WOULD YOU RATHER BE ONSTAGE OR BACKSTAGE?

patiodog

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 09:59 pm
And yet, without the actors...
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 10:07 pm
That's true, pdog. Without the actors, it would be at best a pretty light show. And without the audience, it's just a dress rehearsal.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 10:17 pm
And if it's a matinee, it's a wet tech.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 10:38 pm
Wet blanket here. I was married to a playwright, who was a fairly quiet, observant person. I have had countless mfa in theater folks over to my house for dinner and endless, endless!, hours, wee hours of the night hours, of selfinvolved talk.. (I suppose there are a few that can be quiet while another speaks, but ...)

I have my own family history in the movie business and am not by nature opposed to acting and theater (loved the movie Moliere), but I am now close to repelled by theatricality.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 10:39 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 10:48 pm
Nothing wrong with wet tech. Smile Nothing wrong with having actors either, I just like the tech stuff more.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 10:57 pm
Quote:
I have my own family history in the movie business and am not by nature opposed to acting and theater (loved the movie Moliere), but I am now close to repelled by theatricality.

That -- and a pronounced lack of talent both in myself and others -- turned me off to the business. I hope I'm not too wrapped up in the week or so I spent as an MFA student...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 11:15 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 07:45 pm
If you think that acting on stage is scary, try strandup comedy. Thanks to several methods that every actor should have learned in Acting 101, stage fright is no longer a problem. For some reason,I have no fear doing stand-up at clubs but I still get a twinge of nervousness performing exercises for my theatre group.
0 Replies

MollyR

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 01:17 am
Love the stage!
Well, I have always preferred on stage more. Just recently I have tried to become a well rounded theatre girl, so I tried my hand at being a techie. Ahhh! I was freaking out. I did lights for a show and I never want to do it again. I was so stressed out. But on the other hand I think it is good for us big headed actors to work in all areas of the stage to have an appreciation for the art.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 01:32 am
I answer late, but from the beginning question -- and it is hard to answer that. I'd rather direct the performance, and I would have written the play...

j
0 Replies

smog

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 01:37 am
Oh, how I love bumped threads!

I've been in more pit orchestras than casts, so I guess the "light booth" option is my closest choice. Although, I agree with osso, writing the play would be my favorite option.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 09:59 am
I love bumped threads too, smog. Smile

Sorry I didn't offer directing and writing as options. They are important too!

Welcome Molly. I think it's funny that running the lightboard was more stressful than acting for you. I found the added stress of having to care how I looked and having people watching me to make acting not worth the trouble...
0 Replies

BlossomAmbition

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 10:28 pm
Onstage is really fun!! Well, um, if you have your lines all memorized and are ready.. teehe, er, i guess unless you're doing improve. But I really like being in the audience too!!! I love watching shows!!!!!!! Oh, how magical.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 11:44 pm
Okay, all you guys, go break a leg. Wink Met a couple (Ralph and Gert) on the Trans-Atlantic cruise last month who knew those guys from the tv show, Route 66. They used to spend a lot of time at their home. Anyway, Gert used to also be an opera star. I also met Lindsay Hamilton who performed for one show during our ten day cruise. She's been in such shows as Les Miz and Avata in London. She also said she might join our a2k group in London on April 30 and/or May 1 at the ye olde Cheshire Cheese. I hope she comes. She's a fantastic singer; she's also performed at the Victoria and Albert Hall.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 08:20 pm
Welcome, Blossom. I wasn't familiar with Improv (as in Improvised) theatre in high school until one of my employees mentioned that he was into it. Regularly scheduled competitions. You'll have to explain how the rules work.
Anyway, I saw him and three of his friends in a skit called "Dip Ahead." Four kids, two in the front seats of an imaginary car and two in the back, leaning over, carrying on this bizarre teen-speak conversation. each one totally in character: the jock, the cheerleader...
It ended with a punch-line that was completely unexpected and funny. Really, really funny.
I wish I'd had that opportunity in high school.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 08:24 pm
I'm a center stage guy....probably to no ones surprise...
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:36 pm
I've done sets for community plays and also
been on stage.....both rewarding but
centre stage wins by a whisker!
0 Replies

Emilie

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 06:32 pm
I love being in the spotlight! I think it's much more fun and you can communicate with the audiene much more and use all of the stage to and props to help you. It's exiting to act, sing, dance or whatever and know that people are noticing you, (either that or I love being centre of attention!) Very Happy
0 Replies

kslater89

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 09:10 am
well... as much as i love being on stage and performing... auditions scare the crap out of me... I'm so afraid that im gonna not hit the note wrong, or that my pitch is gonna be totally off... (most of the plays im involved in are musicals).... but without that being a factor i luv directing and producing and being back stage... i've been stage manager for my last two productions: Holiday Souveniers, and Guys and Dolls (we had over 15 performances) and i loved it... i dont know what it is but seeing actors on stage and knowing that i pretty much ran tho show... is like the greatest feeling... I can actually see my hardwork pay off to where on stage... if something goes wrong... it will be remembered forever...
0 Replies