Dumb questions about the US political system.

old europe

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 11:15 am
Lash

I know! It's funny, it's totally different realities! It's not just the registering... It's like everyone has to have an ID card (not just some picture ID, but an official, state issued card... similar to the plastic card in your passport), and, in theory, you have to carry it on you all the time...

We don't really elect the chancellor, we vote for a party, vote them into parliament, and they (usually a coalition) elect the chancellor. Nevertheless, you know what you're getting when you vote for a certain party.

Probably really similar to the system in Oz (never done any research, tough).

However, you could say that you vote for a party and everything they stand for... So the focus is not just on that one person, but also a lot on the party program etc. Which might be a reason why the candidates' private lifes are rarely a topic in the media.

Still, the party being elected and then the chancellor being elected by the party seems to be a valid process to prevent 'every schizophrenic on every street corner' from becoming chancellor, whilst allowing almost anybody to run for office.

Merry Andrew

I think this is why Europeans find it so hard to grasp the whole concept of lobbying, think tanks, the whole dependency thing virtually innate to the presidential system.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 11:21 am
Lash wrote:
old europe--

Interesting about having to register when you move. Here, I think that would be regarded as Big Brother keeping his eye on you. Funny --the things we're used to....

Well, I live in Germany now for some decades: as a German, you don't have to register here, neither when you move or on any ohther occasion:

you are registered once in your lifetime, when you are born or became a citizen.
Otherwise, all is done "automatically".

Perhaps old europe is referring what used to be here the 'registration' at the registry office: that had to be done by each individual when moveng. (Now, it's done by the different registry offices 'online'.)
Electoral offices, tax offices etc get their data from the registry office.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 11:30 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Perhaps old europe is referring what used to be here the 'registration' at the registry office: that had to be done by each individual when moveng. (Now, it's done by the different registry offices 'online'.)
Electoral offices, tax offices etc get their data from the registry office.

I was! Thanks, Walter!!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 03:09 pm
This is a great thread.

Thanks, old europe and Walter for the explanations. Hope others will drop by with some information.

How do they do it is France?

Italy? (I heard they just have a huge foodfight, wrestle in spaghetti and get drunk. When they wake up--it's who has the biggest hat on...)

Greece...?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 03:17 pm
Italy? (I heard they just have a huge foodfight, wrestle in spaghetti and get drunk. When they wake up--it's who has the biggest hat on...)

LOL!!! Smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 03:24 pm
In France, the UK, Italy, and most other European countries - like in Germany - electors must be on the electoral role in their commune of residence and be in full possession of their civic rights, and then they can vote.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 06:33 pm
msolga wrote:
But do you really have to declare who you intend to vote for when you register? That does seem to be an intrusion into privacy rights. And if this is the case, what's the reason for it? What if you're undecided & want to make your decision later, or simply don't want to state your voting intentions? Can you still register?

This would be disturbing to me too, Msolga. Or, it would if I had ever heard of it.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 06:44 pm
roger wrote:
msolga wrote:
But do you really have to declare who you intend to vote for when you register? That does seem to be an intrusion into privacy rights. And if this is the case, what's the reason for it? What if you're undecided & want to make your decision later, or simply don't want to state your voting intentions? Can you still register?

This would be disturbing to me too, Msolga. Or, it would if I had ever heard of it.

Very Happy

Different laws in New Mexico? I am confused!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 07:12 pm
No, Old Europe, not different laws in New Mexico. There is no such law as MsOlga mentions in any state. She was, apparently, thinking of the primary elections in which party candidates are chosen for the general elections. Even in these, one doesn't have to tell anybody for whom they are voting. But, in most states, they do have to indicate which party's ballot they wish to fill out.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 07:15 pm
By the way, Msolga was commenting on Mr Stillwater's statement - just for the record.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 07:20 pm
In the US, the way you register depends on what state you live in. Each state has different voter registration practices.
In Minnesota, you do not have to declare any party affiliation when you register to vote.
In Minnesota, you actually do not have to declare any party affiliation when you vote in the primary election, which is the preliminary election where the nominee of a particular party gets chosen.
So if a person is, let's say, a Democrat, they could vote in the Republican primary. You would have to declare yourself a Republican - but only for that round of elections. The next year, or even the next month for, say, a local election, you could declare yourself a Democrat or Libertarian or whatever primary you wanted to vote in.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 07:25 pm
Wait.... In the primaries the party candidates are chosen... You have to register in order to vote, and, at that time, have to indicate which party's ballot you wish to fill out. Still, you could cross-vote - but only in the presidential elections? And this is different in different states?

