Arrogant American Universalism and the Middle East

gezzy

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 07:38 am
Just want to welcome IronLionZion to A2K and watch the debate.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 07:42 am
betting for the lions or the christians, gez?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 07:43 am
Well, Richard the Lionheart was a Christian, wasn't he?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 07:49 am
yes - but the context was different - unless you consider him at war with his own heart?
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 08:07 am
Deb
I'm holding back on all bets at the moment ;-) Too tired for a debate right now, but I could jump in at any moment depending on my mood ;-)
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 08:19 am
Ok, now it's bugging me so I'll throw in just a tad of my input. I'm with the Lion on this one. I believe that America has no business dictating what goes on in other countries.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 10:58 am
Re: Arrogant American Universalism and the Middle East
IronLionZion wrote:
This is true to an extent. American efforts to promote free trade and market based pricing are most prevalent in other parts of the world like Sub-Saharan Africa. However, the core American economic values of capital market liberalization and privitization are often promoted in the Middle East to the detriment of Middle Easterners. Often, this is done through the World Bank and the IMF although there are other avenues.

Seems like a bit of a paradox there in your statements. If those middle-eastern countries don't value these concepts on their own then why would they be applying for loans and/or grants through the World Bank or IMF? They all know how the World Bank and IMF operate. They know the standards. If they don't want to meet those standards then they shouldn't be asking for handouts that have those strings attached.

First you say Western Civilization forces their values down the throats of those in the Middle-East, then when it's pointed out that we actually adopted those values FROM the Middle-East you steer the comment towards Sub-Saharan Africa and then try to slide the Middle-East back in under the guise of the World Bank and IMF. Your logic chain is broken hence, any premise based on the logic is flawed.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 11:02 am
On a frivolous note, Richard Coeur de Lion was a sociopathic, murderous, pederast (he was also homosexual, but i'm not saying being a homosexual made him those other things). Therefore, i would say he was a perfect candidate to be a christian icon.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 11:07 am
gezzy wrote:
Ok, now it's bugging me so I'll throw in just a tad of my input. I'm with the Lion on this one. I believe that America has no business dictating what goes on in other countries.

Perhaps.. But why does every UN Member nation and Humanitarian NGO run around asking others to intercede? The same people complaining about intervention had no problem setting up boycotts and demanding that governments around the world pressure South Africa into abandoning aparthid (or ethnic cleansing in Bosnia and Serbia for that matter..).

Why is it that when the US is supporting the views of those who complain it's great yet when the US supports something they don't like it's none of the US's business? You can't have it both ways.
0 Replies

Dreamweaver MX

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 12:59 pm
fishin' wrote:

Why is it that when the US is supporting the views of those who complain it's great yet when the US supports something they don't like it's none of the US's business? You can't have it both ways.

Why is it that when the world supports a US action it's great and when they don't they are irrelevant? You can't have it both ways.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 01:31 pm
Fishin
I never asked to have it both ways. I think the US should stay out of the business of other countries period. They can't support anyones views without stepping on someones toes, so why not just keep their nose out of it and let other countries deal with their own problem. In my opinion, the US has enough of their own problems to deal with and if they focused on their own afairs, then maybe they wouldn't be known as the big bully they are. Personally I'm sick to my stomache every time I hear this "Super Power" crap! I've never heard anything so arrogant in my life. I don't think that just because a country has more money than all other countries that they should go around calling themselves a "Super Power"! If that's not an insult to the rest of the world, then I don't know what is. Everytime I hear Bush make threats it reminds me of the bullies I went to school with and he is no more mature as they were. From where I sit it looks like the US is trying to govern the whole world and what we are seeing now is the world fighting back. Either way, it's not a good thing.

I knew I should have stayed out of this one, lol!
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 02:22 pm
fishin' wrote:

Seems like a bit of a paradox there in your statements. If those middle-eastern countries don't value these concepts on their own then why would they be applying for loans and/or grants through the World Bank or IMF? They all know how the World Bank and IMF operate. They know the standards. If they don't want to meet those standards then they shouldn't be asking for handouts that have those strings attached.

