What Is the Real Message of Yellow Ribbons on Cars?

DrewDad

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 02:56 pm
Commentary from NPR.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4498757

All Things Considered, February 14, 2005 ยท Commentator Bob Sommer's son has just returned from a year in Iraq and knows intimately what it means to support our troops. But he finds yellow ribbon magnets on cars with the message "Support Our Troops" off-putting.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 812 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 02:59 pm
What does he say? I can't listen to it at work.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 03:05 pm
My hubby and I have one because his brother and one of his friends is in the military. I support them; not the war. None of those ribbons say "Support the War!"
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 03:06 pm
Off-putting in my opinion is an understatement.
I too can not listen to the clip.. but i have an opinion on those cursed stupid stickers...

People buy these things and put them on thier cars claiming they are patriotic and supporting thier troops.
uh.. how is putting a sticker on your car supporting anyone?
You know what it does?
First step, you have just increased the amount of profits the store you bought the sticker from higher.
Second step, you have just given your money to the person who holds the patent on the sticker design.
third step , you have helped to pay for production costs OF that sticker..

and you have done what for the troops?

Laughing oh yeah, you put a sticker on your car.
Jeessssseee . how can i forget that.
That sticker has gone no where. Done nothing for anyone. It is a fad.
There are a few people who actually DO THINGS to support troops. ( Donations, cash or other wise, volunteer at organizations that DIRECTLY effect the supplies the troops get.. etc etc.. ) To those people I do apologize and send a great big thanks!
For the rest of the shallow patriots in america that think they can just slap a sticker on thier car and have it make them a supporter of thier troops... thank you all for making someone else rich and not helping a single person.

> GROWWWWWL<
I hate those stickers.. : x
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 03:10 pm
oh yeah, and saying ( YOU ) isnt applying to anyone in particular..
im
just
VENTING...

growwwllllllll

I have a cousin in the marines who has been in and out of Iraq 3 times in the past few years and has actually had to rely on donations.. ( of wich there were few ) to get his basic needs met at times.
If people woulndt put that 5 bucks on thier cars , and put it twords a donation or SOMETHING.. people wouldnt be in prediciments that my cousin was in,

but.
im just biased.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 03:19 pm
I guess really, I put it there so every time I go to my car, I am reminded of the people I love who are risking their lives every day. It is more of a reminder to me than a "status symbol". In the hustle and bustle of every day busy busy, sometimes we need a small reminder of the things that really matter.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 03:21 pm
I kinda get this guy's take on it.

link - great falls
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 03:27 pm
there are some people though who dont even think about WHY they are putting these things on thier cars.
It is just that..
a status symbol, a small flag to a small clique..
I see it in my neighborhood alot and it sickens me .
To take something that should be a symbol of help, trust, and remembarance, and turn it into a snobby ' hollow patriot' clique just burns my fur.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 03:32 pm
I hear ya. It's like anything else trendy. I got mine when my BIL left.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 03:49 pm
I like the magnetic ribbons, but I don't think it means you care more because you sport one. I felt the same way about all the other ribbons that have been donned over the years. Wearing a ribbon does not mean you care more about whatever the particular cause is. In this case, the yellow ribbons that show support of the troops are great, but does not mean the owner of that car is more patriotic or supportive of the troops than someone who doesn't sport one.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 03:58 pm
This is a problem for people?

Until you interview each and every single person that has placed a yellow ribbon on their car, I prefer you kept the pre-judgements to yourself. No one gives a crap if they garner approval for what they put on their cars. They have their own reasons and the should be enough for anyone else.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 04:06 pm
Anyone around during the Vietnam War will recall how flag decals played the role of those yellow ribbons now. Of course, it all became mashed up so that having a flag decal meant you supported the war.

John Prine had a great song about it. The chorus went:

But your flag decal won't get you
Into Heaven any more.
They're already overcrowded
From your dirty little war.

Now Jesus don't like killin'
No matter what the reason's for,
And your flag decal won't get you
Into Heaven any more.

(The song was meant as satire, for those who lack a sense of dark humor...)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 04:09 pm
You're judging the same way as everyone else, McG, when you say no one cares if they garner approval for what they put on their cars.

"Honk if you love/hate X" might suggest otherwise. Or perhaps not.

My little magnetic American flag will never go on my car. I had enough trouble with the small American flag I used to have on my porch. I don't need my car whacked. My yellow ribbon is still outside, tied to the handle of something, so no one but me knows what it's about.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 04:46 pm
Not my car, not in space, not my problem.

I worry far more about 12 year olds in t-shirts that announce, "I'm a hottie" than I do about mass-produced "individual" statements stuck to cars.

A man's home is his castle and in the same spirit, his car is his coach and four.
0 Replies