Women's archery equipment

gungasnake

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 11:58 pm
roger wrote:
Gungasnake, you need to get out into the rest of the site more often.

Bows don't work for me anymore, littlek. I've a stainless left shoulder joint that won't let me get the arm horizontal, though it would support a moderate draw weight, if I were shooting strictly downhill.

Virtually ALL deerhunting with bows is shooting downhill (from treestands)...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 12:00 am
well, that doesn't seem fair.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 12:00 am
Well, mine is stainless! The x-rays are blinding. I broke off the top of the humourous into too many pieces to be repairable. If you're really interested, they ream out the bone and glue in a spike. A rounded disc fits on top of that, and is secured with a set screw.

Sure hope it doesn't unscrew itself. I don't know if there's a warranty on VA repairs or not.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 12:01 am
gungasnake wrote:
Life is too short to have urges like that left sitting around when you can buy the things for $200 on ebay....[/quote]
I'll have to go to Maine to shoot it, and who is going to teach me how to use it. I don't know anyone that has a crossbow.

I'm out of luck, for now.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 12:02 am
roger - what about metal detectors at airports?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 12:10 am
If I don't set them off, they are broke.

Last time I departed Orlando, I went through the metal detector and the guy says "Take of your shoes." I told him for the second time, it was my shoulder, and he says "Take off your shoes, SIR." I did. I took off my belt. They found my spare car key in my billfold. Finally, they gave up and admitted it really was my shoulder. Sure glad I wasn't wearing shorts with metal snaps. They would have been checking for a crotch holster.

For some odd reason, I also have to take antibiotics before having my teeth cleaned, too. Not sure the relationship to the joint, but they're quite firm about it.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 07:23 am
roger wrote:

My underwire bra set a metal detector off once. "Empty your pockets mam" I did everything they asked and it still beeped. "It's my bra, it has a wire!"
I was close to being strip searched...hmmm, if I played my cards right, I could have had a good time.

Next trip.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 07:37 am
According to legend Amazon warriors would remove an offending breast so there would be no hindrance to using a bow. Hope they don't do that anymore.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 07:47 am
paulaj wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
Life is too short to have urges like that left sitting around when you can buy the things for $200 on ebay....

I'll have to go to Maine to shoot it, and who is going to teach me how to use it. I don't know anyone that has a crossbow.

I'm out of luck, for now.

Look at the pictures of crossbows on ebay. Most if not all of them have a foot stirrup; you put a foot in the stirrup and then pull the string with both hands on either side of the lock until the string locks to cock the thing, then load an arrow, take the safety off and shoot.

Many of them are in the 150 - 160 lb range and you may or may not be able to pull that to cock it. If not, you'd have to reduce the tension of the bow and all modern bows are set for poundage with allen-head screws; you simply back the screws out to reduce poundage, but both screws HAVE to be set the same number of turns out. You turn the one a half turn, then the other a half turn, and so on.

Next you'd have to sight the thing in properly and I'd recommend that you toss the pin sights which come with them; NCStar makes a decent little holograph/red-dot sight for crossbows which is $20 on ebay.

After all that you're ready to shoot but, like I say, the crossbow was never anybody's idea of an ultimate weapon; the English longbow and Turko-Mongol composite bow were the ultimate weapons between the fall of Rome and the advent of usable gunpowder weapons.

Simpler, cheaper, easier to use and more interesting to my thinking for those interested in weaponry of past ages would be a modern flintlock rifle like they use for deerhunting in PA.

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/upfiles/58755/Sq466892987.jpg

The basic flintlock really was the ultimate weapon of war for two centuries from early 1600s to early 1800s. It was the first effective firearm which was cheap enough to produce to be useful.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 07:49 am
paulaj wrote:
roger wrote:

My underwire bra set a metal detector off once. "Empty your pockets mam" I did everything they asked and it still beeped. "It's my bra, it has a wire!"
I was close to being strip searched...hmmm, if I played my cards right, I could have had a good time.

Next trip.

Are there any stories about middleschool kids playing 'TSA agent' instead of 'doctor' yet?
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 12:48 pm
"TSA?"..
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 12:59 pm
Wow, can't believe I missed this thread. Here's another bow worthy of consideration. The Nuge Bow, available in several draw weights.

http://www.renegadebows.com/p-nuge.html

Littlek, the reason most deer are shot from treestands is that you have to be so close, typically less than 30 yards, to take a shot. You have to either wait along a known deer trail or draw them in with bait. Baiting isn't always legal, though many hunters eat an apple (to cover their breath) then throw the core down in front of their stand.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 01:09 pm
By they way, that carbon Perfx is a beautiful bow. In honor of this thread, I started a new one at a site where there are more bowhunters and shooters.

http://nugeboard.tednugent.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/209211.html
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 01:09 pm
Roger, do you have a heart murmur?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 01:11 pm
No, why do you ask, littlek?

That's Transportation Safety Agent, Paula. They're the ones frisking people to make sure the metal really is an underwire.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 01:20 pm
paulaj wrote:
"TSA?"...Tits, Sex & Ass?

Gunga, could we keep this thread clean for the sake of A2K as a "hole?"

I lose track of what it stands for but it's the acronym for the new security agency.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 01:23 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Wow, can't believe I missed this thread. Here's another bow worthy of consideration. The Nuge Bow, available in several draw weights.

http://www.renegadebows.com/p-nuge.html

Littlek, the reason most deer are shot from treestands is that you have to be so close, typically less than 30 yards, to take a shot. You have to either wait along a known deer trail or draw them in with bait. Baiting isn't always legal, though many hunters eat an apple (to cover their breath) then throw the core down in front of their stand.

The main thing you're trying to do with tree stands is get human scent above Bambi's nose level.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 01:26 pm
There are many advantages...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 01:28 pm
On the subject of crossbows, why are they illegal in some states? Who made up that stupid rule?

Many disabled hunters can only hunt bow season using a crossbow. Discrimination comes in all forms.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 03:36 pm
:wink:
0 Replies