Paradox?

You ask "If those Middle Eastern countries don't value these concepts on thier own they why would they be applying for loans and/or grants throiugh the World Bank and IMF?" I would have thought the answer to this question was obvious. First of all, they apply for the loans because they need
Quote:

First you say Western Civilization forces their values down the throats of those in the Middle-East, then when it's pointed out that we actually adopted those values FROM the Middle-East you steer the comment towards Sub-Saharan Africa and then try to slide the Middle-East back in under the guise of the World Bank and IMF. Your logic chain is broken hence, any premise based on the logic is flawed.

You did not point out that we adopted these values FROM the Middle East, and if you did, then you are wrong. I can see where your coming from though and I admit that many of the economic values of modern Western civilization originated in, or were present in, historical Middle East. But surely you can see the difference between historical trade methods in the Middle East and modern economic values on an international scale. The bottom line is that they do not share some of our economic values and America is trying to impose them.

A word of advice, do not be so haughty as to dismiss someones arguments as disdainfully as you have. You give the impression that other peoples viewpoints are silly and stupid yet you do not support your opinion. Especially when you casually throw around accusations of paradoxes, say i am trying to slither out of debate, and make bold assumptions like "your logic chain is broken." I know that what i said isn't the definitive truth and I am open to changing my stance if i am persuaded otherwise. People will respect you more if you retain a little humility. :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 02:40 pm
Brilliant analysis of IMF and World Bank realities I think, IronLionZion!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 02:42 pm
gezzy wrote:
Fishin
I never asked to have it both ways. I think the US should stay out of the business of other countries period. They can't support anyones views without stepping on someones toes, so why not just keep their nose out of it and let other countries deal with their own problem.

I wasn't pointing at you gezzy. I was speaking towards the larger issue of the actions of many people - not anyone in specific.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 02:42 pm
I agree with dlowan.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 02:48 pm
I know Fishin, I guess I just got carried away ;-) I hope I didn't offend you in any way sweetie ;-) I really do know better than to stick my foot into political questions. I was just sitting in the back, minding my own business and Deb came and pulled me out on stage, so it's all her fault, lol!
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 03:07 pm
gezzy wrote:
They can't support anyones views without stepping on someones toes,

Thats what it all comes down to isn't it. Can't argue with that. It's sort of like the crux of all political issues.:wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 03:09 pm
Yes - but the trick is the decision about when to step and when not to...
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 03:21 pm
dlowan wrote:
Yes - but the trick is the decision about when to step and when not to...

It is, indeed.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 03:22 pm
IronLionZion wrote:
You ask "If those Middle Eastern countries don't value these concepts on thier own they why would they be applying for loans and/or grants throiugh the World Bank and IMF?" I would have thought the answer to this question was obvious. First of all, they apply for the loans because they need the money.

If their preferred econimic system isn't under the same basic value system then they'd have no need for the money from the IMF or World Bank. They also have the option of going to other International (or private) bodies that have no such requirements.

Quote:
Many developing nations feel they need these loans, and because these organizations are heavily influenced by a handful of Western nations, those nations use that leverage to promote thier economic values and interests.

Standard Catch 22. The countries are influenced by the World Bank and IMF which only has the ability to influence nations if those nations go to them. If those countries don't go to the IMF or World Bank then those institutions have no influence. Who makes the initial move? The nation seeking the money or the World Bank and IMF?

Quote:
Secondly, the IMF and World Bank are supposed to be international non-political organizations: meaning that they are not supposed to have any hidden agenda. So your premise that nations should only apply for loans if they agree with certain economic values is flawed, because the World Bank and IMF are not supposed to be involved in promoting economic values in the first place.

You had better go read up on the purpose of the IMF again. From the IMF's Homepage:

The purposes of the International Monetary Fund are:

(i) To promote international monetary cooperation through a permanent institution which provides the machinery for consultation and collaboration on international monetary problems.

