Help needed on artist jobs

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 12:04 am
I graduated from an art college w/ a BA in "illustration"... i mostly focused mainly on editorial illustration(magazine art, book covers, etc)

but i actually do not work in editorial illustration because it is 99% freelance. And i want to work in a company.

So i am currently building up, on my own... and entertainment (character design) portfolio.

But, i am also thinking... perhaps i do not know many fields of art that i am capable of.

I really really like hand-on physical painting, and hand-on digital painting.. My dream job ever would be a painting restorer (to fix old master paintings! oh the greatness!!), but i have never even seen any offers on something remotely similiar to that profession.... probably because the demand is so low.

So for other visual arts.. what could my other choices be? Other than character design???

for stuff like product design (toys, packages), or graphic design... would i need to make a new portfolio for a presentation???

Also, so far... i've only tried to look for jobs through newspapers and monster.com... what other alternatives are there to search for a job?

I know i sound like a total retard... its because i've been pampered untill i graduated college.. and now im LOST, help.

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,119 • Replies: 16
No top replies

material girl

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 05:13 am
Its probably better to contact the restoring companies themselves,let them know your interested and ask them to keep your details on file for future jobs or at least work experience.
Jobs like that probably wont be advertised in job papers.For actors ther eis a specific newspaper called The Stage, maybe there is an equivalent for illustrators.
Id try to contact illustrating companies.Contact Disney/The Simpsons creators etc(sorry, Im not up on cartoons)its all worth a go.Just email and ask if they have any jobs or can they advise you on how to get your foot in the door.
Places like Industrial Light and Magic(Stars Wars workshops)need scene illustrators.They have a storyboard showing how the scenes are gona look so illustrators are needed for that.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 06:37 am
Does your college have a vocational office? They might have some suggestions.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 10:19 am
Don't know where you're located or where you'd like to live, but Hallmark hires lots of illustrators at their headquarters in Kansas City.
0 Replies

bubbleme80

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 03:13 am
im located in Los Angeles, California.

i recently started going to a community college class to learn Maya. But i still do love traditional illustion very much. it is just that i have no idea who would hire an illustrator. lol
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 09:01 am
Children's books?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 09:49 am
I don't know if something like this will help but it might give you some ideas--

I have a book called "Illustration Index" that I bought a few years ago. It has wonderful illustrations and each design lists the client that it was done for.

One of the names I saw over and over was "Artbank Illustration Library" and I went looking and found this: http://www.theaoi.com/Mambo/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=267

and this: http://www.artbank.com/homepage.php

I know its not a company job like you were really wanting but you never know where such things might lead!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 09:59 am
Oh!

Have you considered comic books or graphic novels?

I had a friend who wrote indie-comics and used an illustrator.

I read an article recently about how music clubs are reviving the lost art of the cool promotional poster from the 60s and 70s. Those always featured cool illustrations.

I have a friend in nursing school and her texts are full of elaborate illustrations.

Do you do Manga? That is very popular right now.
0 Replies

bubbleme80

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 01:08 pm
ah.. i am not interested in manga at all, but graphic novels i am interested.

does anyone know how to get into graphic novels?

actually.. for those who hold a profession. How did you get your jobs? through news papers? online? recommendations from friends?

i think my problem is not knowing how to find a job/ and what kind of jobs there are.

Thank you all for helping.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 09:13 am
I thought of you, bubbleme, when I read this article in my daily paper: http://www.oregonlive.com/artsandevents/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/entertainment/1108732952202430.xml

I wish the online article had the paper's photos to go along with it -- some wonderful illustration.

One thing the article mentions that I hadn't thought about is storyboarding. Storyboarding is not just used by movie makers but also by advertising agencies - something to think about.

I'm a photographer. Portraits, mostly. I have my own studio now but how I got there was by taking any and every photo job someone was willing to pay me for - pictures of smashed up cars for attorneys - pictures of houses and bumper stickers and other artifacts for jury consutlants - pictures of buildings slated for renewal - if someone needed a photo I was their girl and I worked for cheap just to be able to work doing what I loved, even when I hated some of the jobs I was hired to do.

