Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 07:30 pm
The only one who deserve my respect is
Nelson Mandela
who had wasted his life behind the bar and got elected for
one Euro a month's wage.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 08:44 am
I donĀ“t know too much about Nelson Mandela, but I have never heard he was working as a bartender behind the bar.
I know he was in prison for years.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 11:17 am
Five politicians.....
I agree with most of you.
John F Kennedy for what he stood for at that time
Reagan for helping the east block to fall
The Hungarian foreign minister Gyula Horn for his courage when people from fled East Germany
Helmut Kohl was not a bad politician either

Olof Palme is not even on my list - one of the most hated in Sweden not only by the opposition. One of many rumours after his death was"Better die as a hero than to end up in prison" - he was under suspect for spying for Moscow.

The Pope is not a politician.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 11:39 am
Behind he bar is an old english expression which means inside the prison.
Nothing to do with cocktail nor nor any legal bar association.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 12:16 pm
Behind the Bar - sing. is the profession of Barrister - a laywer in a higher court Written with capital B
Behind bars is plural and means you are in a prison.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 01:27 pm
Hoow about projecting the American/european politician who had earned your respect?
( Instead of making grammer school teacher I expect some 5 candidates who deserve your regards)
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 09:18 pm
I thank you for your contributions. I learned something new...at least for me. I have been recovering from heart by-pass surgery; I hope to become more attentive to my threads.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 09:36 pm
Welcome, mapleleaf. Sorry about your health problems. I guess I will make a list.

Bobby Kennedy. He started off bad, but I was an enthusiastic supporter of his run for the White House. He would have found an end to the Vietnam debacle years earlier than did Nixon.

Paul Tsongas. He made a genuine effort to find bipartisan, workable solutions.

Jimmy Carter. I was disappointed in his presidencey, but he became the best ex president in my lifetime, with the Carter Foundation, Habitat For Humanity, etc.

Franklin Roosevelt. Many of his social programs were headed in the right direction. Not all, and they were in the end taken advantage of by greedy arrogant politicians.

Bob Dole. Seemed a decent sort. I can't point to any of his acomplishments.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 09:54 pm
I believe we must begin to focus on those individuals about to enter the leadership ranks at the national and world level.

The word hope comes to mind. What people have the ability to draw the best out of the citizens. Who communicate in a way that is up lifting, yet, clear in describing what we have to do.
0 Replies