(ii) To facilitate the expansion and balanced growth of international trade, and to contribute thereby to the promotion and maintenance of high levels of employment and real income and to the development of the productive resources of all members as primary objectives of economic policy.

(iii) To promote exchange stability, to maintain orderly exchange arrangements among members, and to avoid competitive exchange depreciation.

(iv) To assist in the establishment of a multilateral system of payments in respect of current transactions between members and in the elimination of foreign exchange restrictions which hamper the growth of world trade.

(v) To give confidence to members by making the general resources of the Fund temporarily available to them under adequate safeguards, thus providing them with opportunity to correct maladjustments in their balance of payments without resorting to measures destructive of national or international prosperity.

(vi) In accordance with the above, to shorten the duration and lessen the degree of disequilibrium in the international balances of payments of members.

Every one of those items from their statement of purpose is a statement of a value with overall values of free trade and global economic stablity and if there is anyone that believes that "monetary cooperation", "international trade", "employment", "development of the productive resources", etc.. aren't all political issues then I have a bridge to sell them.

The World Bank's purpose from their WWW site:

What is the World Bank

The World Bank Group is one of the world's largest sources of development assistance. In fiscal year 2002, the institution provided US$19.5 billion in loans to its client countries. It works in more than 100 developing economies with the primary focus of helping the poorest people and the poorest countries. For all its clients the Bank emphasizes the need for:

- Investing in people, particularly through basic health and education
- Focusing on social development, inclusion, governance, and institution-
building as key elements of poverty reduction
- Strengthening the ability of the governments to deliver quality services,
efficiently and transparently
- Protecting the environment
- Supporting and encouraging private business development
- Promoting reforms to create a stable macroeconomic environment,
conducive to investment and long-term planning

Again, each statment expresses a value towards economic policy and again, issues like "health", "education", goverenment delivery of services", "environment" and a "macroeconomic environment, conducive to investment and long-term planning" aren't political they are only fooling themselves.

All of this is straight off of both organizations Web sites. Where is the "hidden agenda"? It seems to be hiding in plain sight.

Quote:
In other words there are not supposed to be any "handouts" with economic values as "strings attached."

The purposes of both organizations clearly state otherwise. No where does either group claim to be a charity.

Quote:
Now, unlike some people, I will actually support my opinion,

The IMF and the World bank are supposed to be international, non-political and purely economic organizations.

And as shown, your opinion is based on several false views of what the World Bank and IMF are.

Quote:
You did not point out that we adopted these values FROM the Middle East, and if you did, then you are wrong. I can see where your coming from though and I admit that many of the economic values of modern Western civilization originated in, or were present in, historical Middle East.

Ummm.. Yeah.. So I'm wrong but you admit you can see where I'm right..

Quote:
But surely you can see the difference between historical trade methods in the Middle East and modern economic values on an international scale. The bottom line is that they do not share some of our economic values and America is trying to impose them.

You are mixing issues here. I never said anything about METHODS. I addressed VALUES.

Quote:
A word of advice, do not be so haughty as to dismiss someones arguments as disdainfully as you have. You give the impression that other peoples viewpoints are silly and stupid yet you do not support your opinion. Especially when you casually throw around accusations of paradoxes, say i am trying to slither out of debate, and make bold assumptions like "your logic chain is broken." I know that what i said isn't the definitive truth and I am open to changing my stance if i am persuaded otherwise. People will respect you more if you retain a little humility. :wink:

If you view someone referring to something you say as a "paradox" to be disdainful and are so thin-skinned as to take that as an insult then I have a bit of advice for you. Shut off your computer, get off the Internet and go hide in a closet. You asked for debate and I pointed out some weaknesses in your stated position. Claims of being attacked when someone presents any opposition to your stated opinion isn't debate or discussion. It's crying. If I choose to insult you it wouldn't be so pretty and you'll know it.
0 Replies