Women's archery equipment

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 08:05 pm
There was exactly one thing I used to be afraid of in highschool, which was archery in girls phys ed. The only two safe places to stand were directly in front of the target or 200 yards or more away. A lot seems to have changed in the last 40 years...

I was at the Harrisburg Pa Outdoor Show Monday wiith a buddy who'd never touched a bow since grade school and this is a guy whose doctor told him he had a year or so to live about five years ago, and is clearly in no condition to be pulling a heavy bow.

Now my buddy came with me when I went to the archery area of the show, mainly to get questions answered about High Country's 5.5 grain/inch arrows and how they're setting them to 240 grains or thereabout and Cindy Land of High Country (the president's wife) let my buddy take a few shots with HER bow, one of High Country's carbonfibre riser bows set at just over 40 lbs.

http://www.highcountryarchery.com/

Now, nobody who's used to watching ordinary 40 lb bows expects to see a 40-lb bow shooting at 270 feet/second, but there it was. My buddy was pretty much flabbergasted.

http://www.highcountryarchery.com/images/bows/bow_perfx_carb.jpg

Moreover it turns out Mrs. Land has killed several deer with that bow including one of the biggest taken in Texas last year.

http://www.highcountryarchery.com/sportsman/cindyland.htm

If anybody's laughing at women's archery anymore, Bambi isn't amongst them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,091 • Replies: 43
No top replies

littlek

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 08:12 pm
Well gungasnake, the start of your thread is obnoxious - I took archery in Jr HS and I nailed the target every single time.

But, I can't help commenting on how cool that bow is.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 08:20 pm
littlek wrote:
Well gungasnake, the start of your thread is obnoxious - I took archery in Jr HS and I nailed the target every single time.

But, I can't help commenting on how cool that bow is.

That bow is way cooler than it looks. The riser is of carbonfibre, much stronger and lighter than aircraft aluminum and much more dense so it makes less noise than ambient forest noise so that even at 30 or 40 yards a deer isn't going to jump the string. The bow weights about two pounds which is about half of normal and the limbs are of military grade materials so that it can shoot arrows so light they'd destroy almost all other bows on the market. Set at 75 lbs, that same bow shoots around 340 feet/sec, mneaning you only need three sight settings to shoot to about 60 yards.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 09:11 pm
hmm
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 09:18 pm
Not I. I have gone to indoor and outdoor shooting ranges and fired handguns and shotguns.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 09:26 pm
paulaj wrote:

Anyone here ever shoot a crossbow, or a pistol crossbow?

Let me tell you something funny...

Ever wonder why the crossbow was never the ultimate weapon of war in the middle ages?

Basically, what you're looking at in a drawn bow is stored energy and energy is measured in foot-pounds. The crossbow has the pounds, but simply does not have the feet.

I've had several instances in which I'd be practicing with one of my heavy bows, anywhere from 75 - 90 lbs, and somebody would be standing next to me shooting a 125 - 150-lb crossbow at the same targets and you could see and hear the difference. The crossbow simply does not shoot as hard. My arrows would be going through the targets and the crossbow bolts would not be.

Nonetheless if you feel you need one, crossbows are cheap items on ebay:

http://sporting-goods.listings.ebay.com/Bows_Crossbows_W0QQfromZR4QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ33972QQsocmdZListingItemList
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 09:28 pm
using a cross-bow is like wearing gloves to garden.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 09:37 pm
I didn't know that.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 09:39 pm
yikes, sounds scary!

I went to the middle of no where with my boss and one coworker. In Georgia. I was have way between east b-f and the set of deliverence with a car full of guns and ammo. i thought - am I mad!?!?! But, we had fun and no one was killed.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 09:50 pm
Wow
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 10:00 pm
I'm liking you girls more, all the time.

By the way, it's B-F, Egypt, Rottenkrotch, Georgia, and Scratchass, Alaska.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 10:27 pm
gungasnake wrote:
The crossbow simply does not shoot as hard. My arrows would be going through the targets and the crossbow bolts would not be.

Well well.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 11:35 pm
paulaj wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
The crossbow simply does not shoot as hard. My arrows would be going through the targets and the crossbow bolts would not be.

I don't want to kill anything, or win a contest, I just wanted to see what it felt like to shoot one.

There's no noticable recoil to a crossbow if that's what you mean. Other than that it's like shooting a rifle with the world's cheesiest trigger. That's because the sear on a rifle is only holding the weight of the firing-pin spring while the sear on a crossbow is holding a string set to 125 or 150 lbs.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 11:36 pm
roger wrote:

what's B-F?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 11:39 pm
littlek wrote:
roger wrote:

what's B-F?

bum f___
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 11:41 pm
hahahaha, I can't believe I missed my own cryptic abbreviation. Thanks gungasnake.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 11:53 pm
gungasnake wrote:
There's no noticable recoil to a crossbow if that's what you mean. Other than that it's like shooting a rifle with the world's cheesiest trigger.

I see.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 11:53 pm
Gungasnake, you need to get out into the rest of the site more often.

Bows don't work for me anymore, littlek. I've a stainless left shoulder joint that won't let me get the arm horizontal, though it would support a moderate draw weight, if I were shooting strictly downhill.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 11:55 pm
stainless? Really? I thought they used plastic of some sort - what happened to your real shoulder joint?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 11:56 pm
paulaj wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
There's no noticable recoil to a crossbow if that's what you mean. Other than that it's like shooting a rifle with the world's cheesiest trigger.

I still want to shoot one. Don't you like trying new things?

Life is too short to have urges like that left sitting around when you can buy the things for $200 on ebay....
0 Replies