WOULD YOU RATHER BE ONSTAGE OR BACKSTAGE?

williamhenry3

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 11:00 pm
Throughout most of my life, theatre has been a passion. My first stage performance was at age 5. I have since then been a part of the cast of numerous plays and have directed, also.

Now, I'm a bit decrepit (severe osteoarthritis), and it probably would be unwise to cast someone who is apt to stumble at any moment.

Besides the acting and the directing, I have done almost every backstage job: from publicity to stage managing.

Everything I have ever done for theatre has been a thrill. There are no small parts, but a lot of small people. I would do anything needed to mount the current production.

So, my love of the theatre is a love of a group of people who come together and create a play. Whatever the critical outcome of the show, it is people backstage and onstage who are a team for the edification of the audience.

And, the bittersweetness of a show's closing night has always been poignant to me. That's because never again will this same group of people ALL work together on another show. There will, of course, be other productions, but on closing night the bond of those who have labored on the show will never be as close.

For me, that blank space between the audience and the players on the stage is where theatre happens. Each person will have a different viewpoint of the show, but each is better for having participated.

"Mad, sire? Ah yes, mad, indeed! But observe how they do light up the sky." [/b]
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 11:33 pm
Back in the late fifties, when I was stationed at Walker AFB in Roswell, New Mexico, I belonged to the little theater group. Did all the grunt work, but never acted or did anything like directing or managing. Helped build sets, worked the curtains, the lights, and sound system. We did the Caine Mutiny and some comedies. We also sponsored the Miss New Mexico Pageant. It was alot of fun, and still have good memories of it. ** I'm going to join the London Group for this year's A2K meeting, and I've made reservations to see Bombay Dreams, and working to make reservations for We Will Rock You. I love the theater. My childhood friend, Sab Shimono, is an actor, and he's been in many movies and t.v. shows. He was the kamikaze pilot in Midway, the movie. When he was in San Jose to do a show recently, my wife and I had lunch with him. c.i.
0 Replies

trixabell

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 07:58 am
onstage, centre stage, always....has to be dun...would pine away into nothingness if i couldnt make a prat of myself 24/7...and believe me - tis wot i do....hurrah...only 17 tho...god nos y im trogging around on here....so i figure in the future im not gonna b doin so much theatre *sniff* tisnt good...will pine...hehe.....bored, hence writing random posts on random sites to amuse myself...going now....bye -xxx-

(love and jellytots)
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 07:59 am
Welcome, trixabelle! I hope you always find a way to do theatre!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 09:05 am
Today's answer is: "It depends on the script."
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 09:45 am
Excellent answer! Very Happy
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 07:05 pm
I've done both, all through elementary school, highschool and now at college. Last play I worked on was Harold and Maude, our closing night was last night(!)...this time I was backstage, one of the ones in charge of props, and generally helping out where I could. I can safely say it was one of the best times I've had. In Highschool, while not on stage, I was in charge of make-up, and for one show I was the dialoge coach. I'm probably going to go for a stage role in our next play, and I'm planning to hopefully write/direct a play after that. So, I see the fun from all angles, and completly agree with what's been said in favour of both!

And I love to watch, too!
0 Replies

CHRISTYG2003

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
I absolutely LOVE being on stage!!!!!!! I have been acting (intermittenly) since I was 8 years old-my first role was as "Mr Curry" in a school adaptation of a Paddington Bear story- and I've never yet been on stage and not enjoyed being there!!!!!! I've never had a "backstage" role (as I'm disabled I don't think there's that many things I could do) I just love the feeling of getting excited/nervous, pacing up and down just before your first entrance, then going on, facing the audience, delivering your lines, then coming off, and then-my favourite bit- savouring that deliccious post-performance "buzz"!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
Welcome to A2K, ChristyG. You obviously get a charge out of performing! Very Happy
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 02:52 am
I'm a drummer and I'm on stage quite a bit. I love it, there is nothing quite like the buzz you get from doing the business on stage.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 09:18 pm
Having spent my life doing theatre(as an educator and director), it was wonderful reading all the respect, joy, and understanding of theatre. Not only of the actors and tech people, but also the crucial role of the audience.

Thanks to everyone for your appreciative comments. You made my year!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 06:36 am
never ever could teachers persuade me to go onstage! Shocked sheer terror! I hate to have all eyes turned towards me even now. I don't like to walk into a crowded bar alone to meet friends - I'd rather meet outside and walk in together.

Being an artist has an audience - but they are looking at your work, not you. I can cope with that.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 09:55 am
If I had the nerve, onstage. But I don't so, backstage. Like Vivien, being an artist has an audience but they're looking at your work and not you.
Last week I saw a small production based on the life of Mahalia Jackson, the famed gospel singer. The actor portraying Mahalia was on stage 100% of the time. To me, that takes an incredible amount of courage.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 10:32 am
eoe, where did you see that production? or do you recall the name of the actress? I worked with a woman who was doing a one-woman show about Hattie McDaniel for several years. Her first name is Carla, but I can't think of her last name. She'd be perfect for Mahalia Jackson, so I wonder if that was her.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 10:41 am
I spent my working life in film and television as a film editor. Great fun it was and I had staff working me. So I was a backroom guy.
But Marlene Dietrich did sing a song about back room guys -------
"See What The Boys In the Backroom Will Have" in the movie, Destry Rides Again
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 10:42 am
Mac, Bernadine Mitchell, a well-known actor and singer in the Atlanta area, played Mahalia Jackson. She was magnificent.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 10:43 am
Glad to hear it. I'm sure it was a wonderful show.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 11:47 am
bree wrote:
I'm a highly skilled member of the audience. (That isn't entirely a joke -- being a good audience member requires skills, like courtesy and attentiveness, that a lot of people who go to the theatre these days don't seem to have.) And, while the role of audience member has (or should have) no lines, I like to think of it as serving a godlike kind of function: unless we're watching, what the actors do is meaningless.

It's not a joke at all. Once I was attending a performance at the Hollywood Bowl. An ensemble was playing The Brandenberg Concerto.
They played for a while and then stopped. Many people applauded, got up and started to leave including the people I was with!. Well, I'm not an expert in classical music, but I knew this peice was alot longer than that!
(It's a top 40 hit of classical music after all). "Err, um I think that was just the first movement", I muttered. (But, hey what did I know) The people sheepishly sat down again. I'm sure it was embarrasing for them! I didn't know them very well, I was just along for the ride. LOL
0 Replies

kerver

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 08:18 pm
I would definatly be on stage, I've had a few experiences, there's nothing like it.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 09:52 pm
Back stage, no question - the actors only worry about themselves, really. They concentrate on themselves during rehearsals, the audience watches them onstage, the applause is directed specifically at them, and so are the honors. But a play is more than the actors - they're just the upper crust. Working backstage, it's not about you, specifically - you work for everyone, you oversee everything, you worry about everything. Being a board op or a stage manager isn't just a way to create or develope yourself - you get to create this whole other thing that's an entity in itself. A much greater success, I think.
0 Replies