The beginning of the end

JTT

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 07:27 am
http://americablog.blogspot.com/2005/02/man-called-jeff.html

A man called Jeff
by John in DC - 2/14/2005 02:30:00 PM

So in the end, why does this matter? Why does it matter that Jeff Gannon may have been a gay hooker named James Guckert with a $20,000 defaulted court judgment against him? So he somehow got a job lobbing softball questions to the White House. Big deal. If he was already a prostitute, why not be one in the White House briefing room as well?

This is the Conservative Republican Bush White House we're talking about. It's looking increasingly like they made a decision to allow a hooker to ask the President of the United States questions. They made a decision to give a man with an alias and no journalistic experience access to the West Wing of the White House on a "daily basis." They reportedly made a decision to give him - one of only six - access to documents, or information in those documents, that exposed a clandestine CIA operative.

None of this is by accident.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,212 • Replies: 24
No top replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 07:54 am
http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/graphics/helenthomas_badass.jpg

It all evens out in the end.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 07:59 am
JW, I don't see how you can compare...

Anyway, regarding the CIA leaks:

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-usleak0216,0,2896504.story?coll=ny-top-headlines

Reporters must testify in CIA leak probe

BY TOM BRUNE
WASHINGTON BUREAU

February 16, 2005

WASHINGTON -- A U.S. appeals court ruled Tuesday that two reporters must testify before a federal grand jury about their confidential sources in a probe trying to determine who in the Bush administration leaked the identity of a covert CIA officer.

In an expected ruling, a three-judge panel of the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals unanimously upheld a lower court ruling that held in contempt Matthew Cooper of Time magazine and Judith Miller of The New York Times for refusing to testify.

Time and the Times Tuesday said they would appeal the decision to the full circuit and possibly the Supreme Court, and would seek a stay to keep the reporters out of jail.

The publications had tried to quash the subpoenas based on the First Amendment and reporters' privilege to protect confidential sources under federal common law, which is based on practice than on statutes. In October, District Judge Thomas Hogan ruled against them.

"We agree with the District Court that there is no First Amendment privilege protecting the evidence sought," Circuit Judge David B. Sentelle wrote in the majority opinion. "We further conclude that if any such common law privilege exists, it is not absolute" he wrote.

The decision prompted calls from Floyd Abrams, attorney for both reporters, and groups such as Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, for Congress to enact a federal shield law to permit reporters to protect confidential sources.

Special Counsel Patrick Fitzgerald, the U.S. Attorney in Chicago, has made the fight to force testimony from the reporters a well-publicized step in his otherwise secretive 14-month investigation.

"We look forward to resuming our progress in this investigation and bringing it to a prompt conclusion," he said.

The investigation seeks to determine who leaked the identity of covert CIA operative Valerie Plame to columnist Robert Novak in an apparent attempt to discredit her husband. Disclosing the identity of a covert intelligence official is a crime.

Plame's husband, Joseph C. Wilson IV, had written that there was no basis to the president's claim that Iraq had sought to buy uranium from Niger and that act was a reason to attack Iraq.

Cooper, a White House correspondent, contributed to two articles in July 2003 about the leak. He agreed to limited testimony for one subpoena, but balked at a second, broader one.

"In the United States, no journalist should have to go to jail simply for doing his or her job," said Norman Pearlstine, Time's editor-in-chief.

Miller, an investigative reporter, reported but never published a story about the leak.

"If Judy is sent to jail for not revealing her confidential sources for an article that was never published, it would create a dangerous precedent that would erode the freedom of the press," said Times Publisher Arthur Sulzberger Jr.

In a concurring opinion, Judge David S. Tatel wrote that reporters enjoy a common law privilege but that Fitzgerald had overcome it in secret filings with Hogan to support the case he needs the testimony.

"While requiring Cooper to testify may discourage future leaks, discouraging leaks of this kind is precisely what the public interest requires," he wrote.
Copyright © 2005, Newsday, Inc.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 08:01 am
Of course you don't. You'd have to resign your charter membership in the "Blame America First" club in order to see it.

I won't hold my breath LOL.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 08:02 am
http://www.strangepolitics.com/images/content/3394.jpg
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 08:45 am
JustWonders wrote:
Of course you don't. You'd have to resign your charter membership in the "Blame America First" club in order to see it.

I won't hold my breath LOL.

original reply JW, how long did it take to think it up?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 09:23 am
I'm confused. Is JustWonders suggesting that Helen Thomas is a gay hooker?

If so, then PLEASE don't copy-and-paste those pictures.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 09:26 am
http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/graphics/helenthomas_zombie.jpg
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 11:45 am
I love it when the neocons have no defense to actions taken by their leaders! Forcing them to post silly, meaningless cut & past pics is hilarious to watch. Haven't seen any reasonable defense offered all week!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 03:53 pm
squinney wrote:
I love it when the neocons have no defense to actions taken by their leaders! Forcing them to post silly, meaningless cut & past pics is hilarious to watch. Haven't seen any reasonable defense offered all week!

I thought you quit A2K?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 03:59 pm
Can anyone explain to me how Novak seems to be skating while other reporters may be about to go to jail?

