 am
Hello, sfmuse & welcome to A2K.

I'm just one of the many here who were privileged to know Cav (Paul) through his presence here. Amazing, you know .... all of those wonderful posts of his that people like you & Cav's family can keep reading .... & in the process, possibly discover some new things about him.

My sympathy to you, having just learned of his death. Yes, way too soon! Sad

Olga
0 Replies

sfmuse

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 02:36 pm
Hi everyone,

If anyone wants to email me(as it seems that I can't get PMs, for some reason), PLEASE do! It's [email protected]

I would love to talk to anyone here about Paul: to share stories, laughter and/or tears. One of the mix tapes Paul compiled for me, he introduced me to a new artist named Fairground Attraction-speaking of which, I've gotta add her to my Itunes playlist!

Here is the song by Fairground Attraction-it's called 'The Moon Is Mine', and it feels so apropos to how I'm feeling:

The Moon Is Mine

no calls, no letters
just fireweeds and stinging nettles
but the moon is mine
yeah the moon is mine

bad news in the papers
bad news for this sinner's wages
but the moon is mine
yeah the moon is mine

skim a stone across the river
throw all my money in the wishing well
I can't afford the cost of living
if the price is living hell

no-one to call me baby no no
no valentines again
but the moon is mine
yeah the moon is mine

no hook to hang my hat on
no rooms for rent today
but the moon is mine
yeah the moon is mine

skim a stone across the river
throw all my money in a wishing well
I can't afford the cost of living
if the price is living hell

I used to believe in a glittering prize
but lately i've seen
that that's just a pillow of lies

and the moon is mine
yeah the moon is mine

that beautiful ball of cheese
is my personal property
the moon is mine
the moon is mine
oh the moon is mine
the moon is... mine

I smile and think of Paul everytime I hear this song..... :-)

"I would like a couch of excellent geometry.
One that holds me up, but doesn't keep my change."
0 Replies