It's called "paying your dues" and that is the best advice I can give anyone trying to break into the commercial art world. Bust your chops, work on your portfolio, build your reputation and doors will start to open. If you sit around waiting for your genius to be discovered you can end up waiting tables for the rest of your life.
0 Replies

abe froman

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 07:23 am
I totally feel your pain graduated with a BA of arts I love photoshop and illustrator and dont want to hear the words QUARK and InDesign!!!!!!!!!! Graphic Design is too stressful for artists (only my opinoin). I am lookin for the same thing here is a place to upload your images for some cash stock visuals I'm tryin it right now it takes like two weeks for a board to review your stuff but then it's on. Also, i'm searchin real ard for some greeting cards and book cover jobs. It sucks, what did we go to school for, it get so irratating sometimes.... "starving artists"
0 Replies

bubbleme80

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 05:09 am
Hey abe_froman..

I gave up on traditional illustration. It just wasn't working out. But I made couple things in Maya, hopefully I can get a job.

I've been offered jobs and they are not so well-paying. But I really thank you for Stockvisual info. I'll try there.

Edit [Moderator]: Link removed
0 Replies

MartiniTime

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 05:53 pm
If you are interested in illustrating for graphic novels, unfortunately, there is nothing really full time unless you are getting your own graphic novels published, or someone writing the novels has decided that they want your style to cover all of their work. You can go to just about any comic book website such as DC or Marvel, or perhaps a better fit might be Fantagraphics if you really want to be into graphic novels. If your websearch for submissions and graphic novels, you will get a ton of contact information on the web, and be more likely to hear about a place that you have a good feeling about. I have an acquaintance who started freelancing for Image, Darkhorse, and many other independent companies and is now working full time on Ghost Rider for Marvel. He is making very decant money, and he has the freedom of setting his own hours. It all takes work, though, so do some introspection and decide what you really want. It's worth it.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 10:08 pm
Artists can make just about anything except a living!
0 Replies

abe froman

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:22 pm
thats the greatest thing ive ever heard!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 07:59 pm
If interested in painting conservation, retouch, etc., think the DaVinci School in Florence, Italy. This is a small school, but with an excellent reputation. Most of their graduates are fully employed before graduation. I sent a niece to study there, and in her first summer after enrollement she was offered a job with one of the leading art restoration firms in Italy and an "internship" helping to restore ancient Buddhist murals in some backwater of Nepal.

Art restoration is a limited niche, but the number of qualified people to work on priceless old masterworks is even smaller. Become qualified and experienced and you should never worry again about employment.

Getting into DaVinci isn't all that hard either. It does cost a bit. Almost the entire curriculum is in Italian, but they also have classes to help student become fluent in the language. To be a student in Italy also requires jumping through some hoops with the Italian government, who don't want a country filled with impoverished "students" who seldom attend classes.

In this country, a degree from RISD is also virtually a guarantee of employment. Getting into illustrating children's books is very difficult unless you are already established ... and that is like trying out for the L.A. Lakers. Good luck, but it does happen.

The trouble with making a good living and career out Art is that there is an army of very talented people competing for a very small number of jobs. That keeps turnover rates low, even though the wages are often little better than minimum wage. Marry a rich patron of the arts, make a killing in the stock markety, or get a civil service job (keep your day job), and paint on your own time. With a bit of luck and presistence you might eventually be able to sell enough to go full-time. Good luck, but it happens. I've been painting for most of my life, and the total earnings from my art is less than I earned in a single month working for the government. Now I'm retired and can spend as much time as I like doing what I like and it works well for me personally.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 08:24 pm
If you are serious about learning fine art restoration the place to go is NYU in NYC. Warning - it's as much chemistry as art.
0 Replies