Wine Is Good

JLNobody

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 04:57 pm
I just love the idea of home-made table red wines (vinos tinto). LittleK, the "Big House Red" wine you mention doesn't sound like a very sophisticated experience--that's why I'm interested. Where do you buy it? I've never seen it, but I'm anxious to try it.
Sober but eager JLN
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 05:04 pm
Big House Red. I'm going to look for a bottle of that right now.

Ciao, tutti!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 05:12 pm
Big House Red is made by my buddy Randall Graham at Bonny Doon Winery just down the road a piece. Actually, he doesn't know me from grappa, but I've met him a couple times. Eccentric winemaker known as the leader of the "Rhone rangers", who make Rhone style wines in California. A trip to the winery is truly a trip, where often stoned surfer chicks and dudes pour from a huge variety of wines made on premises.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 07:20 pm
I've met some sophisticated people. I've not improved...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 07:24 pm
Osso, you're fine as you are. Any more sophistication and you would probably be depressed. Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 09:59 pm
That's about right.
0 Replies

Waldo2

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 01:33 pm
Hello all.

I'm new to the site and very new to this particular board. However, I work as a wine salesman and I've been dedicating myself to Italian wine lately.

First of all, I think kicky is embarking on a really fun journey. Italian wine is interesting, varied, and rewarding.

I utilize ItalianMade.com as a resource for learning about Italian wines. It doesn't offer any brand names, just styles and classifications. This site includes a map, which is uber-helpful. It also has a listing of all the DOCG, DOC, and IGT wines of Italy.

I'd summarize the highlights, but ossobucco has already done that, so I'll just quote:
Quote:
Good reds, from Piemonte, are Barolo, Dolcetto, Nebbiolo, with Barolo being the serious contender. [add barbaresco and barbera]
Good reds from Tuscany are Brunellos from Montalcino area, and Vino nobile di Montipulciano, plus many historic Chianti mixes from the vineyards of Antinori and others, plus new super tuscans, primo mixes of, I think, sangiovese and cabernet. [add rosso di montalcino and rosso di montepulciano]
There are some reasonably priced delicious chiantis, I'll try to remember some and be back later.

I'd add valpolicella, especially the ripasso/a style. The word superiore is also an indicator that you have found a better than average bottle. Amarone is a unique Italian wine made from partially dried fruit. It's worth a try, as is Aglianico--which is grown in the South (Pulia and Campania).

That's a good start. Osso also recommended producers such as Gaja and Antinori. (Piedmont and Tuscany respectively).

Okay, now for a quick soapbox moment about sweet wines.

There is nothing at all wrong with drinking a sweet wine. Do you eat dessert? Is there something about "sweet-ness" that makes a thing undesireable?

Icewine, Moscato, Sauternes, and many fine Rieslings are examples of sweet wines of great quality. Many Italian wines are made in the Recioto style, including some red wines. The sweet French wine called Y'quem can be cellared for 50 years or more. It scores perfect ratings with greater regularity than any Premier Cru Bordeaux red.

The general public believes that they like bone-dry wines, but evidence shows that they select wines that are sweeter. There is a stigma regarding sweet wines, and it should not hinder you from drinking what you like.

Oh, by the way... the Moscato di Asti that kicky bought is one of only 30 DOCG appellations in Italy. In other words, that sweet wine carries a higher classification than literally hundreds of other (drier) wines.

It's okay not to like sweet wine, just so long as it's not because you feel socially bullied into discrediting all sweet wines.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 02:01 pm
Agree...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 06:19 pm
Waldo! Where have you been? <couldn't help myself>

Thanks for the rundown on Italian wines.....

JLN - sorry I didn't get back to you about where to buy it - I wouldn't know what to tell you anyway. Did you ever find it?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 08:28 pm
LittleK, I got distracted and forgot to look for BigHouseRed. Thanks for the reminder.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 09:22 pm
I found BigHouseRed. Good stuff.

Hey, Waldo, thanks for the great information!

I went to one liquor store a couple weeks ago and they told me the best way to do it is to go by region, and or type. He recommended I buy wines from Tuscany, for example, and just concentrate on different vintages and/or brands until I get an idea what it is I like.

I haven't gotten any wine for a couple weeks though, but now that this thread has been revived, it's got my interest revived too. This weekend I am going to buy something new to try.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 02:37 am
kickycan wrote:
This weekend I am going to buy something new to try.

Errr............... wine usually is in a bottle-shape and doesn't require long-life batteries, but hey, new experiences are good experiences!!
0 Replies