Tartare Recipes

Sugar

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 04:56 pm
Raw meat is from heaven!!!!

I have this every chance I get in restaurants and I have a fabulous friend that has made this for me....mmmmmmmm....

I've always been afraid to attempt steak or tuna tartare. Maybe I'll screw something up and make everyone sick! I don't mind being my own guinea pig though.

So, any recipes for steak or tuna tartare and accompaniments? Or should I just leave it to the pros?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,823 • Replies: 13
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 05:22 pm
Ooh, I used to get from Not Your Average Joe's (until the dang restaurant stopped making it) a thick tuna steak that was seared very lightly (it was practically raw), served with wasabi mixed with a little caviar. It was unbelievable.

Shniff, I miss it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 05:26 pm
My dad just visited and cooked for us, and made blackened salmon steaks. Just slapped on some cajun spices (we get a mix from a cool local spice shop) and put the whole thing in the pan, no oil (which my poor, poor pan did NOT like -- I'm still scrubbing it), and cooked it about 2-3 minutes on each side. I was terrified to eat it (seared outside, raw inside), but it really was good, and I'm still alive, 3 days after the fact. (I cooked the sozlet's all the way through, and that was pretty good, too, but I admit the tartare-ish one was tastier.)
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 06:19 pm
Raw Meat from Heaven?

Is that called "E. coli heaven"?
0 Replies

Sublime

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 09:51 pm
Sugar, I would be very particular if I were going to try this. A butcher or fish market you trust would be of the highest order.

I have had a seared, spiced mahi-mahi steak with pineapple salsa that was very good. But I don't know how many times I would eat raw meat. My medium rare steaks are as close as I can get. Smile
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 09:54 pm
bookmarking. will add hawaiian style raw fish dishes later.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 09:15 am
I had tunasteaks the other night, sushiquality, and I tried some of it raw, liked it, and my guests also had a bite of it. Delicious!! All four of us are still alive and kicking!

Steak tartare (4 small servings as appetizers)

A pound of prime filet of beef
1 onion
A healthy shot of whisky ( for the steak! not for the cook!)
Red beet, fresh is preffered, but out of glass is ok.
salt, freshground pepper.
1 eggyolk per serving

If you don't have a meatgrinder at home ( who's got one nowadays, anyway?), have your butcher grind it for you. Cut the onion in very fine dices, cut the red beet (on separate plastic cutting board) in fine stripes, or the fashion that you fancy. Form four patties of the ground steak, each on it's own plate, and garnish with the onion, beet, and the eggyolk. Glass with whisky on the side. Now, this is the fun part; each to his own taste, mix ingriedients and douse with a dash of the whisky, add salt and pepper... Excellent!

This recipe is being used in a hotel in Gothenburg, where I used to work, and as far as I know, noone's gotten ill by this! I love it!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 11:57 am
bigdice, that looks fabulous!
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 09:02 am
It is, it is!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 09:58 pm
As long it is top quality and fresh, raw meat or fish is fine. One restaurant I worked at served a salmon tartare, which I chopped up diligently by hand. With the finely chopped salmon we added some chopped coriander, finely diced shallot and ginger, and a touch of soy sauce and sesame oil. The recipe also worked great for tuna tartare. It was mostly done to taste, so sadly, you will have to experiment a bit with the ingredients to find your favorite flavour profile. Sad We served it with a bit of mixed greens and sesame flatbread, and wasabi and pickled ginger.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 10:01 pm
I have also done slices of raw sea bass in a light pickle, inspired by a Mexican recipe...more of a vinaigrette style recipe than a true ceviche...I will dig it up...also works nicely with cooked octopus.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 04:15 am
we had octopus carpaccio a couple a weeks ago on the menu, was bloody excellent!!!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 03:02 pm
bigdice, how does that octopus carpaccio work? Most octopus we get here, even if labelled fresh is previously frozen...uggh...cooks well, but would not want to serve it raw or in a ceviche...curious though about the preparation Smile
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 09:23 am
We had fresh octopus, or polipo in italian, that we cooked and kind of stuffed it in a ziploc bag. Thus it became a round form, like a ball. Deepfreezed it, I think, to make it easier to cut in thin slices. like filetcarpaccio. The slices were put on a plate, and then sprinkled with oliveoil and lemonjuice, excellent!
0 Replies