If memory serves, he's the one who "outed" Ms. Plame...
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 04:46 pm
I think the reporters are called to testify, I don't believe that they are charged with a crime unless they don't testify. But it's not over yet.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 04:05 am
squinney:-

Hardly hilarious.More tiresome I would have said.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 04:13 am
It's wonderful how easily we can get steered off topic.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 10:57 pm
No kidding.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/user-posts?id=113711

Read some of his posts over at Freeperville. Scary stuff. Here's an example that I know you'll love:

Quote:

Revelations about 60 Minutes Producer Mary Mapes

Posted by Jeff Gannon to NavyCanDo
On News/Activism 09/10/2004 3:55:04 PM PDT · 10 of 43

Mary Mapes is DEFINITELY behind the story, this is who I told Sean Hannity got the documents. She also obtained the Abu Ghraib photos.

Here's another juicy one:

Quote:
Chorus Gets Louder for Gorelick Testimony

Posted by Jeff Gannon to mcshot
On News/Activism 04/29/2004 2:40:05 PM PDT · 30 of 34

From today's WH briefing:

JEFF GANNON, TALON NEWS: Some Republicans on Capitol Hill believe that the work of the 9/11 Commission won't be complete until and unless Jamie Gorelick testifies
before the commission on her role in building the wall between intelligence and law enforcement. Is that an opinion shared by the White House?

MR. McCLELLAN: Look, the President -- I think even at the beginning of the meeting, he made some brief remarks. He didn't have a prepared opening statement or anything like that, but certainly made some opening remarks at the beginning. And, essentially, I think he thanked them for the work that they're doing, talked about how he appreciated what they were doing and that their work is very important to what we -- what we are doing to protect the American people.

And I think that the President looks at this and doesn't believe there ought to be finger-pointing. We ought to all be working together to learn the lessons of September 11th and make sure that we are doing everything that we can to protect the homeland and win the war on terrorism. That's the way -- that's the way he looks at it.

JEFF GANNON, TALON NEWS: Well, the Justice Department keeps releasing documents. They released another -- they declassified 30 pages yesterday that reinforce the idea that Commissioner Gorelick has more that she could offer to --

MR. McCLELLAN: I understand that's what the Justice Department did. We were not involved in it. I think the President was disappointed about that.

Quote:

Plame's Input Is Cited on Niger Mission (Joe Wilson lied about EVERYTHING)

Posted by Jeff Gannon to Maigrey
On News/Activism 07/10/2004 10:21:23 AM PDT · 108 of 451

The truth will set you free! I point you to the WashPo story from Dec 26, 2003 that says the CIA is upset with me for talking about a document they say is a forgery (when they are not denying that it exists) that details EXACTLY what the Senate Intel Committee says.

Plame got him the job and the White House didn't know they were sending him - otherwise they would have nixed it knowing that Wilson was anti-war.

The sweet taste of vindication.

He's got his fingers in a lot of pies.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 11:01 pm
Recycled from another thread but this obviously proves that recycling has great value.

H.L. Mencken: "The most common of all follies is to believe passionately in the palpably not true. It's the chief occupation of humankind."

Could a quote be anymore dead on when it comes to Republicans and GWB OR Faux News and its loyal listeners?
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 12:04 am
The collective mind of the neoconservative movement has been further demonstrated by the likes of JW. Of course, this is no surprise whatsoever. Reaching doesn't even come close to describing the lunacy of JW and his insistence on posting nonsense in the face of Bush administration BS.

These fascists are unraveled. It is truly the beginning of the end.

Speaking of lunacy, here's Charlie Jarvis trying to explain this:

http://www.crooksandliars.com/images/2005/02/21/aarp%20attack%20ad....jpg

http://movies.ziaspace.com/Inside%20Politics--3.wmv

Truly unbelievable.

Too bad the Cato institute is totally in Bush's pocket regarding his destruction of SS. But at least they recognize sleazy campaign tactics when they see them. Let's see how honest these boneheads can be.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 11:07 pm
Who's gonna be the next shill installed at the WH; Bill O'Lielly, Ann can't seem to get her facts right Coulter, or maybe Rush Bombast Limbaugh?

Laughing
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 03:25 am
Breaking news ... this just in from the White House - Scott McClellan said in an address just minutes ago that though their minor league "journalist" had been sent to the bush leagues, they would definitely hold a seat for him while he goes back to finish his journalism degree.

When told of the incredible speed that Jeff/Jim studies [a weekend in two or so years] and that he should be done, sometime in the next century, McClellan replied; "That's just fine. If that's what it takes to keep the White House press corp at its finest, then so be it.

In other news, Bobby Eberle has closed down his Talon News but has just announced the formation of the New Conservative/Republican School of Hackery.

Laughing
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 07:41 am
JTT wrote:
Who's gonna be the next shill installed at the WH; Bill O'Lielly, Ann can't seem to get her facts right Coulter, or maybe Rush Bombast Limbaugh?

Laughing

Nah, they're all too famous, have too much visibility. A shill has to be someone that nobody knows, someone who looks like a legitimate journalist from a legitimate medium, e.g. a wire service. O'Reilly or Coulter would be expected to ask the idiotic things and nobody would pay any attention. You need someone who looks like he might be a stringer for the Podunk Daily Promulgator.
0 Replies