Will Moviepass Bring You Back to the Movie Theater?

oralloy

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2018 05:17 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
If that all you desire i a huge cartoon(which much f unkirk was).

If it wasn't the sort of movie for you, then it wasn't the sort of movie for you. But that doesn't make it a bad movie. It just means it wasn't your sort of movie.

Although since you never saw the real movie, you can't really say that you wouldn't have liked it.

farmerman wrote:
to end it with that cartoon spitfire which was worswe than the Japanese Godzillas of the 50;s and 60'

They used real Spitfires.
maporsche

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2018 05:19 pm
I get that many people enjoy the IMAX and Dolby Atmos stuff.

It doesn't really float my boat. I see probably 30-50 movies a year in the theater and I'd say around 5% of them are in anything greater than a standard theater. If I see a movie in anything more expensive, it's usually because of scheduling. I'd rather enjoy these larger/grander movies the quietness of my living room on my OLED TV than I would paying $25 for some ticket where I have to hear the crackle of candy, the talking, and the bright screens of cell phones during the whole thing. Now, I'll pay $10 and deal with all that (or in the case of moviepass $10/mo).

I seem to enjoy the movies just fine.
oralloy

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2018 05:21 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
You are easily impressed by visual and audio gizmos, I am not

How exactly is medium format film on a giant screen a gizmo?

What does it have to do with audio at all?

And since you never saw it, you can't really say that you wouldn't have liked it.
oralloy

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2018 05:34 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
I get that many people enjoy the IMAX and Dolby Atmos stuff.

IMAX can mean different things.

A) 70mm IMAX (only four movies: Dark Knight, Dark Knight Rises, Interstellar, Dunkirk)

B) Laser IMAX (when playing a 4K version of a movie)

C) Digital IMAX (Liemax)

"A" and "B" are amazing.

"C" sucks.

maporsche wrote:
It doesn't really float my boat.

Have you ever tried 70mm IMAX or Laser IMAX or Dolby Atmos?

You might find that you like it.
farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2018 05:40 pm
@oralloy,
I have a 4K tv, for which they are making almost NOTHING.

Ive tried the LAser Imax but the show was more a Nat Geo special about the Appalachians from New Brunsxick to Georgia. It was a gorgeous bit of a travelogue. But I knew what to expect. I was, however, totally repused at the STORY an ACTING CONTENT of Dunkirk, as well as the cartoonish special effects( which of course I assumed was CGI but couldnt swear on it, what else would that last scene with the oog spitfire be? It was NOT a real scene except for a few seconds where the Spitfire of the" Confederate Air Force must have been used(or the UK version thereof)
farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2018 05:44 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
And since you never saw it,
I did see it but not in your fav flavor. Im telling you that no matter how high the resolution and nearly equivalent the sound repro, THE CONTENT OF THE MOVIE does not allow the effects to carry it through.

The entire movie was dumb, dumbly done, and poorly edited, badly scripted and the story a mess.
maporsche

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2018 05:47 pm
@oralloy,
I’ve done all the theater types Oralloy. My statement and opinion remains unchanged.

I don’t dislike it mind you. It’s just not worth the cost to me.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2018 06:35 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I have a 4K tv, for which they are making almost NOTHING.

Movies are released on 4K discs. Some of them are just enlarged 2K movies, but there are real 4K movies too.

You can get good info on which movies are true 4K at this site:
http://realorfake4k.com/list/

You can rent 4K discs from "3D-BlurayRental". They are like the old pre-download Netflix, where you get a disc in the mail then send it back in a special return envelope when you are done and they send you the next one. Even though they have 3D in their name, they have branched out to include 4K discs as well.
oralloy

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2018 06:38 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I did see it but not in your fav flavor.

If you didn't see it in 70MM IMAX, you didn't see the real movie.

farmerman wrote:
Im telling you that no matter how high the resolution and nearly equivalent the sound repro, THE CONTENT OF THE MOVIE does not allow the effects to carry it through.

You don't know that because you never saw the effects.
farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2018 10:56 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
If you didn't see it in 70MM IMAX, you didn't see the real movie.
special effects add a flavor to the movie for me. They arent the entire reason for me to go see the flick. The other stuff was so badly done that the spin about the film was more pity for a guys whose been passed over sor some other not so great films.

farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2018 11:00 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
there are real 4K movies too.
\very very few.
oralloy

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2018 11:03 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
special effects add a flavor to the movie for me. They arent the entire reason for me to go see the flick.

I'm not sure that the use of medium format film counts as a special effect. But if you don't care about the breathtaking picture, than this just wasn't your sort of film.

farmerman wrote:
The other stuff was so badly done that the spin about the film was more pity for a guys whose been passed over sor some other not so great films.

No. The stunning pictures really were amazing. The reviewers got that exactly right.

Inception, the Batman trilogy, and Interstellar were not so great films?

I'm not really into Batman but I'm not so arrogant as to say the Batman trilogy weren't great films just because they aren't my kind of film.
oralloy

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2018 11:07 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
very very few.

Looks like there are plenty of 4K releases out there to me.

I'm planning to see Star Wars/Solo on a 70 foot screen with dual 4K projectors and Dolby Atmos sound.
maporsche

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 12:27 am
@oralloy,
And I’ll be watching it on a standard theater and I’ll probably have to get up and pee halfway through.
oralloy

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 12:48 am
@maporsche,
I don't drink any liquids for a number of hours before going to a movie, then I pee at the theater just before going into the show.

At the theater I buy mouthwateringly intense candy to combat thirst throughout the movie. No drinks and no popcorn or anything else that would make me more thirsty.

It works well for me. Although I usually make a long stop at the drinking fountain immediately after the movie is over.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 05:34 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

I'm not sure that the use of medium format film counts as a special effect
Maybe its my avocation as an artist that makes me severely critical of a bunch a professionals who **** up scenes with poor renderings as green screen and CGI shots and sequences. You ought to go and rent the film and watch it again. You can get a "libretto" of the picture in th "scene selection" in special features . I always go back to them for really great movies where the CGI has fit seamlessly with the movie. Several of the scenes (specially the last cene of the lone Spitfire coasting to capture) was so damn amateurish, they coulda left it storyboarded and the point would have gotten across. You dint notice that it ws a bad cartoon??

Interstellar did have pretty good effects and got separated from that 1950's scaling look. My problem was that the story was pretty much telegraphed and was kinda derivative (I was looking for more from this AND the Martian), but I was disappointed (It was an E R Burroughs updated)
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 06:43 am
maporsche

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 06:58 am
@tsarstepan,
I figured when I signed up that this deal was way too good to be true. I planned on just riding it out as long as I could. I’ve seen I think 16 movies in the last 4-5 months. 16 movies for $50 bucks is a pretty good deal.

I’d still keep it if it went to 4 movies a month. That’s 4 movies for less than the price of 1. No brainer right there.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 07:12 am
@maporsche,
I think anyone who has the current plan of unlimited movies will be protected from being converted to 1 movie per week. If you cancelled your account then returned at a later date? You would only be allowed to enter the 1 movie a week subscription.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 06:24 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
You ought to go and rent the film and watch it again.

There's no point in seeing it if it isn't being played in 70mm IMAX.