Who killed Toys 'R' Us

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 05:59 pm
@maporsche,
I don't think they are all bad. I have heard of Apple buying out smaller companies, and Apple has a stellar reputation.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 06:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I pointed out two that went bad. The thread is not intended to be about every leveraged buyout.
maporsche

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 08:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
Maybe that’s not what you intended, but threads evolve. I thought I asked some pretty good questions.
roger

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 08:42 pm
@maporsche,
I may be straying from the topic too, but I don't shop internet for price. It's because I can find what I want, and usually more than one of them. Locally, the sales people don't have even a vague idea of their own stock, and often repeat what I ask for really slowly - as if they are sure I'm making something up for my own amusement. My latest online buy was for neat's-foot oil. I tried a sporting goods store. She said it real slow and when I explained it's purpose suggested a local shoe store. At least there, the lady had some idea of what I was asking for. She suggested Sportsman's Warehouse. It's on it's way from Amazon right now.
maporsche

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 08:47 pm
@roger,
I hear you. I grew up in a tiny rural town in a Washington state. I had about 3 stores to shop at for things like clothes and electronics (the biggest of which being a Fred Meyer about 90 minutes away). The internet and Amazon would have changed my life in high school.

Everything in the world at your fingertips, and at your house in 2 days. Brick & mortor isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 08:49 pm
My mom and aunts and grandma still love in that tiny town. The internet and amazon have opened up markets/products to them that they’d never had the faintest idea that existed before.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 08:57 pm
@roger,
Are you a slave to brands? I'm one of those shoppers who check out what I want on the internet for "best quality" based on consumer polls. I've been pretty happy with that process. My last search was for spray can rug cleaners. I got oxyclean and Woolite carpet and upholstery cleaners. I tried them on my carpet today, but I'm not totally satisfied with the results.
roger

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 09:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Brands? Not generally. Clothing yes. Otherwise, I usually go by the number of reviews and overall ratings. If there are only 5 or 6 reviews on Amazon, I tend to disregard them. If there are several hundred with a net rating of 4 1/2 stars, I'm good to order.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 09:37 pm
I don't mind if people stray from the main topic. I do it myself. I just didn't want to be dragged into a discussion on leveraged buyouts beyond my original posts. Anybody else up for it, fine with me.
maporsche

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 09:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
I’ve learned by now that it’s impossible to get you to discuss something with any sense of nuance or depth in your own words. Maybe there’s a video or something you could post to answer my question. Maybe you’ll just put me on ignore again to make life better for you.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2018 01:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
That doesn't mean that the leveraged buyout caused the failure of Toys R US. I was pointing out what the video failed to mention, Toys R Us was already on the downhill slid when the buyout took place and would have failed 10 years ago if not for the buy out. They were already in debt due to bad business decisions and competition they couldn't beat.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2018 03:13 pm
@Baldimo,
They had no chance of recovery once the buyout occurred.
0 Replies