Another 56 steps through the rainforest

ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 06:54 pm
You and your 282 friends have supported 1,770,962.7 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 64,680.0 square feet.
You have supported: (34,931.2)
Your 282 friends have supported: (29,748.8)

American Prairie habitat supported: 33,283.3 square feet.
You have supported: (9,363.7)
Your 282 friends have supported: (23,919.7)

Rainforest habitat supported: 1,672,999.4 square feet.
You have supported: (159,084.3)
Your 282 friends have supported: (1,513,915.2)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 06:55 pm
1 Aktbird57 .. 1027 40.652 acres
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 09:37 pm
The lioness was snorting and roaring here.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 11:45 pm
Puma chased by Coyote thunder n' lightnin'

stay warm wildclickers
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 07:52 am
Looking for Personality in Animals, Of all People

I almost missed this article. I am sure that you will all enjoy reading it.
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 08:46 am
Stradee wrote:
Danon, yep ~ seems that way. Today was clearing pine needles and other debris from the last storm and noticed the trees sprouted more buds since just a few days ago. At the grocery shopping area, all the trees lining the parking area have white blooms also. Strange weather.

Not sure when to begin the herb garden, plant annuals or what!
If pre-spring any indication of what summer weather will be like... i'm taking a vacation! <grin>

Teeny, the pie sounds scrumptious! I'll bring coffee, and a snowmobile!

<giggling>

Thank god the snows at higher elevations here, but I can't remember a time when there's been so much rain. The good news is water levels way above normal <lakes and rivers> Should be a great summer season for CA.

When all else fails, I cook. Besides reading and channel surfing, there's little else to do! Don't feel like doing crafts; too messy this time of the year! I like to go onto the balcony and spray paint baskets but now, the paint would splash back on me. Wind too high! Hate polishing silver, so I rearrange things and cook.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 10:14 am
Ah teeny, Me too (like to cook). I find it curiously relaxing. Now that my Patti is unable to get up and do much, I have more kitchen time - in the past I wasn't allowed to do anything in the kitchen. grin

Yesterday, I made a Pork Loin stuffed with Spinach, Garlic and Pine nuts. It came out great.

Today for lunch I plan Chicken Breast fileted to about a half inch, layered with Ham (luncheon meat) and Spinach (prepared in a butter sauce) rolled into a roulade shape and after searing cooked in a spiced chicken stock. Cooled, sliced about a half inch thick and served after being moistened with a bit of the stock. Of course, a salad and toast with it. We are at our age - lately eating lighter.

Hey Wildclickers!! Did you know that EACH DAY we as a team are saving approximately 60 trees (on average)

Let's keep those fingers clicking!!

All clicked..........
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 10:26 am
Teeny, I can relate to the silver cleaning! Inherited both my mom and grandmothers silver and crystal, and when cleaning day arrives <and I mean the entire day> I found an easy way for cleaning the smaller peices of silver. An aluminum pan, baking soda, and warm water. Soak for about ten minutes, and voila! The crystal lots easier though - just soak with amonia and hot water, rinse, and that's it.

During severe storms in the mountains, I shut off the computer, and either begin a project that doesn't include electricity, or watch a movie.
Thunder and lightening ear shattering, <scares the heck out of the poor cats> and there's the chance of losing power for a few hours.

Thanks for the link, sumac! Will check in and read this afternoon.

all clicked
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 10:37 am
I'll start preparing for the next thread - if that's ok with everyone.

By the way, did you all know that the MOON rises in the WEST at least one half the time??
((I better answer this one here and now))
If you stand outside on a clear night when the moon is directly overhead - you will notice it traveling and setting in the West. Next night at the same time you notice the moon begins it's travel from a point closer to the Eastern horizon. Next night at the same time it's yet further East - until it begins to appear to rise in the East. About two weeks after this - the moon is first seen at the Western horizon and sets immediately. Next night after that it appears a little higher above the Western horizon and sets immediately. And afterwards, you see the moon each night RISING above the WESTERN horizon (and setting immediately) until it's finally directly overhead like it was when you first began to watch it. So, you see how the moon may be thought of as rising in the West half the time....... (GRIN)

It must have been such a wonderful feeling of mystery for the old ones of prehistory to have noticed these things.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 11:47 am
Fascinating about the moon, Danon. Never heard that. And your cooking sounds so good. I had to satisfy myself with a tuna sandwich on pumernickel and some green pea soup. Good and filling, but hardly gourmet fare.

WHen you do the new thread, can you make sure that I am on the email list?
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 04:11 pm
whoops!