And: if you want to vote in the, say, the Democrats primaries on their candidate, but you are registerd Republican because you were registered Republican in the last elections - do you have to get re-registered?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 07:29 pm
ooops.... There's the answer before I could even post the question!

But then....

So if a person is, let's say, a Democrat, they could vote in the Republican primary. You would have to declare yourself a Republican - but only for that round of elections. The next year, or even the next month for, say, a local election, you could declare yourself a Democrat or Libertarian or whatever primary you wanted to vote in.

This means you don't have to re-register, I guess? How is this 'declaring yourself a Republican/Democrat' done?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 07:31 pm
Here's how it works in Massachusetts and, I believe most (not all) other states. To vote in the general election, you don't have to have any party registration. The ballot will, of course, include the candidates of both parties and you can vote for, let's say, a Republican for President, and cast your votes for Senatorial candidates all Democrats. If you wish to vote in the primaries, however, you must declare party affiliation at the time you vote. You are already registered as a voter, but with no party affiliation after your name. Then you are given either a Demovrat or Republican ticket to fill out. Immediately after voting, you can repudiate your party affiliation and revert to being an Independent, which means you favor neither party.

Is that at all clear? Or is it as confusing for you as it is for most people here? Smile
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 07:56 pm
Thanks a lot, Andrew! This was truly enlightening! Idea
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 08:02 pm
In Georgia--

You cannot vote in the opposing party's Primary. The only reason people do this is to screw with the other party's Primary.

Like, being a Republican, if I were mischievious (lol, I would have done this...), and wanted to help my party, I could vote in the Dem Primary (for Dean, this last go 'round, fer sher!)

We can vote locally for Democrats with no problem. (I have.) If you want to vote for the opposing party in the National--you have to do it badly enough to register.

It is confusing a bit, eh?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 08:23 pm
Well, my head is spinning for sure.

Thanks folks. Wonderfully thoughtful and informative answers.

Has a president ever thrown over their party in office and run free, as it were, or changed sides?

That is interesting, whoever made the comment about party voting in other countries making candidates' private lives less important - I wonder if that IS a factor?

To our eyes, the almost always needing to be rich thing in order to stand for president thing IS concerning. Personal wealth is no factor here.

Was Dean's campaign different because he wasn't personally rich? I know it was said to be different because of the grassroot's nature.

When was the last poor person elected president - or shouls I say non-wealthy - (I KNOW it is an opinion matter - but you know what I mean)

You must register to vote here if you wish to vote. It is not compulsory to do so - but once you have, there is a tiny fine ($10 the time I forgot to do so!!!) if you do not do so.

If you move, you are likely to fall off the rolls if you do not notify them that you have moved.

Here - every voter's name is on the electoral role - which is a publicly available document - unless you can prove it is personally dangerous for you to be there. You most certainly DO NOT register party.

Thanks again folks!

New dumb question:

Electing judges is odd to our eyes - what do you think is the effect of this practice upon the quality and objectivity of the judiciary? (Especially given that the judiciary are enormously more involved in your political system)

Electing the DA (I assume this is like the head of our department of public prosecutions?) - again, what effect do you think this practice has?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 03:30 am
dlowan wrote:
Stilly - I really hope this thread won't turn into a "your system sucks, ours is better" thing. I really hope just to gain information - and mebbe share a bit.

Moi? Say something like that? No, no, I protest!!

So...... how about those Knicks*?

*small talk. See? I can show restraint.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 03:31 am
Phew...

Well done, li'l puppy.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 03:39 am
dlowan wrote:
Phew...

Well done, li'l puppy.

I'll gloss over that little 'pat on the head' there coz I am in deep mourning over the loss of Hunter S Thompson.

I will, however, point out that if we do go down the route of having a popularly elected President as a republic we'll have to wear some of this madness. The only benefit would be that our figurehead would probably be more ceremonial, and have little real clout. Either that or we have to put up with the first-born son of the Queen and the Royal Floozey on a regular basis. The humanity!!!!
0 Replies