Selective law enforcement

au1929

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 10:06 am
U.S. Crackdown Sets Off Unusual Rush to Canada

By SUSAN SACHS

[]BURLINGTON, Vt., Feb. 21 — Once Jalil Mirza decided to leave the United States to avoid possible deportation, nothing happened quite as he expected, not even good-bye.
As did hundreds of other Pakistanis fleeing a post-9/11 crackdown on illegal immigrants, Mr. Mirza quit his job, packed up his possessions and headed north rather than face a forced return to Pakistan.
After a 16-hour bus ride from Virginia with his wife and seven children, he arrived at the Canadian border, hoping to take advantage of Canada's political asylum law.
But besieged Canadian officials told him to come back in two weeks. And when he dragged their suitcases back to the American side, United States immigration agents promptly arrested him and his two teenage sons, leaving the rest of the family wailing in despair in the icy cold.

I read this article with mixed emotions. Legally these people have committed and illegal act and are in violation of the law. They had been however aided and abetted by the US government whose lax law enforcement had allowed them and the many millions of illegal aliens to remain in the US. Many of those fleeing are hard working, at this point I will call the Americans whose children are American citizens by virtue of being born in the US. They have developed strong ties within the US.
Is it time for the US to revisit their rules and add a little humanity?
I should note that if it is a question of law breaking than the millions of illegal aliens in the US no matter where they are from should also be registering and facing deportation. Comments?

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/25/national/25DETA.html?th
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,359 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 10:30 am
Enforcement of our immigration laws has always been a blunt weapon, only now, unfortunately, it's being wielded with a vengeance...
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 10:35 am
D'artagnan

IMO it is time we put a point on it.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 11:12 am
Or put it back in its scabbard until we figure out how to use it intelligently...
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 11:28 am
Well, deportation of the illegal immigrants is done to protect the domestic labor market. These people agree to get wages lower than minimum, thus decreasing chances of the U.S. citizens and legal immigrants to find job. Besides this, the illegal immigrants have not undergone any security screening, and terrorists may be among them. These people breached the law, therefore the treatment that they get cannot be called humane; but it is perfectly legal, though.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 11:44 am
With all due respect, steissd, many of these illegal aliens are employed by US business people who are well aware of their status. The situation is a bit complicated in this country...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 11:54 am
steissd, at least the area of the USA that i know would economically shut down or be severely curtailed without illegal alien labor.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 01:39 pm
The answer, then, is to permit more legal workers, not to ignore or reward the illegals. Does that make sense?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 01:52 pm
I do not justify businessmen that employ people wihtout valid work permission. IMHO, they should be severely fined, thus taking from them profits resulting from employing ultra-cheap labor.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 02:04 pm
roger, of course
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 02:47 pm
Roger
That's logical so how can we expect it to happen. The solution is to turn a blind eye and reward criminal activity.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 02:51 pm
we had here in the southwest the bracero program that gave mexican workers a work permit for designated periods of time,usually 6 months and were renewable each year. it worked quite well.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 02:56 pm
dyslexia, your about to get a new program as soon as Mexico signs onto Prop 1441b.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 03:36 pm
Living not too far from the Mexican border, I have witnessed up close and real friendly the hypocrisy of our immigrations laws. What it comes down to is that business people who need/want cheap labor pressure Congress to pressure the INS to ease up. Simple as that. We positively and officially encourage illegal immigration because it serves us well. The place to start in tightening the laws and ensuring enforcement is not with the "illegals" themselves but with those who depend on their labor. It's as well to keep in mind, also, that a stable Mexico is very much in our interest and that remittences -- legal and illegal -- have kept that country's economy alive for years.

I live in a prosperous community which is, so far, largely unaffected by recession. Many businesses are still desperate for employees -- there are more jobs than people to work.

I think fixed term work permits makes great sense.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 12:59 am
Seems we still have an anthrax terrorist in the USA that can't be caught - hmmmmmmmmmmm! Selective law inforcement?
0 Replies