Another 56 steps through the rainforest

Stradee

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 12:33 pm
Piffka, excellent post!

There are major problems stopping illegal shipments of teak and mahogany from the Brazilain Rainforest, to the United States. Customs seem more intent on prosecuting enviornmental groups for minor infractions instead. Although cases tossed out of federal courts against enviornmentalist groups - the ships are still allowed docking priviledges, and the illegal cargo dispersed.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 01:28 pm
Stradee wrote:
Piffka, excellent post!

There are major problems stopping illegal shipments of teak and mahogany from the Brazilain Rainforest, to the United States. Customs seem more intent on prosecuting enviornmental groups for minor infractions instead. Although cases tossed out of federal courts against enviornmentalist groups - the ships are still allowed docking priviledges, and the illegal cargo dispersed.

Thanks, Stradee. Doesn't that just frost ya?
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 02:10 pm
Piffka, yep.

Without the cooperation needed from the major players <nations> thugs will continue hacking away endangered forests with advocates/enviornmentalists targeted for prosecution and in the tragic case of Dorthy Stang and numerous other activists, their lives.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 02:30 pm
Piffka,
Your posts, and links, are amazing. I am always astounded by how little we understand.

As I move on, I shed more and more of my books, but not this one: "The Attentive Heart", by Stehpanie Kaza.

From the back cover:

"In "The Attentive Heart" we recover our primordial intimacy with trees. We are sheltered, nourished, and insipired by trees both physically and spiritually. Our loss of the forest and woodlands of the world is the loss of so many of our deepest interior experiences: the grace of the willow, the vigor of the oak, the flow of the American elm and ash, the toughness of hickory. In this volume our sensitivity, our attentive heart is awakenend and from there we are on our own." Thomas Berry, author of "The Dream of Earth".

And again,

"In the tradition of Aldo Leopard and Rachel Carson, "The Attentive Heart" draws the reader into the deeper meanings and more heartfelt connections with nature. The book should be read by all people who want to re-connect to the Tree of Life, to our sacred connections with forests. "The Attentive Heart" has my recommendation as the best nature writing of the year." William Devall, author of "Deep Ecolology".
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 02:49 pm
sumac, a wonderful review, thanks.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 02:59 pm
Wonderful reviews are fine, but only if it prompts one to read the book.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 03:03 pm
Piffka and Stradee,

Frosts me, big time. Don't know what to do about it, though.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 03:05 pm
I used to say that if I could come back in a different life form, I would want to come back as a bird.

Now I am thinking that I might like to be a tree.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 03:17 pm
sumac wrote:
I used to say that if I could come back in a different life form, I would want to come back as a bird.

Piffka, be happy with who you are, listen to your heart, and be the best you can be. That's all anyone can ask of themselves or others.

<btw, birds and trees don't have the ability to use a computer>

I vote you return as you are and keep posting those terrific reviews. Smile
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 05:29 pm
I support your views ladies.

Three cheers for Hillary in 2008.

((My thoughts that she will run then are based upon the recent induction of Dean as Chairman of the DNC and especially his vow to not run again for the presidency - Hmmmmm. That - Oh, this isn't the politburo thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry.)))
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 05:38 pm
Quite alright, Dan

Great news regarding Hillary!

<there is a god> Very Happy
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 07:46 pm
Stradee wrote:
sumac wrote:

Piffka, be happy with who you are, listen to your heart, and be the best you can be. That's all anyone can ask of themselves or others.

<btw, birds and trees don't have the ability to use a computer>

I vote you return as you are and keep posting those terrific reviews. Smile

I'm thinking this advice is for Sumac, Stradee, though it is certainly good for anyone. Very Happy

Thanks for the book recommendation, Sumac... I'll be looking for that.
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 07:51 pm
Smile The Orchid is beautiful!
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 10:11 pm
Hi teeny,
You are not going to believe this - but, I have to tell you - a quarter mile from our home there is a person who has raised orchids for over 30 yrs - really beautiful ones.

I agree - the orchid is beautiful.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 06:39 am
My mother and I tried to raise orchids - without a greenhouse, but in a home-made structure with lights and enclosed in plastic to keep the humidity up. It was tough, and not very rewarding. When she died, I donated all of the plants to a wonderful place north of NYC, called, if I remember correctly, Wave Hill.

Most species of orchids are quite demanding in what they need, and don't need, in order to do well. Certain number of hours of daylight, certain number of hours of darkness, certain humitity levels, certain spectrum range of light, food, etc.

You really need a greenhouse. Sigh.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 07:17 am
Dorothy Strang - from today's NYTimes

I was interested in noting that the NYT used two words for rain forest.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 10:11 am
Happy Valentines Day ~

http://www.hellasmultimedia.com/webimages/valentine-htm/valentine/images/roses/Valentin5b.gif
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 11:16 am
Happy Valentines Day all.

Mmmmm........

Chocolate GOOD.................

((Often have wondered why Choco is always LATE!!)) ((And, after consumption is always Choco-lately.))
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 11:25 am
Danon - LOL

Chocolate - chocoontime - chocoearly- or chocoonitsway makes no difference, just so long as it arrives!

Hmmm, and today is choc day!

I plan having a wonderful day ~ and hope the same for all wildclickers!

clicked
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 05:55 pm
You and your 282 friends have supported 1,749,492.5 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 62,291.8 square feet.
You have supported: (34,673.7)
Your 282 friends have supported: (27,618.1)

American Prairie habitat supported: 32,955.5 square feet.
You have supported: (9,293.4)
Your 282 friends have supported: (23,662.1)

Rainforest habitat supported: 1,654,245.2 square feet.
You have supported: (158,850.1)
Your 282 friends have supported: (1,495,395.1)
0 Replies