Will Moviepass Bring You Back to the Movie Theater?

maporsche

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 08:32 pm
@oralloy,
If that’s true then it’s definitely not a good movie.
oralloy

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 09:09 pm
@maporsche,
Not all movies are good in the same way.

70MM IMAX provides a stunning picture that can't be equaled. The screen is gigantic in both height and width.

And to put the resolution in a bit of context, the highest resolution digital projector today is 4K.

70MM IMAX has the equivalent of 18K resolution.

Seeing the movie without that stunning picture would just be wrong.

Interstellar, The Dark Knight, and The Dark Knight Rises are all acknowledged to be very good movies. But in those cases too, the step down from 70MM IMAX is such a great loss that they as well should only ever be seen in 70MM IMAX.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2018 02:34 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
They used real Spitfires
maybe on about 2/3 of the scenes and the statics. There are the cgi sequences (especially the end scenes which ARE cgi, the scene was amateurish).

I start with the story. I loved the"Darkest Hour", really well acted and it grabbed me to see what Dunkirk could have possibly become with a Parliamentary system had Churchill not been the man.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 2 May, 2018 03:43 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
oralloy wrote:
there are real 4K movies too.

very very few.

Every 35mm movie made before 2000 can be had in true 4K. All they need to do is scan it at 4K resolution.

In the early 2000s they started using 2K digital intermediates, so there a number of post-2000 movies that will never be available in true 4K. It is noteworthy that the first two Harry Potter movies are available in 4K and the subsequent ones are not. Modern movies will only be available in 4K if they are done on a 4K digital intermediate.

However, the entire body of films from before 2000 is a sizable library to choose from. And plenty of modern movies are being made using a 4K digital intermediate as well.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2019 06:43 am
A mildly depressing update, 1+ years later:
Moviepass has terminal cancer. Constantly slipping in and out of coma.
MoviePass temporarily shuts down service to work on its app
https://i.imgur.com/AXiVjYw.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2019 10:21 am
@tsarstepan,
More good news from MoviePass!
MoviePass admits to exposing users' personal information, debit card numbers online
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2019 11:54 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

NOTHING can sub for a really good story.

Unless it's a comedy. Hellzapoppin' hasn't got much of a story but it's still very funny even today. I remember really laughing about Stinky Miller as a kid .
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2019 11:58 am
The last thing I saw at the cinema was a live streaming of the RSC's Measure for Measure.

It was really good.

I go to the cinema a lot, my youngest is autistic so I get in free as his carer. Unfortunately it means that most of the films I watch are for kids, although that is changing.

I tell a lie, I saw Measure for Measure a few weeks ago, but just last weekend I saw The Horrible Histories Movie.

It was alright, but I laughed more at the Shakespeare.
0 Replies