FUNNY, INSPIRING, LOVED & LOATHED TV MOTHERS

sozobe

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 11:10 am
littlek beat me to Malcolm's mom. I LOVE her. I watched it before and during pregnancy and was convinced I would end up having several boys since I identified with her so much. Very Happy Given the recent "If they were girls..." fantasy episode, I'm not sure I actually came out ahead... Shocked

I suppose George's mom on Seinfeld should fall in the cringe category, but I love her, too. And Jerry's mom reminded me SO much of my own grandma...

I like Sharon Osbourne, too.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 12:21 pm
Oh, I wish I saw that episode....
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 12:56 pm
Which TV mum did you wish was yours when you were growing up?: Morticia Addams (but I wouldn't like Pugsley and Wednesday as bro and sis).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 12:33 am
http://www.szeps.com/m_s.html
0 Replies

dlk33

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 05:00 am
sozobe,
why do you like Sharon Osborne?
She has plenty of dysfunction to deal with, much of which I believe she has caused in her family, especially the constant problem of the potty mouth, not to mention how spoiled she has allowed those children to be.
At first I got a kick out of watching that family, but then it upset me to realize it was actually reality.
I'm sure glad I've been a better role model then she's been.
Maybe I should see if I can get our family on T.V. Naw, that would be too boring. Smile
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 12:05 pm
dlk
I think Sharon is a riot, but she's not even close to as funny as Ozzy is, lol. I think most parents are better role models as they are, at least I hope so.
0 Replies

dlk33

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 12:43 pm
gezzy,
Who can even understand what Ozzy's saying? I'm not sure he even knows what planet he's on anymore.
Just say NO to drugs Laughing
(Ozzy is a great example of what happens when you say YES to drugs)
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 01:03 pm
dlk
I can pretty much understand him and I can't help but think he's funny. Sharon and Ozzy might be way over the top, but they do love their kids more than life.
0 Replies

edithdoll

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2003 11:23 am
Hello all -- I had to think about this one a bit.
From Classic TV -- I would have to say Lucy Ricardo just because she would always have some kind of chaos going on along with wonderful music. And cool extended family with Ethel and Fred. Life would never be dull, that's for sure. At least while they lived in New York, I don't know about that whole move to the Connecticut suburbs...

Other picks would be: Mrs. Muir from the Ghost & Mrs. Muir, the TV show spun off from the movie and book. Nothing spooked her obviously.

From the 1970's and 80's -- Alice from the TV show, again a spin off of the movie, etc. I know the TV show was much lighter, but I growing up watching the Alice character as a working mom made me appreciate to this day, how hard waitresses work, and they always seemed to be putting on a show or a wedding in Mel's diner. Again, cool extended family with Flo, etc.

I also would say Florida from Good Times, just an amazing strong, female, maternal character. She always amazed me.

Also either Kate or Alli, very cool, single New York moms, or Mrs. Keaton from Family Ties, former hippy, laid back, etc.

In absentia of a formal TV mother, than Mrs. Garrett from The Facts of Life, despite the annoying voice -- Very understanding, beyond belief, i.e. only on TV.

I can't think of any from the 90's or the 00's right now. Actually, I think we've gone downhill with positive portrayals of mother figures both traditional and single moms, etc.
0 Replies