Need good toy ideas for bean

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 11:16 am
Bean will be a year old pretty soon, and time for an age appropriate ' toy overhaul'.
The toys she likes now are things she can ' do stuff with'. One of her favorites is the Leggo Littlehands bucket. It is basically leggo toys that are oversized and rounded. Instead of having small attachment pieces like the regular ones, these are big and easy to put together. The top of the bucket has holes for the diffrent shapes and sizes of the leggos so she can put them in accordingly.
Another favorite of hers is a keyboard that goes either on the ground or in her crib. Since I dont use toys in her crib...it stays on the ground. hehe.
But it is strong enough for her to stamp on, crawl over and beat on. It plays diffrent songs, notes or animal sounds.
I dont want to flood her with toys. But it is time to look to diffrent styles of toys.
I went shopping for ideas for her at toys are us and a few other places and i was overwhelmed.
This toy over her sang, and this one crawled, and this one rolled around, and this one talked, and this one lit up and that one was scary, and that one was too loud and these were EXPENCIVE!!!!!!! >sigh<

Any REAL LIFE experience with toys right now would be wonderful.
As I stay at home with her all the time, my goal for toys are teaching tools. Blocks, puzzles, books that have 'feely things' or sounds are great. She thinks so too. :-)

What was it that stuck out to your child at the age of 1 that was a favorite?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,470 • Replies: 12
No top replies

JPB

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 11:45 am
wooden letter blocks and a stacking rings on a peg thing. K loved to stack things (my plastics cupboard was also one of her favorite places to pull everything out of and then stack everything back in). Every time she saw the stacking rings she would pull them all off (the yellow one was her favorite) and put them back on, over and over and over.

By the time she was two (maybe a few months earliers) she would stand at the kitchen sink and 'wash' her dishes. Water play was very big. She had a lot of play kitchenware, and of course she washed all the stuff from my plastics cupboard.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 12:09 pm
Hmmm... by 2 years old i will have a dishwasher???? ha!
that could be grand!
I already have one of the pegs with the rings, she likes to chew the rings, but not much else.
Plastic bowls.. hmmm... THAT is a great idea. She loves to put things inside of something, then spill them out.
hmmm..Plastic bowls + small blocks. she just might LOVE that
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 10:02 am
I'm a big fan of the Melissa and Doug line. They have some wooden puzzle boards that my kids liked a lot. Sadly, I'm having trouble remembering what my kids were doing at 1 year.

But hands down, the best thing I ever bought my kids was a sand and water table (for outside, of course). They spent, literally, 3 to 4 hours a day just playing in the dirt and the water. And they never got tired of it. Bean might be a bit young for that now, but keep it in mind for later.

How about ride on toys?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 10:37 am
I just remembered something that both girls LOVED at one. We had a grocery cart that they used as they were just starting to walk. They would go all over the room putting things in the grocery cart and taking them out, putting them somewhere else. I never knew where I would find my coasters. Books I had put on the end table would be on the coffee table. They each spent a long time doing that. Sand and water toys is another great idea.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 10:51 am
I'm having a hard time remembering, too.

I think it was about then that she got her Fisher Price farm, which she STILL plays with. Was her absolute favorite toy for a long time. Just the plain one, though they also have ones that make animal noises and stuff.

Oh, I think stacking cups was around then. It's 12 (?) cups that can stack on top of each other -- she also used them in the bathtub. But she just loved stacking them, knocking them down, stacking them, knocking them down...

I went looking for an example (haven't found one yet) and remembered that I really liked the "Sassy" brand for her at that age. Examples here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/551564/ref=tr_22301/103-7329768-1226235
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 11:12 am
Ya-ya loves her Little People house.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:26 am
I found the perfect toy for her!!! ::

http://img238.exs.cx/img238/9161/MVC-020S.jpg

It is a blow up ball pin.
The bottom holds the balls, has a blow up post in the middle for rings, and the top is either a basketball like hoop, or, you can close the velcro trap door and put all the balls on the top, open it underneath and have a shower of plastic balls fall all over ya.
She is in LOVE with this.
She can climb in and out, throw the balls around her room ( they are the thin plastic balls like you find in the mcdonalds play lands ) , toss them in the top of it or just bounce around on the edge.

Granted, she is very tall for it :
http://img210.exs.cx/img210/3615/1stbirthdaytoy83tl.jpg

but it is a perfect size for her.

http://img210.exs.cx/img210/103/1stbirthdaytoy157xu.jpg

I found it at Toys r Us for 20 bucks.
It was recommended for kids 1 1/2 & up, but I can not see WHY!.
We bought it the day before and when she was sleeping me and Mr Wolf played on it. Laughing LITERALLY! We wanted to test its safety, strength etc..
Between him and I that thing help up well! I even tried bitting a hole in this thing Embarrassed because Bean loves to bite small things... I COULD NOT get a hole in it. I was amazed!
It was a very good choice. I would say it is a great toy for any kid her age. It makes a great climbing toy, ball pins are always a favorite for kids, and the hoop at the top gives them something to satisfy thier throwing need with.

I love it!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:46 am
cool, almost makes me wish I had small kids again.

Errr, maybe not.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:18 am
That indeed is a great play thing (whatever it's called).
In the summer time you could put it outside and fill
it with water.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:40 am
I love the toys and philosophy of Waldorf education:

http://www.waldorf-toys.com/english.htm

edited because I can't spell.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:43 am
it wont hold water in the bottom.
It has small holes just SO it doesnt hold water . The holes provide a stress relief for weight transferring..
I wish it DID hold water. That would be a perfect toy!

awww.. come on j-b.. you KNOW you want more kids..
How's about 5 more? All at once? ;-)
0 Replies

eco488

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 12:25 am
wow she's really cute!want to have a baby girl!! As im looking at your new toy my son ask me to buy one for him also...but i think he's too big for that. nyway,the best toy that i gave him when he was about 9mon. old is a hard bound books(colors,shapes,numbers),i was very amazed that he can recognized the colors,shapes $ pets already by 1year though he cant say it clearly. now, at 5 ,he top on his class and already knows how to read. So,with a brand new toy , i would suggest books is your next gift for pretty bean.
0 Replies