Missed seeing your post, Dan! That is an interesting moon observation
and here I thought the landscape was moving! <grin>

Pattie couldn't have a better caregiver! Please send her our best wishes.

sumac, here's a similar article you might find interesting also.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4265763.stm

Looking forward to the new thread too!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 06:50 pm
You and your 282 friends have supported 1,772,437.8 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 64,797.0 square feet.
You have supported: (34,954.6)
Your 282 friends have supported: (29,842.4)

American Prairie habitat supported: 33,306.7 square feet.
You have supported: (9,363.7)
Your 282 friends have supported: (23,943.1)

Rainforest habitat supported: 1,674,334.0 square feet.
You have supported: (159,084.3)
Your 282 friends have supported: (1,515,249.7)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Aktbird57 .. 1028 40.684 acres
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 06:52 pm
Danon - sounds like you're taking very good care of your Patti.
Do let her know that we appreciate you taking the time to come and click with us.

She's part of our extended family here (I have a marvellous visual of a photo of the two of you on a sofa - smiling - both of you gorgeous as all get out).
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 09:59 pm
danon5 wrote:
Ah teeny, Me too (like to cook). I find it curiously relaxing. Now that my Patti is unable to get up and do much, I have more kitchen time - in the past I wasn't allowed to do anything in the kitchen. grin

Yesterday, I made a Pork Loin stuffed with Spinach, Garlic and Pine nuts. It came out great.

Today for lunch I plan Chicken Breast fileted to about a half inch, layered with Ham (luncheon meat) and Spinach (prepared in a butter sauce) rolled into a roulade shape and after searing cooked in a spiced chicken stock. Cooled, sliced about a half inch thick and served after being moistened with a bit of the stock. Of course, a salad and toast with it. We are at our age - lately eating lighter.

Hey Wildclickers!! Did you know that EACH DAY we as a team are saving approximately 60 trees (on average)

Let's keep those fingers clicking!!

All clicked..........

Wow, Sounds Yummy!
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 05:18 am
Danon - are you still on the TFRs list from faa.gov? From one of their links I got to this news, of interest to owners of both computers and telescopes like yourself!

The amateurs generate TLEs for classified satellites by monitoring military launches, which cannot be hidden, and then spending the time necessary to spot their payloads. Based on precise timings of multiple satellite passes, hobbyists around the world, using computers and their own custom software, can calculate a TLE.

"This measure, like so many security measures taken post-9/11, is completely ineffective in improving security,".....

http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0503/02observing/index2.html

N.B. TLE = two-line elements, the data needed to determine any satellite's orbit
0 Replies

pwayfarer

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:41 am
All clicked in.
Ah,what a good cook you are Danon - your Patti is lucky, just as this Patti was to have had an equally creative cook in Jacques.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:47 am
g'day all ~

Hoft, interesting article. queston With the amount of radio frequencies the government utilizes <all secure and trackable> how could analysis or innacurate sattelite location cause a security risk?
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 09:17 am
Stradee - the idea is that (a) those subjected to satellite surveillance would be able to evade it if they knew exactly when the satellites will be in a position to observe them, and (b) that those sufficiently technologically advanced would be able to take countermeasures such as having our satellites "blinded" by laser beams, silenced with communication-blocking frequencies, or just plain shot down.

The problem with (b) is that anyone so advanced already has plenty of info on what's overhead anyway and doesn't need to get it from public sites. Problem with (a) is they can figure out much of the same info by simply watching the skies and calculating trajectories - there are countless ready-made programs to do that.

I understand the idea is not to make it easier for suspicious characters, but as far as I can tell these proposed restrictions would only bother legitimate users like the communications companies.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 09:39 am
Morn'n all,
Clicked - - -

Interesting stuff re the sat track info made public. Anyone with a dime store telescope could given time assemble the info - but, I wonder why the guys in the security industry would want to give it out to people IDing themselves over the internet?? Don't they know that's impossible to check and that people actually do tell lies?? Oh well, they may be trying to distract most folks with a smoke screen of disinformation to keep attention away from other things.
A significant security risk could possibly result from knowledge of intell sat tracks. It would then be possible for the 'bad' guys to hide their activities at the critical times the sats are looking at them. Back during the mid to late 70's I would occasionally give the bird to a Russian sat that I knew was passing overhead taking photos at my then undisclosed location. grin So you see how the knowledge of an intell sats location could be critical...... big grin Also, during my year in Seoul Korea I would know exactly to the second when the twin "sonic booms" of the SR-71 would sound. Any bad guy could hide all sorts of stuff by knowing that info.

HofT, No, I'm not receiving temp flt restriction info.

wayfarer, Thank you. It's a pleasure to try and be creative making some dishes.

ehBeth, I hate to tell you - our TV is in front of the "big bed" in our master bedroom where we lie and watch. It's really not a pretty picture. BIG GRIN
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 10:29 am
Danon - in years of flying around SoCal airspace I couldn't help noticing some really weird-looking planes being towed into hangars at certain times of day. It was explained to me that's when the Russian satellites were overhead.

What I never discovered is how anybody knew that all of us in dozens of planes of all sizes in the air at the time, plus hundreds of people on the ground, were actually honest folk - I do hope we all were, of course, but I still thought the precautions naive.

Perhaps you're right it's disinformation, or even simpler, not making things too easy for dishonest ones....
0 Replies