Which items should astronauts bring with them to Mars?

BillW

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2020 12:35 pm
@Sturgis,
Durian - the fruit of tigers!
https://media.istockphoto.com/photos/durian-riped-and-fresh-durian-peel-with-yellow-colour-on-wooden-table-picture-id1011283080
farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2020 05:25 pm
@BillW,
ahhh the fragrant cross of a vanilla custard and propionic bacteria from used gym socks
BillW

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2020 05:42 pm
@farmerman,
.....and, taste of rotten meatšŸ˜µ
farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2020 11:09 pm
@BillW,
I tried it once at a Taipei night market and I recall a sweet custard taste after the Limburgercheesy and ammoniacal smells
BillW

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2020 09:09 am
@farmerman,
Yeah, I've.tried it.just.once myself. Can't say what it taste like, except custardy, couldn't get past the smell. You are correct though, it doesn't taste like it smells. I've heard it is either sweet or bitter. Have a feeling mine was the bitter one!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2020 10:25 am
@farmerman,
Limburger cheese is something Iā€™ve only heard of on American television.

We have a smelly cheese called Stinking Bishop, and Camembert can be a bit whiffy too.
BillW

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2020 10:41 am
@izzythepush,
Funny, I love all the stinky cheeses, camembert - I love the custurdy texture!

Maybe by bringing all these stinky foods it will help build an atmosphere faster?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2020 10:59 am
@BillW,
Stinking Bishop is quite mild tasting, youā€™d think it would be strong, but itā€™s about as strong as a medium cheddar.

Itā€™s not a cheese you see on the shelves, itā€™s the sort of thing you have to ask at at the Delhi counter.

Having said that I get mine from a cheese stall at Wimborne Market in Dorset.
BillW

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2020 11:07 am
@izzythepush,
I would love to try some, cheeses are a favorite of mine!
izzythepush

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2020 11:27 am
@BillW,
I live near to Somerset, home of Cheddar and the cheese of the same name. Most of the cheese I eat is cheddar, thereā€™s a bloke at the market in Frome who sells huge slabs of really good mature cheddar tor Ā£10. Thatā€™s about a quarter of the price in Supermarkets.

Iā€™ve decided to go for Shropshire blue as the blue cheese on the cheeseboard, itā€™s similar to Stilton but milder and tangier. Thatā€™s the blue Iā€™d recommend.
BillW

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2020 11:32 am
@izzythepush,
I'm going to need to do a good cheese testing, soon! I love to go through all the range of flavors at the same sitting. Mixing and matching - BTW, our "normal" cheese is cheddar also!
farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2020 11:39 am
@BillW,
ASIAGO (aged).

Remember CHEDDAR is a verb
farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2020 11:42 am
@farmerman,
TO CHEDDAR:
Quote:
Cheddaring. Cheddaring is a unique process in making Cheddar cheese that involves stacking "loaves" of curd on top of one another in order to squeeze additional whey out of the loaves below. It is a multi-step process that reduces whey content, adjusts acidity, adds characteristic flavour, and results in a denser and sometimes crumbly texture
izzythepush

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2020 12:05 pm
@BillW,
We donā€™t get much American cheese over here. Some supermarkets stock Canadian cheddar and some do Monterrey Jack, but thatā€™s about it.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2020 12:12 pm
@farmerman,
The process originated in Cheddar, in Somerset. Itā€™s also the home of Cheddar Gorge and caves. The authentic Cheddar Cheddar is matured in Cheddar caves and sold in gift shops at exorbitant prices.

Cheddar is quite a reasonable place to visit, but the price of the cheese is an exception. Itā€™s about twice the price of supermarket cheddar and is not different from other decent cheddars, and there are a lot in Somerset. Especially as about fifteen miles down the road thereā€™s Frome market.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2020 12:21 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

We donā€™t get much American cheese over here. Some supermarkets stock Canadian cheddar and some do Monterrey Jack, but thatā€™s about it.

I definitely wouldn't go to England to get Longhorn (Colby) cheddar, but I would go to Savings, Oklahoma to get it. It is a good, mild cheese. Love the cheese curds!

My family grew up on it, in fact, we called it "Rat Cheese"! Why? It is the cheese we put in the mouse trapsšŸ˜
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 May, 2021 12:41 pm
All this cheese talk. I'll need to bring lots of rats. Lots and lots.
cherrie

Reply Sat 15 May, 2021 06:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
NOOO!!!

Please don't bring rats. Sad
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 May, 2021 06:17 pm
@cherrie,
Well -- All ri---ght.
cherrie

Reply Sat 15 May, 2021 08:03 pm
@edgarblythe,